Who here actually saw Star Wars Episode IV in 1977?

Maverick

I saw it in the theatre back then.

I also saw all three again in the theatre when they were re-released about 18-19 years ago.

I saw the re-released Episodes IV and V, but I skipped seeing VI. I just didn't like what George Lucas did to the originals.

Yeah, I hear you. I wanted to kick him in the sack with each re-release I saw. I was a sucker! I should've left them alone!

• Like 1

I also saw all three again in the theatre when they were re-released about 18-19 years ago.

Same here. And 18-19 years ago I thought, "Why the hell was that added?" All those additions never helped. They either didn't matter or made it worse. Again, as I said in the other thread, I blame George Lucas for any fuckup or misunderstanding.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Exactly. I'd like to shoot Lucas FIRST, SECOND, and THIRD!!!!

• Like 1

I saw the re-released Episodes IV and V, but I skipped seeing VI. I just didn't like what George Lucas did to the originals.

Yeah, I hear you. I wanted to kick him in the sack with each re-release I saw. I was a sucker! I should've left them alone!

Some of the enhanced special effects were good. But some of the stupid little things he added were just plain dumb.

The original Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw in the theater. I was four years old. I remember it well, too- at the old Cinema 1, at the Dayton Mall. It held something like 1100 people, if I'm not mistaken. (I might be, but I don't think so). Big, billowing red velvet curtains with gold embroidery and fringe along the bottom of them, draped in front of the screen. For a mall theater, it was really nice.
  • Like 1

Same here. And 18-19 years ago I thought, "Why the hell was that added?" All those additions never helped. They either didn't matter or made it worse. Again, as I said in the other thread, I blame George Lucas for any fuckup or misunderstanding.

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Greedo didn't even get a shot off if I remember correctly.

I did. I was 4 I think.

All I remember was when Luke was looking through the binoculars and the sand person jumped up with the stick all AHHH AHHH AHHH!!!

I remember this because it was scary lol.

Saw Empire and remembered much more of that one. At the time, the line to buy tickets at the theater went throughout the whole building (it was a stand alone building), outside and halfway around the thing. It was nuts.

I was a freshman in HS when it came out. That Halloween some older girls dressed up as Jawas, complete with little red lights glowing inside their hoods. Apparently it made an impression on me because I still remember that!
  • Like 1

I remember not long after Star Wars came out, Roger from "What's Happening?" told someone that he was in Star Wars. He said he was the "gold robot" then pretended to gesture like C3PO.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/whatshappening/whmarathon7.jpg

:LOL:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I was a ten year old boy when SW came out in '77, the perfect demographic for being a fan of the movie.

My friend, Jeff, came over to my house the weekend that it came out and couldn't stop raving about how great it was. The following weekend we went to see it together.

I remember the opening scene very vividly, with the Star Destroyer pursuing the Blockade Runner. As the point of the Destroyer got wider...and wider...and wider...so did my youthful eyes. Other members of the audience were similarly enthralled and there were whispered gasps as the size of the ship kept growing until it overwhelmed the edges of the screen. I was totally hooked.

That movie set me off on an addiction that would last for two or three years. I collected action figures, magazines, trading cards, comic books...until my hormones kicked into top gear and my first addiction was replaced with my second...Girls.

Most of my SW viewings took place at Glenwood Theater in Overland Park, Kansas, which ran the movie continuously for about a year-and-a-half. I don't know how many times I ended up going to see it in the theater in total, but I kept a running count for a while, and the figure gets fuzzy after 60. An estimated final count would probably put me at about 75 to 80 theater viewings.

• Like 2

Saw Amityville Horror with my parents when I was 6 or 7. Was scared of the dark for a few years after that.

Staying at my grandma's apartment. Her landlord (Greek Immigrants) had a boy my age. We convinced his parents to take us to Amityville Horror. Slept in my sister's room on the floor for days afterwards!
  • Like 2

Was in San Diego in 77' for a Bar Mitzvah of a cousin. I was 9 years old. We were all going to a "movie" one night and I remember vividly as we approached the theater why on earth was there a line of people wrapped all the way around the building!

I saw the 1977 one at a drive in, the next 2 at the movie theater.

The 3 released recently I watched on TV.

I plan to watch the new one off a Chinese website tomorrow.

THAT - Is how you advance as a species people

Except the experience can't be as cool as watching it in a theater with a bunch of other people screaming and yelling and generally having fun. :)

• Like 3

Except the experience can't be as cool as watching it in a theater with a bunch of other people screaming and yelling and generally having fun. :)

I want nothing to do with those lunatics.

I have only been to the theater 3 times this century and have NO plans on ever going back.

I have HD, my own drinks, Bose sound, a comfortable chair and 55 inch screen.

I do miss the sticky floor, the 20 minutes of previews, the woman talking in row 8, the kid crying in row 5 and........shall I continue??

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

I have only been to the theater 3 times this century and have NO plans on every going back.

I do miss the sticky floor, the 20 minutes of previews, the woman talking in row 8, the kid crying in row 5 and........shall I continue??

I saw the new one last night in a theater that was maybe 3/4 full and fairly subdued. We waited until the end of credits not knowing there wasn't a surprise scene which seems to be mandatory these days. What was shocking was the condition the viewers left the theater in. I felt sorry for the 2 girls tasked with cleaning it in time for the next mob.

• Like 1

I have only been to the theater 3 times this century and have NO plans on every going back.

I saw the new one last night in a theater that was maybe 3/4 full and fairly subdued. We waited until the end of credits not knowing there wasn't a surprise scene which seems to be mandatory these days. What was shocking was the condition the viewers left the theater in. I felt sorry for the 2 girls tasked with cleaning it in time for the next mob.

They are disgusting. I've always thrown away my trash, but apparently that is old school.

Sad. My hat is off to you for going out to see this in theater. And on Night 1 no less.

I guess it depends on the theater. I still enjoy it especially if it's a popular movie and people are really into it.

Disembodied has a point with his list of home amenities. The Warren Theater chain is top-notch and clean, I think people even behave better there because the pride and five star experience rubs off. Unfortunately the nearest Warren is 90 minutes away so I'm going to crappy local theater in the morning. Then I will populate the other thread. ;)

• Like 2

I guess it depends on the theater. I still enjoy it especially if it's a popular movie and people are really into it.

Disembodied has a point with his list of home amenities. The Warren Theater chain is top-notch and clean, I think people even behave better there because the pride and five star experience rubs off. Unfortunately the nearest Warren is 90 minutes away so I'm going to crappy local theater in the morning. Then I will populate the other thread. ;)

They have a morning showing?