Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

you people

Always a winning way to address fellow Rush fans.

Ok I'll change it to 'you dumbasses'

I expected as much.

And I'm not one of those arguing for Neil to keep drumming, and keep pleasing us all by enabling Rush to tour until they all keel over, onstage...not at all. It's not about that. I just thought your choice of address was a bit testy. It seems there are more important things in the world to get upset about, that's all.

Oh dear I'm being reprimanded by the "Nice" Police.

Suck my butt!

Careful dear, you'll be next.
  • Like 1

Well, this is going to be a difficult time for them! Forty years is a long time, and a quitting member is going to hurt somewhat, but sooner or later Rush will end for good, and Neil wants to quit now, so they are all facing reality in their own way.

Give them time to comprehend the changes (if they do feel hurt that is) and it will all make sense.

Right.....and there are plenty of cases of artists "retiring" only to decide that retirement sucks.

But the abruptness of this seems weird. I mean, Neil HAS been signaling that he's hated touring for the last 30 years, so that isn't new. And from reading "Ghost Rider", one could easily surmise that absent liquidating all their equipment, publishing, etc, Rush wasn't quite in a financial position to retire for the rest of their lives (or at least they weren't 15 years ago). So either obligation or money has driven Neil on for these last couple decades.

But if the reports are true, Rush had 7 more U.S shows, 10 Europe shows, and 3 South American shows ready to green-light, and Neil put the kibosh on it. Why now -- after all this time of apparently sucking it up -- does he put his foot down to just 20 more shows or less than 2 more months on the road? That kind of abruptness seems to suggest some kind of external pressure -- problems at home? Health problems?

It just really appears from these interviews that Ged and Neil are nowhere near on the same page. To the point where it doesn't even look like they've been talking to each other.

Ffffuuukkk...they had South American dates on the table????? It would have been my last chance of seeing them.

you people

I expected as much.

And I'm not one of those arguing for Neil to keep drumming, and keep pleasing us all by enabling Rush to tour until they all keel over, onstage...not at all. It's not about that. I just thought your choice of address was a bit testy. It seems there are more important things in the world to get upset about, that's all.

Suck my butt!

I do hope so!

• Like 1

you people

I expected as much.

I'm sure you'll live.

I'm just one of those people who favours thinking (and maybe thinking again, and again) before I speak.

Holy moley...I should just quit all of the internets!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

In reality I was expecting R40 to be their last tour, but in my own selfish mind I was hoping for just one more in the future maybe (and then another, and another...). Each member has earned the right to say I am going to retire and call it quits. I have been going to their concerts since 1978 and thought they may be still playing after I was 6 feet in the ground (LOL). God bless them and may they enjoy the rest of their lives with their family. They definitely own their own little piece of the music industry forever.

you people

I expected as much.

I'm sure you'll live.

I'm just one of those people who favours thinking (and maybe thinking again, and again) before I speak.

Holy moley...I should just quit all of the internets!

Eat my poo!

Jk jk

Stay true man! Woohoo!

• Like 1

Just think how excited we'll all be for the R50 Reunion Tour!

But really, I think it's fine if they stop touring at this point, they've earned that. But I would hope the door isn't closed to something like a single show here or there once in a while, or another album.

Also, this is being reported as Neil's definitive statement, but I have a feeling it's being taken a little out of context. We may soon hear from the band that the whole operation isn't over, like this makes it sound. Last we heard from Geddy and Alex, it was all still "we don't know." If Neil had decided this for sure I would think they would put out a joint announcement.

Well I've been cslled cynical before but this announcement is just step one of baiting the fans for the next disc.

Everyone reserves the right to un-retire.

Right now retired means leave me the fukk alone for a few years...

......and despite all that's going on with all the interviews lately, I do think this is probably the closest scenario to the truth.

• Like 1

Does the reason really matter? He doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play.

Boo hoo hoo I only got to see Rush 5 times in the last 10 years. Boo hoo hoo Peart didn't give me 3 years quitting notice in writing and provide a two hour interview covering the impending retirement. Boo hoo hoo if he doesn't tour why can't he just do a residency in my hometown that corresponds to my vacation time and at an affordable ticket price. Boo hoo hoo...

