Peart Talks Retirement in New Drumhead Magazine Interview

Jag2112

Pissed away? 40 years isn't exactly pissing away....

http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2012/4-25/1jNdP83LBy-4.png

http://i.imgur.com/0C3EL6h.gif

...Is absolutely fabulous, dahling.

They only had what 12 albums....multiple live CD/DVDS. touring each album.

Very very very rash decision Neil.

BAD BITTER DRUMMER.

lol

Mick

20 albums, including Feedback. 19 with Peart.

Pfft.

Not enough.

sheesh 20.......pish posh.

kids stuff.

some artists have fover 100

AWFUL Showing.

Mick

They only had what 12 albums....multiple live CD/DVDS. touring each album.

Very very very rash decision Neil.

BAD BITTER DRUMMER.

lol

Mick

20 albums, including Feedback. 19 with Peart.

Pfft.

Not enough.

sheesh 20.......pish posh.

kids stuff.

some artists have fover 100

AWFUL Showing.

Mick

You need an exorcism.

• Like 1

Peart will always be a drumming hero to me. There are relatively few drummers who can hold me transfixed throughout an entire song because of how interesting their drumming is - so that I might find myself wanting to listen to the song again so I can focus on the other parts of the song. I wish for him what I'd wish for anyone at that age - that he lives out the rest of his life without agonizing joint pain and illness, and proud of his legacy.
  • Like 3

Also, you never know. After a few years of driving Olivia to sleepovers and Build A Bear, Neil may be on the phone begging Geddy and Alex to do a few days artist in residence thing at MSG or Massey Hall !! :D :D
  • Like 2

Congratulations Neil, you just pissed away the best thing you've ever had.

It just proves blood is indeed thicker than water.

There are so many problems with this post, you're a friggin' lunatic
  • Like 2

There are so many problems with this post, you're a friggin' lunatic

He wants to see neil die at his kit. anything less then his life for Rush is a betrayal.

Yup.......makes sense.

Mick

• Like 4

I'm 25 years old. I've been drumming for years.

Some days, for me, a 25 year old male in his prime... drumming the stuff he plays really. f***ing. hurts.

His style is hard hitting. It's intense. It's fast. It's coordination. It requires agility to move around that massive kit. It is an entire workout.

If he's done doing it in his 60's, I totally understand. It's a painful style to play for a guy in his 20's, let alone 60's.

Plus mid 60's is retirement age anyway.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 3

I say good for Neil. He's going to know his body better than anyone else and if he feels it's time to quit, then he should. No shame in that. He gave us many years of himself and most of us wouldn't be fans of the band without him. I think he picked a perfect time to stop. Go out on a high note.
  • Like 9

The Lee, Lifeson and (Insert drummer who everyone will hate no matter what) Experience has began.

I say good for Neil. He's going to know his body better than anyone else and if he feels it's time to quit, then he should. No shame in that. He gave us many years of himself and most of us wouldn't be fans of the band without him. I think he picked a perfect time to stop. Go out on a high note.

He's not reading so no need to sound so pious.

Thank you Neil. It was a hell of a ride.

I am so happy my son was able to experience the greatness of Rush live. It's something I know he will never forget.

R40 could not have been a better way to call it a career. And I love the fact they did not announce it like a retirement party. They left a glimmer of hope open by saying it was "the last tour of this magnitude".

Now we know it was indeed.......the last tour.

And if he is indeed retired (which he states as fact) we also got the last Rush record in Clockwork Angels. And it was a heck of an album to call it a career for Rush.

I have nothing but thanks and gratitude for Neil.

I am sure Geddy will do solo material. And now I am certain he (Geddy) will tour in support of his solo material.

Alex wil play golf, smoke lot's of weed and eat a lot. I think he is done too unless Geddy drags him along for a solo tour. LOL.

Who knows.....maybe Geddy and Alex form a new band with a new name.

But Rush is over without Neil. They will not get a new drummer to play in the band known as Rush.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

The Lee, Lifeson and (Insert drummer who everyone will hate no matter what) Experience has began.

Maybe....but not in a band named Rush.

I'm just naturally that way.

• Like 2

I'm just naturally that way.

:clap:

• Like 1

Those of us who are sports fans get what Peart is saying. Brett Farve's last season with the Jets was sad to watch as it happened. So many of us NFL fans don't want to see Peyton Manning come back to play. Why??? We believe his body can't do it anymore, we don't want Brett Farve's last season.

So why won't many people cut Peart some slack? I'd argue most of those people are not drummers, that most of those people don't believe he can't physically do it at a high level. They believe he selfishly wants to sleep in and make PB&J sandwiches for his daughter instead of touring.

Why can't you people get it? Why can't I get it?

Favre ended his career with the Vikings two years later.

I misremembered but you get my point, Neil should shut the frack up and tour more.

This, exactly. Neil certainly earned it, but to do it in such an abrupt manner, without a second leg and a few European shows is just a brutal way to say goodbye to fans. Maybe he wants to start a new career as a manager with that other Canadian band, Finger Middle Eleven.

Let round 2 of auditions begin Ged!

Fav Ray was actually halfway decent in NY until he had injury and cheerleader issues. Didn't he also make the playoffs when he was with the Vikings after the Jets?

After fifty years, he more than deserves it!

Bravo Peart!

Fraroc and all the whingers can stuff it, I am pleased he finally made up his mind!

I think his mind was made up long ago...he just needed to spell it out for the fanboys who refused to see the handwriting on the wall.

• Like 4

I'm ok with Neil calling it a day. He's earned it. I'm just a little disappointed that he's chosen to not make any sort of formal goodbye announcement, personally thanking all the fans who allowed him to have a 40-year career. I know the whole band released a statement of thanks after R40, but that wasn't a retirement declaration (at least not an explicit one).
  • Like 1

This excellent, talented and incredible drummer gave us all his best in the music.

Neil needs his own time and space. Olivia needs her father to grow up. Carrie needs her husband.

I respect his choice to take care of himself, rest and stay with beloved ones.

As a fan, I wish him luck and great things from now on. :cheers:

• Like 4

After fifty years, he more than deserves it!

Bravo Peart!

Fraroc and all the whingers can stuff it, I am pleased he finally made up his mind!

I think his mind was made up long ago...he just needed to spell it out for the fanboys who refused to see the handwriting on the wall.

So true.

Fraroc really does make 0 sense. Neil deserves his peace now! Regardless of butthurt fans who missed seeing them on tour (I am one of them), they are still three individual men, and Neil at last has time for his new family!

Plus, his career ends on The Garden. Timely and eloquent!