How did you feel when you found out about Neil?

DadRockGirl

I just want to share my reaction when I saw that Neil had announced his retirement. Not sure when everyone else found out but I only found out today. Obviously it was expected but...

I woke up, got my phone and opened Facebook and the first thing I saw was "Neil Peart announces his retirement" now, before I even finished reading this, I genuinely thought it was going to say he'd died or something so I absolutely shat myself and my heart dropped. Then I realised what it actually said and I just burst out crying for about 5 minutes.

Obviously this seems like an overreaction but I was still half asleep and I'm an emotional person okay.

Please share your reactions and make me feel really daft! :)

Edited by DadRockGirl

I am shocked but not surprised.

What a great ride. It's been probably around thirty five years since I first heard Rush. I've enjoyed every moment and will cherish seeing the last tour with by two boys. Neil can now spend more time with his family and have some of those moments as well.

• Like 1

I say bless him for bowing out and taking advantage of all the time he wants now, to be with his family.

When it really starts to sink in that there will be no more Rush music, I'll feel a bit of a sense of loss. That hasn't hit me yet.

I feel a whole lot of gratitude for their whole body of work...and all the times they came round to see us.

• Like 1

I taught English to a small group of Japanese office workers this evening. For the last few months they've been practicing English for social situations. Tonight's theme was entertainment...specifically movies & music. In that 90 minute class I made it a point to let them listen to a very small sample of different musical genres. I chose music that I didn't think they've heard BUT might sound familiar to them. I was right. I chose Billie Holiday, Jimi Hendrix, a local band that plays traditional Irish music, and Rush. I played one minute from one track from each artist. For Rush I chose YYZ not because I think it's their best song (or even their best instrumental) but because I thought it'd generate opinions. I chose well.

This was my reaction to the news.

I thought he was 63, was dedicated to what he did for over 40 years, helped churn out some of the best stuff the genre of progressive rock, or just rock in general for that matter has to offer, and he more than earned his retirement. Am I sad to see Rush end? Of course, but they can't go on forever, and they've all earned a rest to be sure. Edited by AnEggplant

Folks... I did make a post about a week ago... No one really said anything then ...? Weird... So I was shocked other than by the fact it took a week to go viral.

My reaction when I first found out? A bit sad.. Kind of in a "well you knew this was coming now here it is" way though... The tributes by other well known drummers were worth reading...

After the Tampa R40 show this year I KNEW that would be the very last time I would see this band live. I could tell by how they seem to throw every single thing I've seen them do in lighting, staging everything etc. THE ONLY RUSH concert of 50 that brought me to tears and every time I think of that last show brings me to tears.

So hearing Neil is done touring is nothing knew or surprising I'm happy for him and I'm damn lucky I was able to see them that many times since GUP. I kinda wish though I was able to see them since the 2112 album but one can't be greedy.

Edited by g under p

Thankful, for the music, and the friends I've made.

It's been a great ride.

This, but minus the friends part. I am a little bummed I will never see them perform again, but at least I was able to see them do that. Plus, they owe me nothing so I'm good.

Unsurprised.

Right now, I'm just waiting for Ged and Al's comments.

I am also curious about this. I wonder if a solo album from Geddy will happen sooner rather than later. I suspect the other 2 knew this before Neil said anything in the article.

I'm about to go out on a limb and say that this is the first actual rift in Rush's history. One guy wants to retire, one guy doesn't, and the other doesn't care either way. Edited by fraroc

I was fully expecting it. I knew it after I saw them on my first show for the R40 tour in Tampa. It was a glorious show that I shared with my son. It will be one of my fondest concert memories ever.

I went to see them again in Vegas with my band brothers and it sealed my thoughts that this was probably it for touring. But I did figure another studio project. Now I don't even think that will ever happen.

Neil is retired. Rush is no more.

I told my son (almost 11 years old, an aspiring drummer and Neil Peart fan) and he almost cried. He hung his head down in sadness. I saw this and right away told him how fortunate he was to be able to say he saw Rush 4 times!!! And met Geddy and Alex!!! Don't be sad. Be happy you were that lucky.

