Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

Rush might finally have a little drama after all these years.......haha

The drama has been there basically since Neil came back from his "hiatus". But being the consummate professionals that they are, it was all kept behind the scenes.

So you think for the most part they won't even be on talking terms from here on out? I know, i know why should we care but I think the reason fans find this stuff fascinating is because Rush always seemed to be one of the few bands out there that was drama-less. I guess I should have always read into the fact that they rarely do interviews with neil its always separate. But just found it surprising that all this stuff was going on behind the scenes.

I do find it hard to believe that something in the next decade or so won't at least bring him out of retirement for at least a one-off gig. But from the sounds of it they are event on talking terms and it might stay like that permanently?

I think a lot has been going on behind the scenes since the eighties. Didn't Neil want to call it quits back then after HYF or Presto?

Let's not forget...Neil has consistently referred to Geddy and Alex as the "guys from work" in his books. He came into the band as the third wheel, the new guy. Perhaps he has always felt that way. If so, Geddy and Alex hold some responsibility in continuing to make him feel as such, thus, it's not so hard for him to walk away. I see a distance between the two life-long friends, and the third man.

Perhaps Neil has tried and tried to become more than just a business partner with Geddy and Alex, and somehow not connected to them in a way that is soul satisfying, or deeper than just band-mates.

This thing is more complex than we can imagine. Really, I see two people competing for the attention of Alex. Just look at the dinner lodge video. Geddy really doesn't listen to Neil, or appreciate his humor.

Yeah, that green bananas joke really falls flat :LOL:

The drama has been there basically since Neil came back from his "hiatus". But being the consummate professionals that they are, it was all kept behind the scenes.

So you think for the most part they won't even be on talking terms from here on out? I know, i know why should we care but I think the reason fans find this stuff fascinating is because Rush always seemed to be one of the few bands out there that was drama-less. I guess I should have always read into the fact that they rarely do interviews with neil its always separate. But just found it surprising that all this stuff was going on behind the scenes.

I do find it hard to believe that something in the next decade or so won't at least bring him out of retirement for at least a one-off gig. But from the sounds of it they are event on talking terms and it might stay like that permanently?

I think a lot has been going on behind the scenes since the eighties. Didn't Neil want to call it quits back then after HYF or Presto?

Let's not forget...Neil has consistently referred to Geddy and Alex as the "guys from work" in his books. He came into the band as the third wheel, the new guy. Perhaps he has always felt that way. If so, Geddy and Alex hold some responsibility in continuing to make him feel as such, thus, it's not so hard for him to walk away. I see a distance between the two life-long friends, and the third man.

Perhaps Neil has tried and tried to become more than just a business partner with Geddy and Alex, and somehow not connected to them in a way that is soul satisfying, or deeper than just band-mates.

This thing is more complex than we can imagine. Really, I see two people competing for the attention of Alex. Just look at the dinner lodge video. Geddy really doesn't listen to Neil, or appreciate his humor.

Or notice how he corrects Neil's train of thought when drummer boy says "making an album is the thing to do".

Neil spoke of "rivalries" within the band...there it is.

C,mon TM, they were all hammered on Ged,s wine.

Or notice how he corrects Neil's train of thought when drummer boy says "making an album is the thing to do".

Straw man? I dont believe you actually buy what ur selling here.

• Like 1

Straw man? I dont believe you actually buy what ur selling here.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Neil is done touring. No doubt about it. Reading between the lines, I don't think Neil has officially told Geddy or Alex. As someone else mentioned, I think there might be a disconnect between Neil and the guys and it might be deeper than we know. Neil is a somewhat socially awkward guy and perhaps there is a 2+1 going on in the band.

When Neil did his farewell wave to the crowd in LA, I thought it was a little awkward because Geddy and Alex had no idea it was coming or what it meant. That was clear. And it's also kind of telling. It says something about the communication between Neil and the other two?

Maybe Neil just doesn't communicate with the guys like most people would expect. or perhaps he knows Ged and Alex still are up for remaining an active band and just doesn't have the heart to officially tell them. I would think Neil would consider Alex and Geddy two of his dearest friends, but it seems Neil has his own group and doesn't really see or talk to the guys when Rush isn't active. Neil is in LA and Ged and Alex are the best of friends in Toronto.

All this along with FOH Lights's comments are beginning to create a picture in my mind that there is a different dynamic in the band than we know. There is so much behind the scenes stuff we don't see. Perhaps there's a resentment from Neil towards the other two for pressuring him to keep touring and he feels obligated to do it. And that has created separation in the friendship? All speculation of course...but interesting to see this play out the way it has.