OK....so let's not talk at all about a relevant topic such as "why our favorite band is breaking up." Back to "favorite Rush song" polls for everyone.

Didn't say that. In that post I was talking about the crying. Few posts at that point were actually talking about WHY.

There is a difference between confirming your retirement and saying goodbye with one finger in the air.

You're not a stupid person but your interpretation of things ACTUALLY said and done can be especially stupid sometimes.

My dad retired at the exact same age as Peart. He didn't wave any middle fingers at anyone. He only said, "Ohhh, finally it's over. Now I can enjoy myself." And he's been enjoying himself these last 14 years. It's the happiest I've seen my dad. I sincerely hope Neil can be that happy too.

He's old. He's tired. He's satisfied with ending on his terms. He wants to be with his family. What don't you get?

All of the pro Neil posts here are true, he has earned retirement, he is at the right age for it. Had he said something before CA to hint he is thinking retirement, give fans a tiny hint, could have been appropriate. Important careers typically warrant that. Instead, he was expecting to retire right after CA and do nothing to celebrate their 40th anniversary,nor make any mention he was retiring after CA. He had to be talked into R40. It's all bizarre.

Going out on a short tour when historically Rush has always played at least two legs, and insisting on no international shows is a very abrupt and terse end to an awesome career, for a fan base that has been patient and loyal for many years and continued to support the band after its long hiatus. Loyalty like that doesn't grow on trees.

you people

I expected as much.

Suck my butt!

I do hope so!

I want,

Those scarfs!! :madra: :D

• Like 1

Hello! Yes, haven't been around in a while. But Facebook decided to put at the top of my news "NEIL PEART SAYS HE'S RETIRED" and knew I had to come here to see the reaction. I expected a bit more chaos.

Chaos? Why, the man retired to spend more time with family, why people can.t get that through their thick heads, is beyond me. Enjoy the rest of your life Neil.
  • Like 1

you people

I expected as much.

Suck my butt!

I do hope so!

I want,

Those scarfs!! :madra: :D

Sure! I don't mind starting a new collection!

• Like 1

Well, this is going to be a difficult time for them! Forty years is a long time, and a quitting member is going to hurt somewhat, but sooner or later Rush will end for good, and Neil wants to quit now, so they are all facing reality in their own way.

Give them time to comprehend the changes (if they do feel hurt that is) and it will all make sense.

Right.....and there are plenty of cases of artists "retiring" only to decide that retirement sucks.

But the abruptness of this seems weird. I mean, Neil HAS been signaling that he's hated touring for the last 30 years, so that isn't new. And from reading "Ghost Rider", one could easily surmise that absent liquidating all their equipment, publishing, etc, Rush wasn't quite in a financial position to retire for the rest of their lives (or at least they weren't 15 years ago). So either obligation or money has driven Neil on for these last couple decades.

But if the reports are true, Rush had 7 more U.S shows, 10 Europe shows, and 3 South American shows ready to green-light, and Neil put the kibosh on it. Why now -- after all this time of apparently sucking it up -- does he put his foot down to just 20 more shows or less than 2 more months on the road? That kind of abruptness seems to suggest some kind of external pressure -- problems at home? Health problems?

It just really appears from these interviews that Ged and Neil are nowhere near on the same page. To the point where it doesn't even look like they've been talking to each other.

This is very true. That second leg would have been the right way to say thank you and goodbye. Once they both voiced their disagreeing views, what else is there for them to say? It would have been appropriate for Neil to say he is OK with Ged n Al going on without him as the last tour of this or any magnitude was obviously a personal decision by one awesome musician, but in no way a band decision.

I can't find the posting, but everyone told me I was full of sh-t when I said this might happen. I am glad (not for the newer, younger fans who wanted to continue to see them) - go out on top, go out with integrity and having always given 110%. I said after R40 that I hope, in a way, they never played again, to not go to where they didn't play at their standards.

Bravo Neil.

• Like 3

I can't find the posting, but everyone told me I was full of sh-t when I said this might happen. I am glad (not for the newer, younger fans who wanted to continue to see them) - go out on top, go out with integrity and having always given 110%. I said after R40 that I hope, in a way, they never played again, to not go to where they didn't play at their standards.

Bravo Neil.

Of course until he gets back in the studio to record some songs with Rush... lol

• Like 1