Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

I know I can't force Neil to play more if he honestly doesn't want to, I'm just unhappy with how everything is going down right now. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Geddy and Alex want to keep the door open and it does upset me that Neil doesn't even tell Geddy, Alex and the Rush fans "I'm sorry, but I'm done. I can't do it anymore"

It's more like. "You want more Rush shows? Yeah well kiss my ass, I'm retired now."

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Congratulations Neil, you just pissed away the best thing you've ever had.

It just proves blood is indeed thicker than water.

Your post just proves you don't know what "pissed away" means. Here's an example that might help:

You pissed away some decent, innocent words in the construction of that post.

• Like 3

I know I can't force Neil to play more if he honestly doesn't want to, I'm just unhappy with how everything is going down right now. I've said this before and I'll say it again, Geddy and Alex want to keep the door open and it does upset me that Neil doesn't even tell Geddy, Alex and the Rush fans "I'm sorry, but I'm done. I can't do it anymore"

It's more like. "You want more Rush shows? Yeah well kiss my ass, I'm retired now."

How is he saying "kiss my ass?" We don't know what's going on between Neil and the other two. We can only guess from the tiny bit they've said in a couple of interviews. It really does no good to just dramatize events we really know nothing about.

• Like 2

You don't know what he's told geddy and Alex. From everything I've read and heard in interviews they've clearly stated they are good to go but Neil doesn't want to. How is that not clear? He came out from behind his kit at their last show and did a bow. He hasn't done anything like it in years. I'm pretty sure that's his way of saying good bye. Time to let it go.

• Like 3

Neil won't see your post but I can say that last sentence for him if you like. I'd just sub "my" with "his" and "I'm" with "He's".

• Like 1

Your post just proves you don't know what "pissed away" means. Here's an example that might help:

Fraroc must not have much family. How is drumming in a band possibly the best thing anyone has ever had? Silly and immature statement especially in light of the real loss Neil has endured.

• Like 2

You don't know what he's told geddy and Alex. From everything I've read and heard in interviews they've clearly stated they are good to go but Neil doesn't want to. How is that not clear? He came out from behind his kit at their last show and did a bow. He hasn't done anything like it in years. I'm pretty sure that's his way of saying good bye. Time to let it go.

At any rate, one doesn't really need to make any grand public gestures any more. You just need to tell one interviewer and, in the space it takes to post something to the Web, everyone will know.

• Like 2

I'm sure we're all disappointed that Neil doesn't want to deal with the rigors of touring anymore. I can't say I blame him. From what they've said, it's a lot of work just to get ready to tour, let alone once they're out on the road. He's given us a lot of years of his life, we should just be happy that we got what we got. It was certainly a lot more than 99.9% of bands out there will give you. It's unbelievable to me that we've had them around this long. We've been VERY fortunate.
  • Like 6

I'm sure we're all disappointed that Neil doesn't want to deal with the rigors of touring anymore. I can't say I blame him. From what they've said, it's a lot of work just to get ready to tour, let alone once they're out on the road. He's given us a lot of years of his life, we should just be happy that we got what we got. It was certainly a lot more than 99.9% of bands out there will give you. It's unbelievable to me that we've had them around this long. We've been VERY fortunate.

The way I see it, anything they've done this millennium is just bonus. They could have stopped after Vapor Trails even, we've gotten more than we ever expected

• Like 5

Good for him! I saw them in Boston this past June and they (including Peart) were flawless. He's going out on top - magnificent career!

He has absolutely nothing to regret. I have plenty of Rush music and memories to keep me happy.

Thank you, Neil

• Like 5

I'd like to tell Peart, "You just pissed away the last 41 years of your career. And for what?! To raise your very young daughter?! Besides, your body can't be hurting that bad!"

I spit in his general direction!

You know, Sean Connery retired a few years ago when he was 82. I'd like to tell him he pissed away his career too!!!! He had ONLY been working about sixty years! Lazy f**k.

Self-centered entertainers they are!

• Like 6

The way I see it, anything they've done this millennium is just bonus. They could have stopped after Vapor Trails even, we've gotten more than we ever expected

Exactly. I was really surprised when they came back after that. I'm thrilled to have gotten the tours and albums, regardless.

• Like 1

We all knew he was done with touring but it's still good to have him confirm it that way everyone can move on and not hold out hope that he will tour again.

He's earned his retirement and has nothing left to do or prove to anyone no matter what immature, selfish, asshole fans like fraroc think.

Thank you Neil Peart for all the great music and lyrics that have touched me and so many other fans so deeply over the years. His work will live on for a long time to come and that's the most important thing of all.

• Like 4

Oops, I just ruined my friend's day by showing him this, even though we both knew this was coming.

I personally think Neil should be able to retire when he wants, and, if that's now, he should be able to do it without people whining and calling him a selfish prick. Most people probably would've retired after their daughter and wife died, and Neil really shows us how he's passionate about the music and loves doing what he does (which also means performing for YOU). I only got to see Rush perform once in my life, and that's all I needed. Although I'm sure he really loved performing, he should be able to stop now if that's what he feels he really needs to do. Plus, he has a family and life outside Rush and entertaining us (who knew famous people had lives outside what they do to entertain us?). Who are we to tell him what life choices he should make? (and I'm sure we'd literally make him drum to death if we did).

• Like 5

Fraroc must not have much family. How is drumming in a band possibly the best thing anyone has ever had? Silly and immature statement especially in light of the real loss Neil has endured.

Agreed x1000

I never understood Fraroc's truly whiny opinion on Peart. Immature and hysterical to the Max!

I like Fraroc, I just really hate his constant idiocy related to Peart.

Man first, musician at the very most, second place.

• Like 3

There is a difference between confirming your retirement and saying goodbye with one finger in the air.

He didn't though. You are an absolute idiot sometimes lol!

• Like 1

There is a difference between confirming your retirement and saying goodbye with one finger in the air.

Just like there's a difference between knowing your ass from a hole in the ground.

He's not giving us the finger...he's telling us nicely he's done.

• Like 4

Pics or it didn't happen.

:LOL: Exactly!

• Like 1