Rush committed to one more album

x1yyz

They do a sequel to 2112 - 2122, it's ten years later and life under the new regime is perfect. Everyone is allowed to pursue their dreams and desires, all the slackers, fools, incompetents, leaches have been reeducated, relocated or repurposed, a Randian utopia. Life is perfect... or is it?

Thee ya go Neil, I give to you free of charge, you're welcome.

OOH! They should make an album linking 2112 to the Cygnus saga!

I hope no to both.

Most obvious, relevant topic to tackle lyrically: racism.

How bored to tears I would be.

You would be bored to tears at a G.G. Allin concert.

• Like 2

They do a sequel to 2112 - 2122, it's ten years later and life under the new regime is perfect. Everyone is allowed to pursue their dreams and desires, all the slackers, fools, incompetents, leaches have been reeducated, relocated or repurposed, a Randian utopia. Life is perfect... or is it?

I hope no to both.

You would be bored to tears at a G.G. Allin concert.

Yeah, maybe say that there isn't much going on and everyone's just standing around

I hope no to both.

Most obvious, relevant topic to tackle lyrically: racism. Not saying I want that but I am saying it seems more probable than a return to any of their 70s lyrics.

Racism was relevant in the 70s ... and so was Rush, even though the two didn't necessarily overlap

When a lyricist goes from wanting to take the listener somewhere to wanting to tell the listener his or her perspective, they lose me very quickly

• Like 2

I hope no to both.

Most obvious, relevant topic to tackle lyrically: racism. Not saying I want that but I am saying it seems more probable than a return to any of their 70s lyrics.

Racism was relevant in the 70s ... and so was Rush, even though the two didn't necessarily overlap

When a lyricist goes from wanting to take the listener somewhere to wanting to tell the listener his or her perspective, they lose me very quickly

Yeah. And?

I hope no to both.

Yeah. And?

You implied racism is a new thing - it was relevant in 1970s and Neil didn't write about it then

I hope no to both.

Yeah. And?

You implied racism is a new thing - it was relevant in 1970s and Neil didn't write about it then

Sorry but no I did not imply it was a new thing. I didn't imply that it wasn't relevant in the 70s either. What I DID do is outright say that it's a more probable theme than the other two ideas (2122 and lyrics about a connected storyline from 2112to Cygnus). AND I said racism is relevant now. Being relevant now doesn't mean it couldn't have been/wasn't relevant in the past...but you know that already.

I hope no to both.

Yeah. And?

Sorry but no I did not imply it was a new thing. I didn't imply that it wasn't relevant in the 70s either. What I DID do is outright say that it's a more probable theme than the other two ideas (2122 and lyrics about a connected storyline from 2112to Cygnus). AND I said racism is relevant now. Being relevant now doesn't mean it couldn't have been/wasn't relevant in the past...but you know that already.

I agree that it is more likely that we'd get current social commentary from Neil than any return to a story resembling 2112, even though 2112 was rooted in a form of social observation ..

Neil had creative fire back then ..

Edited by Lucas

I hope no to both.

I am lost.

• Like 1

Those usually aren't iron clad. Some have out together greatest hits with one new song and managed to meet the requirements as well.

Yep. And the reality is that none of us have read the language of the contract. There could be some various out options in there that Curran has not considered, is not aware of, or just does not want to mention for reasons of wanting to coax another full studio project. The article suggests that Curran is new to the Rush management scene by way of purchasing Anthem/SRO. If so, has a very obvious motivation to make a broad comment they are obligated to one more studio project, without providing all the accurate details that may not favor his position.

And even if the band is truly committed to one full studio project by contract, the reality is the company would have to be willing to enforce that contract. In other words, the company would have to be willing to sue the band to get the final studio project. While that seems a "legally logical" thing to do, it is not necessarily so. Let's say the band is sued and forced to put together a new studio album. Let's say Neil decides he does not want to do it and Geddy and Alex have to bring on a different drummer to meet the obligation. Is the record company going to get its "bang for the buck" with a Peart-less Rush studio album? That is a risk. Let's say Neil reluctantly and half-heartedly agrees only out of legal obligation and his connection to Geddy and Alex. Is the record company going to get is "bang for the buck" with an album in which Peart may be "mailing it in" in regard to the contract? A situation in which there may be tension within the band because of that? That is equally a risk.

These contracts often also include record company commitments about promoting said albums, meaning there is a cost for the company to accept a project and close out the deal. A simple cost-benefit analysis might tell the record company it is not worth enforcing the obligation. Instead, the company could (and I would bet likely) offer to Geddy and/or Alex the ability to meet the obligation to meet the Rush requirement with a solo project of some sort.

All that said.... the band just came off a tour and has not been in the studio for a couple of years. Let's give it some time and see where Neil is in a couple of years (I know, I know.... patience). He could very well be interested in recording at some point (there are a lot of studios near Neil's home, after all).

And John Rutsey is dead.

...or is he??? The next album could be called *Jurassic John Rutsey, we have the technology.

Well we'll know something's up when Geddy whips out the can of Barbasol on stage.

• Like 1

I hope no to both.

As I said in my original post, I wouldn't really want it either... BUT I think it would be more likely than 2122 or a lyrical bridge from 2112 to Cygnus. Can't imagine either of those two happening whatsoever.

I know it's not likely, I'm just wishing.

Those usually aren't iron clad. Some have out together greatest hits with one new song and managed to meet the requirements as well.

Is the record company going to get is "bang for the buck" with an album in which Peart may be "mailing it in" in regard to the contract?

I don't think it's in Neil's DNA to mail anything in.

• Like 1

Is the record company going to get is "bang for the buck" with an album in which Peart may be "mailing it in" in regard to the contract?

....including his retirement plans. ;)

The work ethic and professionalism that guided them through these last four decades will remain to the end I think.

They'll put out a fantastic new album---like CA---or nothing at all.

What about Feedback?

The critical difference is where they were then and where they are now. Hard for me to imagine that they'd that the go out like that.

I hope no to both.

Yeah. And?

Sorry but no I did not imply it was a new thing. I didn't imply that it wasn't relevant in the 70s either. What I DID do is outright say that it's a more probable theme than the other two ideas (2122 and lyrics about a connected storyline from 2112to Cygnus). AND I said racism is relevant now.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg293/goose_trf/RushCover_zpseo7xlhaz.jpg

leaked

• Like 1

....including his retirement plans. ;)

Touche!

I hope no to both.

I am lost.

sorry, it was almost 3am