R40: So Much Negativity

Mindcore

I think that Neil may have felt a sense of betrayal from Rush management (and possibly the other band members) when the R40 idea came up and he felt the pressure to tour again.

He KNEW it was coming - there was no betrayal. Granted, he heard about it in a round about way, but that doesn't excuse his dictating the number of shows and totally dissing the overseas fans in the process.

I'm still convinced that it's a good sign that nothing official has been announced about the future of the band other than "we'll see". I could see them all get the itch again for recording or touring some day barring any physical ailments.

Heheheh, so you're convinced of that, huh? Then please allow me to introduce you to the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and the Lock Ness Monster! :D

You do know that the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, The "Loch" Ness monster and Neil have never been seen at the same place at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

If he was officially finished...there would be no reason for Neil not to come out and say "Geddy and Alex can do what they want with my blessing, but I'm finished!!!". It's possible that he wanted to give some time to see how he feels and will make an announcement then, but the longer it goes, the better the vibes I get.

I think that Neil may have felt a sense of betrayal from Rush management (and possibly the other band members) when the R40 idea came up and he felt the pressure to tour again.

He KNEW it was coming - there was no betrayal. Granted, he heard about it in a round about way, but that doesn't excuse his dictating the number of shows and totally dissing the overseas fans in the process.

I'm still convinced that it's a good sign that nothing official has been announced about the future of the band other than "we'll see". I could see them all get the itch again for recording or touring some day barring any physical ailments.

Heheheh, so you're convinced of that, huh? Then please allow me to introduce you to the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and the Lock Ness Monster! :D

You do know that the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, The "Loch" Ness monster and Neil have never been seen at the same place at the same time. Coincidence? I think not.

If he was officially finished...there would be no reason for Neil not to come out and say "Geddy and Alex can do what they want with my blessing, but I'm finished!!!". It's possible that he wanted to give some time to see how he feels and will make an announcement then, but the longer it goes, the better the vibes I get.

either that or he just doesn't think he owes anyone any explanations.

that whole "my daughter says i'm retired" thing was passive-aggressiveness at its finest!

• Like 2

Well there was that and getting ditched by forum members at the pre-show meet up due to being high as gas.... But f**k em, I'm back. :D

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. You and your friends literally just sat in the car and didn't talk to anyone else.

When the Caravan took off for the show, we couldn't help it if you stayed behind and didn't follow us. We would have loved to have had you join the tailgate. Plus we had balloons as Signals for those joining us later.

• Like 1

I haven't been on here in ages but finally had some free time to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon perusing the Internet and return to this forum.

I can't believe the bashing that is going on about Geddy's vocals on the tour and (in particular) the DVD/Blu-ray. I thought people on here were fans. Obviously (I think) the ones that are complaining are too young to understand aging. Yes, I too have noticed that Geddy no longer has that range of his youth, but he still "sounds like" himself! Trust me, I've seen every tour since AFTK and even in the 80's I noticed differences in his range from the 70's songs that were still in rotation. Part of it was growing as a vocalist and the fact that he did start taking vocal lessons and instead of "screaming" parts he was actually singing them!

I was at the second Toronto show and Ben Mink and the band doing Losing It for the first time ever live was the pinnacle!

Why is nobody focusing on the extremely great musicianship of these 3 in their mid 60's and can pull off some of the most complex compositions that they admit were difficult when they first recorded them (Hemispheres)? They put musicians a third of their age to shame!!!!

I thought the people on this forum were true fans (and understanding human beings). I guess I was wrong. I wish I could do the things I could 30-40 years ago but I can't (and, for the older members, I'm sure you can't either). Why do you expect them to do the same? For you younger members, you'll understand when you get to my age (50).

Peace out. Rush is still the greatest Rock band in my opinion and I thank them for 40 wonderful years of music. They owe me (or anyone else) NOTHING!

Good point. People in hell want icewater, too. Would these negative types be happier if Rush stopped before R40? That's the $64,000 question. I didn't go, but wish I had. Looked like some pretty damn good shit for 60-something metal gods to me...

I haven't been on here in ages but finally had some free time to spend a lazy Saturday afternoon perusing the Internet and return to this forum.

I can't believe the bashing that is going on about Geddy's vocals on the tour and (in particular) the DVD/Blu-ray. I thought people on here were fans. Obviously (I think) the ones that are complaining are too young to understand aging. Yes, I too have noticed that Geddy no longer has that range of his youth, but he still "sounds like" himself! Trust me, I've seen every tour since AFTK and even in the 80's I noticed differences in his range from the 70's songs that were still in rotation. Part of it was growing as a vocalist and the fact that he did start taking vocal lessons and instead of "screaming" parts he was actually singing them!

I was at the second Toronto show and Ben Mink and the band doing Losing It for the first time ever live was the pinnacle!

Why is nobody focusing on the extremely great musicianship of these 3 in their mid 60's and can pull off some of the most complex compositions that they admit were difficult when they first recorded them (Hemispheres)? They put musicians a third of their age to shame!!!!

I thought the people on this forum were true fans (and understanding human beings). I guess I was wrong. I wish I could do the things I could 30-40 years ago but I can't (and, for the older members, I'm sure you can't either). Why do you expect them to do the same? For you younger members, you'll understand when you get to my age (50).