• Like 3

Neil has always kind insinuated that he doesn't talk to Geddy and Alex that much unless they have a project going. I remember when asked about Neil's tragedy that they said they did what they could but he didn't really want to communicate much. I think Neil is very much a loner and only really feels comfortable around a small group of people. He's always been a bit more separated from the other two and even more so it seems since he's moved to LA.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the R40 tour a lot, obviously the setlist was fantastic but I also took another look at the SnA live DVD and realized that there is a such a difference in Geds vocals performance between then and now. Even if everyone wanted to continue with the band I really don't know what else they could do without having the product suffer. I really just feel like Geds vocals are really starting to go out, no complaint of course its amazing everything he's given for all the tours. Yes would have been great if Neil could have completed 20 more shows, but I really don't know how great future tours would have been for this band.

Neil has always kind insinuated that he doesn't talk to Geddy and Alex that much unless they have a project going. I remember when asked about Neil's tragedy that they said they did what they could but he didn't really want to communicate much. I think Neil is very much a loner and only really feels comfortable around a small group of people. He's always been a bit more separated from the other two and even more so it seems since he's moved to LA.

BOOM!

• Like 1

I enjoyed the R40 tour a lot, obviously the setlist was fantastic but I also took another look at the SnA live DVD and realized that there is a such a difference in Geds vocals performance between then and now. Even if everyone wanted to continue with the band I really don't know what else they could do without having the product suffer. I really just feel like Geds vocals are really starting to go out, no complaint of course its amazing everything he's given for all the tours. Yes would have been great if Neil could have completed 20 more shows, but I really don't know how great future tours would have been for this band.

Lord knows they get criticized enough around here already.

Exactly! Sure it would be awesome to have more tours and hear deep cuts we never heard before but once you hear it you know people are going to be complaining about something. They even said they tried to work together arrangements for fly by night and farewell to kings but ged said he couldn't do the vocals justice enough to play it live. I think he sang a lot better this tour than people expected he would but clearly there has been a change over the last couple tours. And again its amazing all the effort he puts in for these 3 hour shows but there is no way he can sustain the vocal ability he had even in his late 40s compared to what would be mid 60s if they were to do another tour in the future. Its good they went out on top. Edited by mrfriendly

Neil is done touring. No doubt about it. Reading between the lines, I don't think Neil has officially told Geddy or Alex. As someone else mentioned, I think there might be a disconnect between Neil and the guys and it might be deeper than we know. Neil is a somewhat socially awkward guy and perhaps there is a 2+1 going on in the band.

When Neil did his farewell wave to the crowd in LA, I thought it was a little awkward because Geddy and Alex had no idea it was coming or what it meant. That was clear. And it's also kind of telling. It says something about the communication between Neil and the other two?

Maybe Neil just doesn't communicate with the guys like most people would expect. or perhaps he knows Ged and Alex still are up for remaining an active band and just doesn't have the heart to officially tell them. I would think Neil would consider Alex and Geddy two of his dearest friends, but it seems Neil has his own group and doesn't really see or talk to the guys when Rush isn't active. Neil is in LA and Ged and Alex are the best of friends in Toronto.

All this along with FOH Lights's comments are beginning to create a picture in my mind that there is a different dynamic in the band than we know. There is so much behind the scenes stuff we don't see. Perhaps there's a resentment from Neil towards the other two for pressuring him to keep touring and he feels obligated to do it. And that has created separation in the friendship? All speculation of course...but interesting to see this play out the way it has.

Neil is extremely different to Ged and Al personality wise but I've never anticipated an major ill-will between them.

However, that initial article did make me a little angry and surprised because those words that were being said "Neil Peart Retires From Muisc" pretty much told me that not only does he want to stop touring, he wants to stop making music altogether which meant no chance of any new Rush material, which Ged and Al both went on the record and said they'd like to do.

