Geddy in Tokyo Collecting More Basses

DirkPrattLerxst

Geddy posted two pictures on his Instagram today of him playing a '63 sonic blue P bass and a '58 P bass in Tokyo. Maybe we'll hear him playing a P bass on the next album?

He certainly sounded good on the first album with one. I saw the pics on Instagram. Looks like he definitely has the bass GAS. (gear acquisition syndrome) :)

• Like 1

It would be weird hearing him play a Precision on a studio recording (not counting the debut). The sound is so different from the Jazz.

You think? I think he tends to sound like himself regardless of what he plays. He has such a processed tone that I doubt it would make too much difference.

• Like 3

It would be weird hearing him play a Precision on a studio recording (not counting the debut). The sound is so different from the Jazz.

You think? I think he tends to sound like himself regardless of what he plays. He has such a processed tone that I doubt it would make too much difference.

He gives whatever he plays the "Geddy" treatment for sure, but even on R40 Live on Roll The Bones - when he's playing a Precision, I can hear the difference pretty clearly, less so than when he was on the Thunderbird for Animate. I'm not a bass player (I prefer 6 over 4) so you probably have much more experience playing with both, but I can hear a lot more "punchy" bottom end coming out of the Precisions than I can out of the Jazzes.

• Like 1

I just saw the pics and that is awesome! :D

Its crazy thou, he just ended a tour and he is already out there looking for new basses. Basses that he may never be able to play on any Rush tour...

Its crazy thou, he just ended a tour and he is already out there looking for new basses. Basses that he may never be able to play on any Rush tour...

Just a sign from him that life continues to go on, I think.

I understand what you're getting at. But it seems Geddy's motto (and the rest of the band's, for that matter) is 'ever onward'.

the more guns i used to use in Call Of Duty the worse i got overall, so i ditched em all except the one that got regular good results, just sayin.

not that other folks would benefit from the same technique, worth thinkin about though. dont over-complicate all the time. find something nice and simple which works for you and play with it :)

the more guns i used to use in Call Of Duty the worse i got overall, so i ditched em all except the one that got regular good results, just sayin.

not that other folks would benefit from the same technique, worth thinkin about though. dont over-complicate all the time. find something nice and simple which works for you and play with it :)

I hear you BUT Geddy's always been a tinkerer. And he likes his toys.

Geddy is a collector. Baseball memorabilia, wine...and it looks like he's getting serious about his collection of vintage basses. Nothing else to read into here -- it's a hobby.

Geddy is a collector. Baseball memorabilia, wine...and it looks like he's getting serious about his collection of vintage basses. Nothing else to read into here -- it's a hobby.

What's more is I think it's also not unusual at all for a serious (and commercially successful) musician to build a collection of instruments he or she loves, like that. Geddy is certainly not the only one.

Geddy posted two pictures on his Instagram today of him playing a '63 sonic blue P bass and a '58 P bass in Tokyo. Maybe we'll hear him playing a P bass on the next album?

Good to know! Geddy dominates basses as extensions of himself and I believe he'll do a great job, as always. :ebert:

What's more is I think it's also not unusual at all for a serious (and commercially successful) musician to build a collection of instruments he or she loves, like that. Geddy is certainly not the only one.

John Entwistle is the classic example. His instrument collection counted in the hundreds. I remember them being auctioned off after his death.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/images/John-Entwistle-a.jpg

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Because playing computer games is the same as being a professional bass player.

Bet you are fantastic at Rock Band...

Collectors are weird that way.

John Entwistle is the classic example. His instrument collection counted in the hundreds. I remember them being auctioned off after his death.

http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/images/John-Entwistle-a.jpg

I believe there is an app out there now for George Harrison's old guitars too. At least they weren't sold because his son shows off a few of them

• Like 1

Because playing computer games is the same as being a professional bass player.

Bet you are fantastic at Rock Band...

Actually, there's some truth to what he's saying .I've found that all the plastic guitars I bought for that game made me worse at guitar because I wasn't playing a real instrument.

He gives whatever he plays the "Geddy" treatment for sure, but even on R40 Live on Roll The Bones - when he's playing a Precision, I can hear the difference pretty clearly, less so than when he was on the Thunderbird for Animate. I'm not a bass player (I prefer 6 over 4) so you probably have much more experience playing with both, but I can hear a lot more "punchy" bottom end coming out of the Precisions than I can out of the Jazzes.

The low mids are certainly stronger on a Precision than a Jazz. I thought that '58 he used on this tour was one of the better sounding basses (by better, I mean top 3 or so).

The Thunderbird may have been the best sounding of all of them.

• Like 1