Peace out. Rush is still the greatest Rock band in my opinion and I thank them for 40 wonderful years of music. They owe me (or anyone else) NOTHING!

Good point. People in hell want icewater, too. Would these negative types be happier if Rush stopped before R40? That's the $64,000 question. I didn't go, but wish I had. Looked like some pretty damn good shit for 60-something metal gods to me...

Wow, so let me see if I have this right: It would be a better forum if everyone agreed with everyone else and there was never any criticism about anything? IDK Man, sounds kind of odd and boring to me. IMO, a diverse group of members is what makes a forum fun & interesting. Further, just because there is criticism, doesn't mean there isn't a true love and/or admiration for the band. Hell, I love my GF, but I don't always like her! :D

• Like 1

I laugh at the whole my daughter introduces me as a retired drummer What did he do at night whisper that phrase in her

ear all night while she slept

:LOL:

Gonna throw my two cents in here! Ready for the flame throwers too! :ranton: I think the enormous negativity stems from one thing: If the R40 tour was to be the F-I-N-A-L tour than bill it that way, not "last tour of this magnitude" crap! Sure the ticket prices would have gone to the moon, but at

least we would have known on the front end versus seeing Neil do a final bow in LA and saying "Bye Bye forever!" Are you kidding me?? No European leg

to least say thanks to those loyal fans?! Not everyone could afford to fly across the pond. Not fair at all! Not sure how Neil sleeps at night knowing he's pissed off his supposed best buds, Geddy and Alex, and many fans including me (and yes, I saw 7 shows this tour.)

Oh, and don't get me started about that he has a young one at home! I can only imagine his pain losing both first wife and daughter within a short time period. I do care what happened, but if he misses her so much, it's time to ditch the motorcycle traveling and stay at home with her!! :rage: Okay, :rantoff: !!!!

Yeah yeah, we've heard it all before. Grow up, will ya? ;)

I see I reeled in a flamethrower!! Good!! Hey Eagle, FYI...I'm plenty growed up!! It's a damn shame that our drummer doesn't share

this logic. Last time I checked you don't diss the establishment that feeds you!

• Like 1

I believe there's only one thing that would/will cause Neil to ever consider doing another Rush project. And that's if his wife were to divorce him and take him to the cleaners. Otherwise, forget it.

He's not gonna be one of those rock stars who comes back because he misses it. It's pretty obvious at this point that he was borderline miserable being in the band at the end and couldn't want to get out. His not making an official statement isn't because he's at all emotional about it and/or still considering options. It's the opposite. He's SO thrilled to be done and cares so little for being a part of Rush anymore that he doesn't even feel a need to say goodbye. And if he's happier now (and it sure sounds from the blog posts like he is), I say good for him.

He ran to the front at the Forum to give a final wave. He told everyone at the after party that he was done. And I 100% believe that he is. Not I'll-see-how-I-feel-in-12-months done. DONE done. Now it's just a question of what Ged and Al will do.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

HE WENT TO THE AFTER PARTY???

I don't think so.

Sure he did. There was a picture taken of him and Stu Copeland and two other drummers that someone posted on here. They said he was the first to leave. And early too.

Poor image quality but was from the after show party.

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Doane-Perry-Chad-Smith-Taylor-Hawkins-Neil-Peart-Stewart-Copeland-2015.jpg

• Like 1

I don't think so.

Sure he did. There was a picture taken of him and Stu Copeland and two other drummers that someone posted on here. They said he was the first to leave. And early too.

http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Doane-Perry-Chad-Smith-Taylor-Hawkins-Neil-Peart-Stewart-Copeland-2015.jpg

Well, three other drummers (plus Stu) :LOL: and I'm not even sure they are all drummers, I just thought I remembered someone saying that they were. :)

Edited by Lorraine

I don't think so.

Well, three other drummers (plus Stu) :LOL: and I'm not even sure they are all drummers, I just thought I remembered someone saying that they were. :)

Yes they are. Doane Perry, Chad Smith and Taylor Hawkins.

• Like 1

I don't think so.

Are we sure that is from the "after party"? I suppose it's possible that he left so early, that my people weren't even aware of his presence. I suppose...

I don't think so.

Are we sure that is from the "after party"? I suppose it's possible that he left so early, that my people weren't even aware of his presence. I suppose...

I wasn't there (still can't figure out why I wasn't invited but ...). I am only telling you what I read on here after the LA show.

• Like 1

I don't think so.

Yes it is. Your people. :LOL:

• Like 1

Eagle, do you remember where it was posted on here the details of the party in LA?

No not really unless it was in a periscope thread?

Eagle, do you remember where it was posted on here the details of the party in LA?

No not really unless it was in a periscope thread?

I tried doing a search. I thought it had its own thread but maybe not.

I'll go look at the LA thread.

The picture showed up on page 62 of the LA thread. A couple of people asked where it was taken, but no answers.

I know there has to be another thread here talking about the party - but where??? I distinctly remember someone mentioning the times they all left the party.

Thanks for finding that, Lorraine! Earl's description of the after party (including Neil) is a classic, as always!