Edited by fraroc

Waaah! Neil didn't give us notice exactly when he'd retire from touring or when his aches and pain we're going to bother him too much to play Rush songs for 9-12 hours per week for months at a time! Waaah! Neil didn't announce in between each song exactly how many more songs he could play live before his elbow and shoulder would give out on him starting in 1974, so I could prepare myself ahead of time! Waaaah! Neil couldn't suck it up after his daughter and wife both died within 6 months in 1997 and be happy he was on tour for much of his first marriage instead of having some degree of resentment! Waaah! Neil stuck to his guns when they tried to squeeze extra tour dates out of him! Waaaah! Neil's not immune to the effects of aging on the human musculoskeletal system! Waaaah! Neil's not allowed to be with his family, because he has to play more for MEEEEEE! Waaaah! Neil's passive aggressive! Waaaah! Neil's shy and introverted! Waaaah! Neil bought a new car! Waaaaah! There was drama behind the scenes, and they never told MEEEEEE about it! Waaaaah! Neil's the only one who wants to quit now, who cares if he's the only one doing the equivalent of the stairmaster every single moment of every single show! Waaaah!

I can keep going. I realize it's only a few people really who aren't accepting this gracefully, but this is how they are coming off to the rest of us.

Waaah! Neil didn't give us notice exactly when he'd retire from touring or when his aches and pain we're going to bother him too much to play Rush songs for 9-12 hours per week for months at a time! Waaah! Neil didn't announce in between each song exactly how many more songs he could play live before his elbow and shoulder would give out on him starting in 1974, so I could prepare myself ahead of time! Waaaah! Neil couldn't suck it up after his daughter and wife both died within 6 months in 1997 and be happy he was on tour for much of his first marriage instead of having some degree of resentment! Waaah! Neil stuck to his guns when they tried to squeeze extra tour dates out of him! Waaaah! Neil's not immune to the effects of aging on the human musculoskeletal system! Waaaah! Neil's not allowed to be with his family, because he has to play more for MEEEEEE! Waaaah! Neil's passive aggressive! Waaaah! Neil's shy and introverted! Waaaah! Neil bought a new car! Waaaaah! There was drama behind the scenes, and they never told MEEEEEE about it! Waaaaah! Neil's the only one who wants to quit now, who cares if he's the only one doing the equivalent of the stairmaster every single moment of every single show! Waaaah!

I can keep going. I realize it's only a few people really who aren't accepting this gracefully, but this is how they are coming off to the rest of us.

What about Geddy and Alex? Who wanted, and still want, to keep this band going in some form or another? Are they wrong to think that way?

And no, I'm not putting words in their mouths.

Lee said the last show of the tour - at The Forum in Los Angeles in August - had been "emotional".

"I hope it's not our last one but - if it is - we sure went out with a bang."

Edited by fraroc

fraroc, it is very clear, based on the way Geddy & Alex are talking in interviews, FOH Lights' statements about how everything went down, etc., that there is some tension between Neil & the other 2. You're right, there is nothing wrong with Geddy & Alex wanting the band to continue. They have all said all along that "there will not be a bad guy" when somebody decides to call it quits, but that doesn't mean they can't be disappointed, upset, or hurt when it actually happens. They may even be, like FOH Lights said, more upset about how Neil did this than anything else, and again, there is nothing wrong with that.

The thing is, it actually effects their lives. It has no effect on you, and they are being a whole lot more mature about it than you are! They're almost behaving like... adults. Crazy, huh?

• Like 1

Shut up you tart!

Alex went above and beyond the call of duty when Neil lost his daughter and wife. I will see if I can find the interview where he tells what he did.

It was Geddy who said they didn't communicate much and that Neil would send post cards to him every once in a while.

Alex went above and beyond the call of duty when Neil lost his daughter and wife. I will see if I can find the interview where he tells what he did.

It was Geddy who said they didn't communicate much and that Neil would send post cards to him every once in a while.

Here:

On August 10, 1997, tragedy struck the band. Selena, Neil Peart's 19-year-old daughter, was killed in a car accident while driving to Toronto from Quebec. Ten months later, after being diagnosed with cancer, his wife Jackie died.

Geddy Lee: I was up at the cottage and I got the call from Ray. It was just horrible news. Basically, the clock stopped.

Alex Lifeson: It was just absolutely devastating.

Geddy Lee: I remember calling Al and saying, 'What do we do? I don't know what to do.' And he said, 'I don't either. But I'm going over there.' And I said, 'OK, I'm coming back from the cottage. I'll meet you over there.'

Alex Lifeson: We basically moved in with Neil and Jackie to look after them. They couldn't do anything. They were grieving separately. It was such a sad, sad place to be. I would be there first thing in the morning and I'd leave around 11:30 at night.

Geddy Lee: Our whole group, Ray and all our management people, would do the same thing. You just go there and hope they feel your support.

Alex Lifeson: Neil and Jackie decided to go to London. They wanted to get far away from the scene of the accident and all the reminders they had in the house.

