How did you feel when you found out about Neil?

DadRockGirl

More like last verse of Anthem, especially third to last line.

Nothing wrong with quitting a band at 62. In this case, its been abrupt, manipulative, secretive, bizarre, and ignoring a loyal and patient fan base.

Would have been nice for him to wish Al n Geddy well in their future music endeavors. Would have been nice for him being up front with his supporters in 2013, or R40, instead of having his five year old daughter running around telling everyone her daddy is retired.

Happy for him. To have the means to live comfortably while being a full-time father and husband is a tremendously rare thing. He'd be foolish to pass it up. Good for you, Neil!

^ This.

I agree. But, with the school age of his daughter, and his wife's career, he will probably get a lot of "alone time". That can get old quick.

His switching from BMW's to Harley Davidson is devastating.

And I don't even own a bike

I found out about Neil the same time I found out about Geddy and Alex. What a sweet day that was.. ! ;)
  • Like 1

Maybe he'll join TRF now that he's retired

That'd really mess with his mind. He'd see two lines before him: those that want to praise him and those that want to flay him.

• Like 1

Of course Neil deserves retirement at 62, but the way the band has been ended by one person, so far...

Sorry Neil supporters, but something as great as Rush deserves an end better than this bizarre, abrupt, secret society announcement (Jack Black on Aug 1, this bizarre interview) and the bizarre behaviour of the last couple of years, such as not being candid that he is planning on CA being his last studio album. And tour.

Not did he only catch fans by surprise in the spring, when "most likely the last tour of this magnitude" really meant Neil has been eyeing CA as his last album and tour, and had to be talked into R40 by Geddy and Al,that he is in fact done, effective abruptly in 35 tour dates.

Is it bizarre he would say nothing during CA? That he is contemplating being a retired drummer as early as 2013?

Is it bizarre he would not address this honestly during R40?

Is it bizarre he took Geddy, Alex and the entire Rush organization by surprise that he was not winding down, as the band had been doing since 2013, but he is absolutely done, no second leg as has been their norm for a long time, possibly no studio album commitment as promised to the folks that handed over $25 million for their publishing

Rush fans deserved better.

Geddy and Al deserved better.

His family deserved better.

..a second leg of 18 or so dates next year would not have been that detrimental, and could have given the fans and band a proper sendoff.

He hasn't said that the band is over.

I found out about Neil the same time I found out about Geddy and Alex. What a sweet day that was.. ! ;)

The Santa hat looks lovely on your avatar! :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Why thank you! It was my first gift of the season :P

• Like 1

Of course Neil deserves retirement at 62, but the way the band has been ended by one person, so far...

Sorry Neil supporters, but something as great as Rush deserves an end better than this bizarre, abrupt, secret society announcement (Jack Black on Aug 1, this bizarre interview) and the bizarre behaviour of the last couple of years, such as not being candid that he is planning on CA being his last studio album. And tour.

Not did he only catch fans by surprise in the spring, when "most likely the last tour of this magnitude" really meant Neil has been eyeing CA as his last album and tour, and had to be talked into R40 by Geddy and Al,that he is in fact done, effective abruptly in 35 tour dates.

Is it bizarre he would say nothing during CA? That he is contemplating being a retired drummer as early as 2013?

Is it bizarre he took Geddy, Alex and the entire Rush organization by surprise that he was not winding down, as the band had been doing since 2013, but he is absolutely done, no second leg as has been their norm for a long time, possibly no studio album commitment as promised to the folks that handed over $25 million for their publishing

..a second leg of 18 or so dates next year would not have been that detrimental, and could have given the fans and band a proper sendoff.

Technically true, but his retirement comments to a journalist and daughter are concerning, as was the refusal to do a short second leg of R40.

Technically true, but his retirement comments to a journalist and daughter are concerning, as was the refusal to do a short second leg of R40.

He's wanted to quit touring for a long time. It's no big surprise like people are making it out to be.

• Like 1

He's wanted to quit touring for a long time. It's no big surprise like people are making it out to be.

Most dream of quitting their jobs and minimizing responsibilities as soon as possible. Of course Neil has the right to do that.

