R40: So Much Negativity

Mindcore

I think since their final tour ended the fan base is intwo different camps, both a bit angry. One, the fans that are unhappy at Neils solo abrupt decision to retire, and second, those that will be loyal to Neil no matter what, and bottle up their frustrations by not admitting they are not happy with the end. Sad that the once positive consensus during the tour and periscope parties has faded.

The people who hate Neil, and the ones who won't admit they hate Neil.

I have liked Neil's work for 37 years. Dont know him personally but like his work. Not thrilled with how he unilaterally called the last shot, with how some on their staff described him at the end, as "The Emperor."

• Like 1

I think since their final tour ended the fan base is intwo different camps, both a bit angry. One, the fans that are unhappy at Neils solo abrupt decision to retire, and second, those that will be loyal to Neil no matter what, and bottle up their frustrations by not admitting they are not happy with the end. Sad that the once positive consensus during the tour and periscope parties has faded.

I have liked Neil's work for 37 years. Dont know him personally but like his work. Not thrilled with how he unilaterally called the last shot, with how some on their staff described him at the end, as "The Emperor."

Thats what FOHlights calls him. his connection to the band or crew questionable at best.

Thats what FOHlights calls him. his connection to the band or crew questionable at best.

Didnt TRF members meet FOH during R40?

I believe FOH is actually a legit person. There was another person, Supersnake, or something on here who was actually brought to light to be a fraudulent person though. Maybe someone can help me with the name, it's been a while.

Maybe the crew wasn't told anything specifically, but I would think it would be hard to miss day in and day out knowing what we know

In addition to the context previously, I thought those periscope feeds were pretty informative.

But two years at this time, there wasn't going to be an R40 tour. I thought I'd seen my last Rush show in 2013.

One only has to take a look at my posting history and the timing of certain posts to understand that my connection is hardly questionable. While I never heard any of the crew (or Geddy & Alex) refer to him as the emperor, I coined that term myself after hearing how he dictated the final tour.

• Like 1

If he's legit then shame on him for being so nasty in his comments. Someone with any kind of connection to the band should know better.
  • Like 1

If he's legit then shame on him for being so nasty in his comments. Someone with any kind of connection to the band should know better.

Well, that's one opinion. But my comments reflect the views of many in the organization and they weren't afraid to say it. Right up until the last tour started, Geddy, Alex, and everyone else held out hope that Neil would change his mind once he got out on the road, and agree to extending the tour and including an overseas leg. Imagine their disappointment when Neil flat out said NO. Mind you, this was LONG before Neil told them that it would be his last tour - which didn't happen until AFTER the tour.

I'm not saying/disclosing anything that hasn't been said/disclosed already by those on the inside. These guys were hurt and tired of tiptoeing around the facts. Sorry if that bursts the little Rush bubble you felt safe in, but this was not a fairy tale ending, by any means.

Just so we're clear, the gripe was NOT about Neil retiring - he deserves that. It was simply about the selfish way he handled it.

• Like 3

Some of Rush's music is genius

Some is average

Some is a pile of shit.

That is all........

Heretic.

Blasphemy too. Lock him in SOCN for a week with no escape. That ought to teach him! :cool:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Well, that's one opinion. But my comments reflect the views of many in the organization and they weren't afraid to say it. Right up until the last tour started, Geddy, Alex, and everyone else held out hope that Neil would change his mind once he got out on the road, and agree to extending the tour and including an overseas leg. Imagine their disappointment when Neil flat out said NO. Mind you, this was LONG before Neil told them that it would be his last tour - which didn't happen until AFTER the tour.

I'm not saying/disclosing anything that hasn't been said/disclosed already by those on the inside. These guys were hurt and tired of tiptoeing around the facts. Sorry if that bursts the little Rush bubble you felt safe in, but this was not a fairy tale ending, by any means.

Just so we're clear, the gripe was NOT about Neil retiring - he deserves that. It was simply about the selfish way he handled it.

Still sounds cryptic from the fan`s side of things. So it seems Emperor Kneel stuck to his guns about not entertaining a lengthy tour....I understand that a lot of people rely on a paycheck from Rush, but based on the pre-tour chatter, a short one should have been expected. by all involved parties.

Edited by Planet X-1
  • Like 1

Still sounds cryptic from the fan`s side of things. So it seems Emperor Kneel stuck to his guns about not entertaining a lengthy tour....I understand that a lot of people rely on a paycheck from Rush, but based on the pre-tour chatter, a short one should have been expected. by all involved parties.

That's sort of correct. They had a pretty good idea that this was the last hurrah, but like I said, everything hinged on Neil. And rather than come right out and say it to their faces AND in a timely manner, he chose to avoid the inevitable uncomfortable conversation until it was all over. And even then, he never directly communicated with his G&A. IMO (and many others), the stand-up thing would have to have been to state his intentions of permanently retiring BEFORE the tour, or at least during it. Instead, everyone was left in somewhat of a limbo situation. I mean, be a man about it. "Affliction" or not, sit down with your band-mates face to face and just be honest. Yet, he couldn't/wouldn't even do that.