Geddy Lee: It was too difficult for them to be in Toronto. So they left town. They just wanted to grieve privately.

Alex Lifeson: Well, they arrived in London on a Saturday morning and that weekend Princess Diana was killed in a car accident. But they felt comfortable with it there. They had lost their princess and now Britain had lost its princess. That's the way they sort of viewed it. The country was in mourning, as they were. It seemed kind of appropriate to them. There was a sadness everywhere. They were not there to get happy. They were there to get through their sadness.

Geddy Lee: It was a really strange, difficult time.

Alex Lifeson: We all spent time with them in London. We all took trips over there to give them a boost for a week here, a week there. We sent encouraging faxes. We tried to be as positive as we could. The band shut down completely. We didn't even think about the band, in fact.

Geddy Lee: Al and I just agreed not to talk about it. We agreed not to talk about the band because it didn't make any sense to. I could not see carrying on without Neil and neither could Alex. There was just no way. What was the point of talking about it? It seemed so trivial compared to what was going on. We were just worried about him. He was in a very bad state.

Alex Lifeson: Then Jackie became ill. They had discovered cancer in her lungs and it had metastasized and moved through her body. They only gave her a number of months.

Pegi Cecconi: His wife died of a broken heart. You can call it cancer, you can call it whatever you want. I remember her saying to me, 'They're hiding pills from me. I don't need pills to kill myself.' I'm a parent. I can't imagine losing a child.

Alex Lifeson: For her, it was very, very difficult to have lost her daughter. They were so, so, so close. When she learned that she was terminal and was going to die, wow, she was somehow relieved. She literally cleaned the house. For the first time, she went into Selena's room and organized everything. She packed for Neil the things that she wanted him to have. Then she waited for her death.

Pegi Cecconi: She couldn't live without her daughter. I will always remember the day of the funeral. Geddy was just sick with grief. And Alex did not play for two years. He did not pick up a guitar.

Alex Lifeson: Neil didn't know what to do. So he decided to hit the road and try to erase his demons.

Peart got on his BMW motorcycle and spent the next 14 months in constant motion, covering more than 88,000 miles, from Quebec to Alaska, down coastal highways to Mexico and Belize. He wrote about this odyssey of reflection and unimaginable pain in Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road.

Neil Peart: People would stay stupid things to me at the time: 'Well, at least you still have your music.' No, I don't want to have my music. I have nothing. It was so presumptuous of people to say things like that.

Geddy Lee: He ran for those years, which he has documented himself, so well and so eloquently. I would get these fantastic postcards from him around his travels. So I felt as close to him as we'd ever been. We were just not playing in the band. I was just happy we were still friends.

Ray Danniels: Without going too far into it, Neil lost everything. It was his only child and it was his wife who had been his high school sweetheart.

Alex Lifeson: I met him in Santa Fe on his travels. We spent five days there before he needed to move on. Liam Birt, our road manager who's been with us forever, had been on tour with Van Halen in Japan. On his way back, he flew into Santa Fe and spent time with us. We didn't do anything. We had a fire going the whole time. We read. We laughed. I cooked like crazy. I wanted to comfort Neil and feed him well.

Geddy Lee: We were always there for him. We were always thinking about him.

Alex Lifeson: At the end of the five days, Neil had it in his mind that it was time for him to go. It was the spring and we had had beautiful weather. But on the day we were all going home, we woke up in the morning and it had snowed like crazy. It was overcast and cold and the wind was blowing. He just looked so downtrodden. And I said, 'Do you want to stay longer?' But he said, 'No, I have to go.' He got on his bike and rode into the snow.

Pegi Cecconi: There's a line in Neil's book where he's sitting somewhere and he sees a little blade of grass coming up after a horrible winter. And he remembers thinking, 'That's good.' That's when he realized he was going to survive this. He finally saw some good. It was just a blade of grass after winter.

Alex Lifeson: This period carried on for about three years. The longer it went on, the more distant it seemed that we would ever get back together.

Howard Ungerleider: To be honest, I thought we'd be lucky if we ever went back out again.

Alex Lifeson: But in his travels, Neil met Carrie, his new wife. She gave him hope and love, the things he needed.

• Like 3

I hope that Neil had the decency to tell Alex and Geddy that he was going to "spill the beans" to an outside source so that they are prepared for the media onslaught. Those two are the ones who'll have to answer all the questions.

Congratulations to Neil, I hope he gets a gold watch with an emblazoned star man logo.

• Like 3