How did you feel when you found out about Neil?

DadRockGirl

Most of us knew this was coming for a while. So, when I read what Neil said, I was just happy to have some kind of confirmation from him that he was done. When all the final tour talk began all I wanted was for someone, whether it was in the band or their management to say "that's it". I got that now and i'm fine with it.

I'm one of those people who just takes things as they come and doesn't get too bent out of shape about situations like this that I have no control over. Rush has been my favorite band for over 20 years, i've seen them 12 times including twice on R40. One of those shows being the second night in Toronto. I'm good with them not touring anymore, Neil has earned his retirement and has every right to do so. I couldn't be happier with all the great music they've given me, the times i've got to see them live and the huge impact that have made on my life.

The band may be done but the music isn't and that will stay with us for many years to come.

• Like 2

I was happy for him for living a dream and going out on his own terms. The sad thing is so many pathetic turds won't let him.

Those turds are having zero effect on Neil Peart and his life. The only people they're hurting are themselves.....in the form of self-embarrassment.

well said

Well it IS the end of the world for some people..... :facepalm: :o :| :blink:

I was happy for him for living a dream and going out on his own terms. The sad thing is so many pathetic turds won't let him.

Those turds are having zero effect on Neil Peart and his life. The only people they're hurting are themselves.....in the form of self-embarrassment.

well said

Well it IS the end of the world for some people..... :facepalm: :o :| :blink:

...and I feel fine... ;)

• Like 2

I just hope he gets the itch to write and record. I don't need another tour.

Doesn't seem likely unfortunately, it looks like he doesn't even want to play drums anymore.

Doesn't seem likely unfortunately, it looks like he doesn't even want to play drums anymore.

Why should he?

He has pain and age and rewards of a family.

You are very selfish minded.

I would rather he enjoy life in his terms than yours.

I taught English to a small group of Japanese office workers this evening. For the last few months they've been practicing English for social situations. Tonight's theme was entertainment...specifically movies & music. In that 90 minute class I made it a point to let them listen to a very small sample of different musical genres. I chose music that I didn't think they've heard BUT might sound familiar to them. I was right. I chose Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, a local band that plays traditional Irish music, and Rush. I played one minute from one track from each artist. For Rush I chose YYZ not because I think it's their best song (or even their best instrumental) but because I thought it'd generate opinions. I chose well.

This was my reaction to the news.

How can you only play one minute of YYZ?

• Like 2

I taught English to a small group of Japanese office workers this evening. For the last few months they've been practicing English for social situations. Tonight's theme was entertainment...specifically movies & music. In that 90 minute class I made it a point to let them listen to a very small sample of different musical genres. I chose music that I didn't think they've heard BUT might sound familiar to them. I was right. I chose Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, a local band that plays traditional Irish music, and Rush. I played one minute from one track from each artist. For Rush I chose YYZ not because I think it's their best song (or even their best instrumental) but because I thought it'd generate opinions. I chose well.

This was my reaction to the news.

How can you only play one minute of YYZ?

It's business. Wasn't going to use 15-20 minutes of a 90 minute lesson playing those songs.

Not a bad job filling in for Rutsey the past 41 years. Hopefully they can still record and perhaps a mini-tour a few years down the road and if not, they went out on a high note. Edited by Ninja15

Why should he?

Because creativity isn't a switch you can just turn off. Especially doing it as long as he has and how committed he has been to his craft.

• Like 1

I am mostly sad that my son (who will be 5 in February) will never get to see Rush live. And he's definitely becoming a fan (with a little bit of encouragement of course).

Hopefully Lee/Lifeson will continue to write music and tour, in whatever form they choose.

I am mostly sad that my son (who will be 5 in February) will never get to see Rush live. And he's definitely becoming a fan (with a little bit of encouragement of course).

Hopefully Lee/Lifeson will continue to write music and tour, in whatever form they choose.

HOW DARE YOU SHOW DISSAPOINTMENT YOU SELFISH PERSON.

Edited by fraroc

Selfishly, I was a little bummed that he threw that out there, but knew it was over before the tour even started. For him, it's great because he can now go and enjoy his family and other interests without having "the guys at work" calling about another tour.

Why should he?

Neil has actually said he wouldn't be against writing again, he said the future is still unclear. He's always hated touring but Geddy & Alex both have said he enjoys going to the studio.

• Like 2

Why should he?

Because creativity isn't a switch you can just turn off. Especially doing it as long as he has and how committed he has been to his craft.

it arguing with that.

But if he has reached a point where he can and will turn that switch off, good for him for lasting so long, and ending on a mega popular album!

• Like 1

Why should he?

Neil has actually said he wouldn't be against writing again, he said the future is still unclear. He's always hated touring but Geddy & Alex both have said he enjoys going to the studio.

I hope for another album!

• Like 1

not feelin great about it and still holding out for a change of mind and another studio album but, if thats really it, The Garden was the perfect track to go out on. simply perfect.

Happy for him. To have the means to live comfortably while being a full-time father and husband is a tremendously rare thing. He'd be foolish to pass it up. Good for you, Neil!
  • Like 5