• Like 3

I have a question that just occurred to me.

Do you think Neil actually enjoyed being part of a band the last forty years or do you think he just did it because it enabled him to live well? It just seems to me that his heart was never in it. I could be wrong. It is just an impression that I have gotten.

Edited by Lorraine

That's sort of correct. They had a pretty good idea that this was the last hurrah, but like I said, everything hinged on Neil. And rather than come right out and say it to their faces AND in a timely manner, he chose to avoid the inevitable uncomfortable conversation until it was all over. And even then, he never directly communicated with his G&A. IMO (and many others), the stand-up thing would have to have been to state his intentions of permanently retiring BEFORE the tour, or at least during it. Instead, everyone was left in somewhat of a limbo situation. I mean, be a man about it. "Affliction" or not, sit down with your band-mates face to face and just be honest. Yet, he couldn't/wouldn't even do that.

Makes sense now....especially the puzzlement and frustration that was oozing from Geddy during the early post tour interviews.

Edited by Planet X-1

Do you think Neil actually enjoyed being part of a band the last forty years or do you think he just did it because it enabled him to live well? It just seems to me that his heart was never in it. I could be wrong. It is just an impression that I have gotten.

I'm not sure why he sticks/stuck with the band, but I just finished reading Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour by Motorcycle where he documents all his North American and European travels during the R30 tour in 2004. Lorraine, you are right, it seems like his heart was not in it even back then. It seemed to me that there could not be an unhappier person during that tour, mainly just because it is the way he is wired or something. According to him, he rarely plays well enough to meet his own self imposed high standards. Then, away from home, he is just a fussy guy. Things rarely go the way he wants them to- other drivers, food, other people, weather, etc. etc. etc. After reading the book, I was actually pretty surprised he kept touring for another 11 years.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

Maybe one day Neil will write a book called, "Leave me alone and quit trying to analyze me."
  • Like 3

More like 75 - 80%... But, then he could write a new book called, "Why did you all stop talking about me?"
  • Like 2

I'm not sure why he sticks/stuck with the band, but I just finished reading Roadshow: Landscape With Drums: A Concert Tour by Motorcycle where he documents all his North American and European travels during the R30 tour in 2004. Lorraine, you are right, it seems like his heart was not in it even back then. It seemed to me that there could not be an unhappier person during that tour, mainly just because it is the way he is wired or something. According to him, he rarely plays well enough to meet his own self imposed high standards. Then, away from home, he is just a fussy guy. Things rarely go the way he wants them to- other drivers, food, other people, weather, etc. etc. etc. After reading the book, I was actually pretty surprised he kept touring for another 11 years.

I recall he mentioned in Ghost Rider that he was burning thru alot of cash during that era, so seems he needed a bunch of tours to replenish the funds.

It seems his general dislike for public performance and interaction was enhanced by his personal tragedies. Unfortunate for G & A, the crew and loyal fans that he insisted retirement be so abrupt.

In perspective of his own experience, how his life changed so abruptly, its understandable.

If Neil is adamant that 2015 was the end, so be it, as much as I am not thrilled with the quick exit.

I only hope G and A continue to do what they love, write music and perform, no matter what they decide to call it.What originally drew me to Rush was the music, the drumming and early lyrics were a nice bonus.

• Like 2

Sorry but that's BS. Anyone that has read Neil's books knows how he has felt about touring for several decades. It's nothing new and in that sense it's been coming for a lot of years. He didn't even have to do the shows that he did for R40 but at least we got that. Shame on them for assuming when they just should have asked. Doesn't sound like their communication is very good.

• Like 1

I think you're really opening a can of worms with this question. In my opinion I think he really enjoyed it up until the tragedy with his wife and daughter. After that it seems like he lost a lot of his drive. Plus that's around the time we started hearing about the tendinitis.

I think you're really opening a can of worms with this question. In my opinion I think he really enjoyed it up until the tragedy with his wife and daughter. After that it seems like he lost a lot of his drive. Plus that's around the time we started hearing about the tendinitis.

Excellent points and good question. I think it goes back to early 80s personally. I think he wants to live well but also be under the radar. But it does seem like his only joy since Selena has been traveling on his own terms, not touring.

• Like 1

Excellent points and good question. I think it goes back to early 80s personally. I think he wants to live well but also be under the radar. But it does seem like his only joy since Selena has been traveling on his own terms, not touring.

I think Olivia and Carrie are a couple more joys of his. But we know through his writing that he really suffers on the anniversaries of Jackie and Selena's passing. I don't think you can ever get anywhere close to where you were after tragedies like that.

Like I said before, I have no issue with him retiring, he just could have handled it better for the folks that have been with the band for decades.

• Like 1

one of my least favorite things is the term "true fan" ... it mostly pops up in sports and music ... but I have also been accused of not being a true fan of certain breweries because I didn't like one of their beers .. so silly IMO Edited by Amps211
  • Like 1