Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

I don't think this should be a surprise to anyone. Even before Clockwork Angels was finished Neil talked like he intended it to be his masterpiece swan song. It surprises me that they even got two tours out of him after that. Perfect time for all of them to bail out honestly. All of them have had their playing skills diminish just a tad. Geddy more so on the vocal side, not so much playing wise.

I'm super upset because now I'll never get to see them live :( but hopefully one day I'll become a really famous singer and get to meet Geddy coz that's the dream really.
  • Like 2

I'm super upset because now I'll never get to see them live :( but hopefully one day I'll become a really famous singer and get to meet Geddy coz that's the dream really.

I feel sad I will never see them.

Thank goodness for other bands!

• Like 1

If he really has no regrets about killing Rush, then whatever. He can go live his life and never pick up another set of drumsticks ever again for the rest of his life for all I give a f**k. He better NOT bitch if Geddy and Alex disapprove, because any frustrations that those two might have with Neil are 100% justified.

This is the kind of crap I cannot understand ... Look I've been a fan of NP since 1980... I was already playing drums for awhile by then and for the next few years he was a big influence...Glad I saw them every tour from 1982 on ...some more than once...but...I also respect the guy enough to realize it's his call to retire... And people slamming him I gotta believe are only thinking of themselves...don't understand being a working touring musician and don't appreciate the fact that it's entirely his call ...Just as it would be if he said a month later he wants to record again...

Another thing...after what he went through in 97... & BTW we have no idea if he held regrets for being away from his first family while building the success of Rush all those years ago when they ran ridiculous schedules?....someone would have to be a real asshole to judge him...

No no, you got it wrong. fraroc is actually a standup comedian. Good show.

Yep. Can't take this guy seriously.

• Like 1

If he really has no regrets about killing Rush, then whatever. He can go live his life and never pick up another set of drumsticks ever again for the rest of his life for all I give a f**k. He better NOT bitch if Geddy and Alex disapprove, because any frustrations that those two might have with Neil are 100% justified.

This is the kind of crap I cannot understand ... Look I've been a fan of NP since 1980... I was already playing drums for awhile by then and for the next few years he was a big influence...Glad I saw them every tour from 1982 on ...some more than once...but...I also respect the guy enough to realize it's his call to retire... And people slamming him I gotta believe are only thinking of themselves...don't understand being a working touring musician and don't appreciate the fact that it's entirely his call ...Just as it would be if he said a month later he wants to record again...

Another thing...after what he went through in 97... & BTW we have no idea if he held regrets for being away from his first family while building the success of Rush all those years ago when they ran ridiculous schedules?....someone would have to be a real asshole to judge him...

When does the funny start?

• Like 1

When does the funny start?

"Start"? It never ended!

• Like 2

My exact thought was "I'm glad I found Toto when I did". I had a dream that Joseph Williams came to my house party last night, that was a beautiful dream :heart:

• Like 1

A lot of rock stars have families and they've managed to have it both ways so that they can still perform their craft and be a part of their family. It almost seems as if Neil just flat-out refuses to understand that...This guy wants to live not only a Rush free rest of his life, but he also seems like he wants to live a drum-free rest of his life.

A lot of rock stars have families and they've managed to have it both ways so that they can still perform their craft and be a part of their family. It almost seems as if Neil just flat-out refuses to understand that...This guy wants to live not only a Rush free rest of his life, but he also seems like he wants to live a drum-free rest of his life.

Oh you must shut up whining Fray Fray. Seriously, it is one man's decision and it is really pathetic how you seem to think he has no right to control his own path.

He is of age to retire, he has the right to retire. If he went about it the wrong way, I am sure you can move on and shut up.

Seriously Fraroc, get a grip on reality! You have the intelligence to be really insightful and fun around here!

Lighten up buddy!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My exact thought was "I'm glad I found Toto when I did". I had a dream that Joseph Williams came to my house party last night, that was a beautiful dream :heart:

Toto are just... :heart: :heart:

:heart:

• Like 1

Rush might finally have a little drama after all these years.......haha

The drama has been there basically since Neil came back from his "hiatus". But being the consummate professionals that they are, it was all kept behind the scenes.