I told him "buddy he is almost 64/65 years old and has been playing 50 plus years. You know how tired you are after playing for a few hours and your 10! He understood. I told him Rush's music will live on forever. You can play their music too when you get your own band together, but more importantly you have your whole life ahead of you to create your own sound and style much like Neil did. He smiled and said yeah that is exactly what I want to do. I told him Neil lit that fire for you much like Alex did for me. You have nothing to be sad about.....your just getting started. Wish him well and move on with your life buddy.

All Rush fans need to do the same. Revel in the memories, seek new inspiration and we can keep their music alive through future generations.

In the end.....they are a band. And all bands come to an end. I think we got about as good an ending as we could have hoped for. At least I think so for me personally.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 5

I was fully expecting it. I knew it after I saw them on my first show for the R40 tour in Tampa. It was a glorious show that I shared with my son. It will be one of my fondest concert memories ever.

I went to see them again in Vegas with my band brothers and it sealed my thoughts that this was probably it for touring. But I did figure another studio project. Now I don't even think that will ever happen.

Neil is retired. Rush is no more.

I told my son (almost 11 years old, an aspiring drummer and Neil Peart fan) and he almost cried. He hung his head down in sadness. I saw this and right away told him how fortunate he was to be able to say he saw Rush 4 times!!! And met Geddy and Alex!!! Don't be sad. Be happy you were that lucky.

I told him "buddy he is almost 64/65 years old and has been playing 50 plus years. You know how tired you are after playing for a few hours and your 10! He understood. I told him Rush's music will live on forever. You can play their music too when you get your own band together, but more importantly you have your whole life ahead of you to create your own sound and style much like Neil did. He smiled and said yeah that is exactly what I want to do. I told him Neil lit that fire for you much like Alex did for me. You have nothing to be sad about.....your just getting started. Wish him well and move on with your life buddy.

All Rush fans need to do the same. Revel in the memories, seek new inspiration and we can keep their music alive through future generations.

In the end.....they are a band. And all bands come to an end. I think we got about as good an ending as we could have hoped for. At least I think so for me personally.

Bravo, well done and the most appropriate things you told your son. I was also lucky to take my daughter to the VT, S&A, TM CA tours she was sick for the R40 show. I wish your son well he appears to have a great understanding as to why some great things must come to an end. Outstanding.

Thankful, for the music, and the friends I've made.

It's been a great ride.

This, but minus the friends part. I am a little bummed I will never see them perform again, but at least I was able to see them do that. Plus, they owe me nothing so I'm good.

Unsurprised.

Right now, I'm just waiting for Ged and Al's comments.

I am also curious about this. I wonder if a solo album from Geddy will happen sooner rather than later. I suspect the other 2 knew this before Neil said anything in the article.

Of course they knew, they just couldn't say anything official until till let it be known. I'm glad as hell he got to join the band way back when.

I was happy for him for living a dream and going out on his own terms. The sad thing is so many pathetic turds won't let him.

Those turds are having zero effect on Neil Peart and his life. The only people they're hurting are themselves.....in the form of self-embarrassment.

• Like 1

I just hope he gets the itch to write and record. I don't need another tour.

That's all we can hope for at this point....I just can be so thankful for all the years they came to town over the years or I went chasing them. Fifty shows is enough for me I'm retired as well but it would be exciting to open up a new cd album in three years.

• Like 1

The writing was already on the wall. I knew from past interviews that he was getting tired of the touring, and that he wasn't thrilled about the past few tours. You have to admit that he isn't playing pedestrian beats, and a 2-3 hour show is a grueling feat for the entire band, not just him. (although his is probably a bigger work out)

I was holding out for a second leg in the spring, but had a pretty good feeling that this was it.

Not surprised...although I am a bit disappointed, and wish I DID hit at least one more show on this tour.

• Like 2