Geddy in Tokyo Collecting More Basses

DirkPrattLerxst

It would be weird hearing him play a Precision on a studio recording (not counting the debut). The sound is so different from the Jazz.

You think? I think he tends to sound like himself regardless of what he plays. He has such a processed tone that I doubt it would make too much difference.

He gives whatever he plays the "Geddy" treatment for sure, but even on R40 Live on Roll The Bones - when he's playing a Precision, I can hear the difference pretty clearly, less so than when he was on the Thunderbird for Animate. I'm not a bass player (I prefer 6 over 4) so you probably have much more experience playing with both, but I can hear a lot more "punchy" bottom end coming out of the Precisions than I can out of the Jazzes.

The low mids are certainly stronger on a Precision than a Jazz. I thought that '58 he used on this tour was one of the better sounding basses (by better, I mean top 3 or so).

The Thunderbird may have been the best sounding of all of them.

I really dug the sound of that Thunderbird. Gave Animate more bottom end than I am accustomed to hearing from his Number One, but it still had that same treble and ferocity that he gets out of that Jazz.

That and the dark wood finish on that bass is astoundingly beautiful.

Beautiful.

Lifes does indeed go on. Geds is still interested in playing it seems... which means to me that the creative juices will flow if they aren't already. Resulting in recorded work of one band name or another.

Fine with me. I'm a Rush fan, but I'm also a Geddy fan. Bring it Dirk!

• Like 1

I bet Geddy stayed at Johnny Blaze's house. ;)

:) Apparently Geddy does have friends in Tokyo. So I imagine he did visit them along with going on his toy shopping expedition.

Did you know he was there or did you just find out from this thread?

Found out (my) last night...which would've been around 5am west coast U.S. Monday.

• Like 1

I suspect he may have had different sounds dialed in for each of the songs on the tour. As different as a P or A thunderbird sounds from a J, going throuh all his electronics the output will be lmost the same.

But as others have posted the Thunderbird on Animate has so much bottom end, and the P had a throw you back 3 rows kind of bottom. You don't get that, to that extent, with the same processing. Just my guess.

I don't even like th song RTB, but I gotta give the man props for the bass sound. Wow.