It's the manner in which this has been done. To cut short the R40 tour, no second leg, no international dates. Very possibly not fulfilling studio commitments to the folks that paid your band $25 million. Not speaking candidly with your loyal fans about wanting CA to be the last tour or the bizarre way this tour was handled. Having important band news about its lack of future leaked to the press. Bizarre and unfair way to treat a passionate and loyal fan base.

• Like 1

I'm about to go out on a limb and say that this is the first actual rift in Rush's history. One guy wants to retire, one guy doesn't, and the other doesn't care either way.

We don't know everything. But I believe there was a major rift in the mid 80's.... close to a breakup about the time of PoW. DIdn't hear about that till the early 2000's.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

I'm very thankful I took my 16 year old daughter to see the show. She was born in the wrong decade; loves Rush, The Beatles, Zeppelin, and countless other 'classic' rock bands. She was blown away by the music, the precision, the spectacle, the light show... all of it. There were many times during the show I looked to my right and watched her watch, not knowing for sure but being pretty certain this would be it. My last, and her one and only. It meant a lot to me that she got to experience it.

Still don't know what Neil is or is not going to do, and how many times that decision may change. Can't worry about it, really. Nothing goes on forever, and this band has given me so much over the years. My perspective will change from wondering what's coming next to just appreciating all the great things that are already there.

• Like 5

I donno about you guys, but to me, I've been "bracing myself" for Rush retiring since about the Time Machine Tour, at the very least. I made sure to see rush multiple times each tour since they reunited in 2002, because its just one of those things where you gotta see them while they're around, and they wont be around forever. And hearing Ray Danniels say "its somewhere between possibly and probably" that it would be Rush's last tour, pretty much sealed the deal for me.

its not news to us that Neil just doesn't like the grind of touring. So hearing him develop chronic pain issues from all the years of playing, and generally he's in a good place in his life where he wants to enjoy family more, its not entirely out of the question, and he deserves it , epecailly after what he experienced already once in his life in '97-98 that nobody would wish on their worst enemy, and especially after giving us so much joy.

We got what was, in my humble opinion, their best tour, they went through it with minor hiccups but proved on many a night that they still had it, and are going out on a high note.

My biggest thing i can relate this all to , personally, is Lemmy from Motorhead. God bless him, I love him to bits, and I've been a fan for a long time, but it absolutely DESTROYS me, seeing him struggle up there on stage 50% of the time. I would die on the inside, seeing Geddy, Alex or Neil bow down to the struggles of old age. They've been DEFYING their age for years. Its inspiring to see them kick so much ass well into their 60's. I'm completely at peace with them choosing to bow out right at around their age, because usually once your north of your 60's, especially if you're a heavily touring drummer or vocalist, it gets alot harder on them, and it shows.

They can do whatever they want. The boys did good. Its been a wonderful half-decade or so to be a Rush fan. We dutifully listened and celebrated Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels, they recieved their dues by getting their own documentary, countless endorsement and praises from many respected musicians and talent worldwide, FINALLY got into the hall of fame, and in the end , thanked and rewarded us by indulging our insatiable appetite for the back catalogue this past year. Well done. If this is the end, they couldn't close it off any better.

Edited by maxdistortion
  • Like 1

Most dream of quitting their jobs and minimizing responsibilities as soon as possible. Of course Neil has the right to do that.

It's the manner in which this has been done. To cut short the R40 tour, no second leg, no international dates. Very possibly not fulfilling studio commitments to the folks that paid your band $25 million. Not speaking candidly with your loyal fans about wanting CA to be the last tour or the bizarre way this tour was handled. Having important band news about its lack of future leaked to the press. Bizarre and unfair way to treat a passionate and loyal fan base.

Ungrateful. Man you guys are demanding, petty little fans. You don't know how good you've had it. Virtually any other band hasn't come close to Rush's level of prolific offerings to their fanbase. But you guys just want more. Explain this, explain that. Do this, do that. Don't do this, don't do that.

LOL. It seriously makes you guys look really bad. If you guys get this upset over an offhand comment from the retired drummer for an interview...what do you do in real life when something of true impact occurs?

It's only a rock band, kids. 40 years is much much longer than most.