You're feeding fraroc's obsessions and feelings of betrayal and entitlement.

Have mercy.

Lie if you must.

For RUSH fans, December 7th, 2015...a date that will live in infamy.

While it seemed pretty clear there would be no more concerts, I always hoped they'd still create new music -- as long as Neil had assurances that there'd be no subsequent tour, and maybe that the recordings, at least his parts, could take place in L.A. -- but barring a change of heart, not looking too good. Easy for me to sit here and assume Neil would be up for a few hours a day at a recording studio, a few weeks out of a given year.

The way it's coming out is a bit odd, in a magazine article, when I would have thought a message on his website, or some kind of more official announcement would have been the way to go. I'll be curious to hear the reaction from Geddy and Alex, and to see what they do next. Hopefully they will continue in some form.

As for Neil, in addition to the desire to be home more often, and to get away from the physical strain of playing RUSH music, it's also hard to deny the timing was right to go out on top. R40 tour was a huge success, and the way it was put together, going backwards thru 40 years, you couldn't plan a farewell setlist much better. They played their last show in L.A. at a venue they have loved for years. And, creatively, Clockwork Angels is a great album to end with. And, c'mon, "The Garden" is the last song. It might not be everyone's favorite in the RUSH canon, but looking at it now, knowing it's (most likely) their last recorded song...not a bad way to walk off to the sunset.

Kind of how I felt after Phil Collins officially left Genesis. "Fading Lights" from their last album took on a whole new, and stronger significance knowing that it was their last recorded song together.

40 years, 20 albums (counting Feedback) and a farewell wave from the front of the stage. Thanks for everything, Neil. Been a fan since the late 80's, and have loved every minute of it.

• Like 1

The way it's coming out is a bit odd, in a magazine article, when I would have thought a message on his website, or some kind of more official announcement would have been the way to go. I'll be curious to hear the reaction from Geddy and Alex, and to see what they do next. Hopefully they will continue in some form.

And despite the weird way the public aspect of this is playing out (I still assume they've talked about this a lot behind the scenes -- at the Sirius/XM town hall, Geddy said they're in daily contact), I still think Neil will ultimately be drawn out by the other two. Just give it some time.

Once Neil ran up to the front of the stage I knew he was done.

That certainly seemed like a definitive statement to me when I saw it - it looked like an official "goodbye".

• Like 2

This isn't the end of the world, and if Rush and their retirement is the most catastrophic thing that has happened in your life, count your blessings.

Actually...if this is one of lifes catastrophes in anybody's life...that kinda blows

This isn't the end of the world, and if Rush and their retirement is the most catastrophic thing that has ever happened in your life, count your blessings.

Why post a comment like this? It's obviously not a catastrophe for anyone.

This is a discussion forum, and we are discussing a topic of interest. Especially since statements have been made in the music press that tend to contradict one another. Perfect fodder for -- wait for it -- discussion.

This isn't the end of the world, and if Rush and their retirement is the most catastrophic thing that has ever happened in your life, count your blessings.

This is a discussion forum, and we are discussing a topic of interest. Especially since statements have been made in the music press that tend to contradict one another. Perfect fodder for -- wait for it -- discussion.

It sounds to me like it is a catastrophe for some here.

And, you are right - it is a discussion forum. Hence, my post.

Perfect fodder.

• Like 1

i only saw Rush twice and i'm beyond good.

Mick

I've only seen Rush twice in the last 21 years.

Me too.

Saw them several times prior to that, with a long dry spell in between...but I'm just grateful for all that I have gotten to enjoy...and will continue to.

• Like 1

So sorry to see I missed out on a fair bit of fraroc craziness last night!

Total borefest.

We needed you.

It sounds to me like it is a catastrophe for some here.

And, you are right - it is a discussion forum. Hence, my post.

Perfect fodder.

Hold on...this...is...a...discussion forum?!?

I THOUGHT THIS WAS FRAROC'S SUBCONSCIOUS!

• Like 1