BE GRATEFUL. Stop bitching about shit you have no right to bitch about.

• Like 1

Not 100% sure what's happening but I think it's time. This is what I posted on Facebook:

Some of my Rush pals are contemplating the End of Rush. I think it might indeed be Game Over, though I'm not sure. When I think of my relationship with Rush it's the first few years I think of. Discovering All The World's A Stage one evening in January or February 1977 at a friend's house .. making a tape copy and nearly wearing it out, immersing myself in that concert hall in Toronto time and time again. Seeing them for the first time a few months later four weeks before my 17th birthday - that was absolutely jaw-dropping.

Two consecutive nights spent in a literally freezing cold Newcastle Central Station following gigs on the A Farewell To Kings tour. Taking the first train to Newcastle one morning in 1979, then queuing up around the City Hall to get tickets from the box office for the Hemispheres tour in the snow - some of my fellow Rush fans amused themselves by assaulting passing cars with snowballs. One driver took great exception to this and got out of his car to confront his attacker. He was hit by about a dozen snowballs aimed at him from every section of the queue before he'd got six feet from his car and had to beat a hasty retreat back into it.

The two stellar shows at Stafford Bingley Hall in September 1979. The second of these was the night before I moved into my halls of residence to start a degree, away from home for the first time and I've always thought of it as an odd sort of closing ceremony for my life's first chapter.

Listening to the Moving Pictures album for the first time, scrutinising every detail of the cover, being really quite surprised by the elegance and polish of the production and the songwriting, and amazed by the off-the-wall adventurous sophistication of the instrumental track YYZ, very different from anything they'd recorded before yet apparently effortless.

There are more of these memories of course from the '80s, the '90s and later but they are fewer as time passes and much less an important part of who and what I am than those I have recounted already. If it's the end now I really don't mind at all. I'm not sure it is but it would be good to have a sense of closure, like having reached the end of a good book that you can put away with a sense of satisfaction. They won't tour the UK again either way. Most of the records, and they are relatively few, of the last twenty-five years or so are frankly poor, but the last one was actually pretty good.

Let's quietly close the back cover and put it away.

An elegant post Slim. My biggest passion for them was certainly 1982-1993. I was a teen age then struggling young musician chasing my rock and roll dream during those years and Rush's influence was undeniable.

I will respectfully disagree about the last 25 years. Too many great songs were written over the course of Presto-Clockwork Angels. It is a different side of Rush and then they came full circle with CA. No question it was not stronger than the Mercury years. Those were magical and mystical moments for the band. No question.

Clockwork Angels however is getting better and better with each passing year. An incredible accomplishment for a band just on the dawn of hitting their 60's in age. I actually want that to be the last album as a life long fan. I really don't think it get's better than that for them at this stage. But if they release another one in the not too distant future I know it will be of quality.

But a really great post Slim.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

Ungrateful. Man you guys are demanding, petty little fans. You don't know how good you've had it. Virtually any other band hasn't come close to Rush's level of prolific offerings to their fanbase. But you guys just want more. Explain this, explain that. Do this, do that. Don't do this, don't do that.

LOL. It seriously makes you guys look really bad. If you guys get this upset over an offhand comment from the retired drummer for an interview...what do you do in real life when something of true impact occurs?

It's only a rock band, kids. 40 years is much much longer than most.

BE GRATEFUL. Stop bitching about shit you have no right to bitch about.

I would hope by the use of "you guys" and quoting my comments as well you aren't aiming that at me. I'm completely supportive of whatever Neil wants to do with his life from now on. If he wants to retire, then good for him. He's given us some great music for the majority of his life, and in my case mine as well. I am thrilled to have gotten so much for so long.

Pags, I see you are in the swing of the festive season too! The hat is just the right dash of color needed on your avatar! :)

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Look at all the talk about this

I cannot recall a time in the band's history when so much attention has been focused on them

Some guys take guns into airports to get into the news ... some get together with models or a current actress ...

Some create the cloud of mystery in regards to their retirement

It seems that being around Gene Simmons back in the day did, in fact, rub off on them

• Like 1

Whatever Neil decides to do, I will always cherish the albums that he made at the peak of his powers in the 70s: Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. All classics.
  • Like 1