R40 CD/DVD Packaging: Could the trays be any more awkward?

zappafrank

I think I've accepted the fact that since Different Stages came out I'd be putting any future Rush cds/dvds in sleeves. It's a pain in the arse as they get scattered all over the place.

the R40 blu ray box set, in the hardcover book, has the discs jammed pretty tightly into cardboard sleeves in the pages. No way I'm going to try to wrestle those in and out.

Had the 3cd/dvd for about a month and i am afraid to touch it.Don't know how long these press type trays are going to last or the fold out cover.At least the music inside is an improvement.

I finally purchased the R40 6 disc blu-ray set a few months back. Amazon had it on sale and I really wanted the R30 blu ray version with all the extra songs that they left off the DVD version so I grabbed it. Yes, sadly, the '97 Molson show doesn't have Animate, Resist or Natural Science as I understand only the Backstage Club and Best Buy version contained those songs and if you want those now in this day and age, you have to buy it on the secondary market for exorbitant prices if anyone is even selling it! Anyway...

The blu ray version is no longer packaged in the 52 pg. book! The book packaging has been replaced with the DVD packaging that everyone is describing here. The discs are stacked up on top of each other in plastic trays with push/release buttons that don't work very well and they threw in a flimsy little paper booklet with the Popoff essay and a few photos. Am I really missing anything without the book? Also, they have never officially released the full set of the Toronto Rocks show, have they? Anyone know the reason? I understand you can get the Toronto Rocks DVD and get Limelight and Paint It Black/The Spirit Of Radio on there and I guess the whole thing is on YouTube, but why no official release on a physical format?

I finally purchased the R40 6 disc blu-ray set a few months back. Amazon had it on sale and I really wanted the R30 blu ray version with all the extra songs that they left off the DVD version so I grabbed it. Yes, sadly, the '97 Molson show doesn't have Animate, Resist or Natural Science as I understand only the Backstage Club and Best Buy version contained those songs and if you want those now in this day and age, you have to buy it on the secondary market for exorbitant prices if anyone is even selling it! Anyway...

The blu ray version is no longer packaged in the 52 pg. book! The book packaging has been replaced with the DVD packaging that everyone is describing here. The discs are stacked up on top of each other in plastic trays with push/release buttons that don't work very well and they threw in a flimsy little paper booklet with the Popoff essay and a few photos. Am I really missing anything without the book? Also, they have never officially released the full set of the Toronto Rocks show, have they? Anyone know the reason? I understand you can get the Toronto Rocks DVD and get Limelight and Paint It Black/The Spirit Of Radio on there and I guess the whole thing is on YouTube, but why no official release on a physical format?

Good to know. I like the art and many of the pictures in that book. If you're not a fan of that stuff, you probably are OK without it.

As far as I know, bootlegs are the only complete set available for SarsStock.

• Like 1

I also hate it when they put in sleeves instead of trays to hold discs. Sleeves force me to grab the data side on the disc, not the edges of the disc. Time for some fingerprints!

it's a shame that as time passed the newer versions of the Box set have gotten worse in quality. I do not own the R40 Box set but I have been considering possibly purchasing it but I hated how they split additional content on that Bonus disc. That's basically guaranteeing that most fans will never see that extra content unless they find a copy or watch it on YouTube. But even that isn't guaranteed because of copyright take downs. I have most of the other DVD's and I ordered the one's i don't own and I'll own them soon. Some of them are difficult to find now. I couldn't find a stand alone copy of GUP Live, I had to buy a copy of Rush X3 to get it. I got lucky and snagged it new.

• Like 1

it's a shame that as time passed the newer versions of the Box set have gotten worse in quality. I do not own the R40 Box set but I have been considering possibly purchasing it but I hated how they split additional content on that Bonus disc. That's basically guaranteeing that most fans will never see that extra content unless they find a copy or watch it on YouTube. But even that isn't guaranteed because of copyright take downs. I have most of the other DVD's and I ordered the one's i don't own and I'll own them soon. Some of them are difficult to find now. I couldn't find a stand alone copy of GUP Live, I had to buy a copy of Rush X3 to get it. I got lucky and snagged it new.

Most of what is on R40 is available elsewhere. The main reason I got it was for the previously unreleased live Test For Echo songs (and the Lock And Key Video from the A Show Of Hands laser disc) The R30 bonus disc has most of it.

I have ReplayX3 but I also have the stand alone Grace Under Pressure Tour compact disc also.which apparently is very hard to find and likely out of print.

Most of what is on R40 is available elsewhere. The main reason I got it was for the previously unreleased live Test For Echo songs (and the Lock And Key Video from the A Show Of Hands laser disc) The R30 bonus disc has most of it.

I have ReplayX3 but I also have the stand alone Grace Under Pressure Tour compact disc also.which apparently is very hard to find and likely out of print.

The X3 DVD was the hardest to find for me. I couldn't find anyone selling the standalone GUP Disc. I looked everywhere too. I have all the Concert Videos now and I have now completed my collection. What all is on the R30 Bonus disc? I have the one disc version that comes with the complete set list and the bonus features.

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 1

The X3 DVD was the hardest to find for me. I couldn't find anyone selling the standalone GUP Disc. I looked everywhere too. I have all the Concert Videos now and I have now completed my collection. What all is on the R30 Bonus disc? I have the one disc version that comes with the complete set list and the bonus features.

The Original R30 which has the bonus disc is NOT the complete set.

The R30 Bonus disc has the interview/soundcheck from Sept. 1979, 1981 Le Studio Interview, Much Music1990 Artist of The Decade, and the 2002 Vapor Trails Tour Interview. It's also got 2 of the 3 videos from Don Kirschner's Rock concert TV special from 1974,. The Fly By Night video. The soundstage videos from A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres (Closer To The Heart is on Chronicles) Freewill live from the SARS 2003 concerts. Closer To The Heart with Steven Page and Bubbles From Canada For Asia 2005. There are also some Easter eggs (can't recall what they are at the moment.)

The Original R30 which has the bonus disc is NOT the complete set.

The R30 Bonus disc has the interview/soundcheck from Sept. 1979, 1981 Le Studio Interview, Much Music1990 Artist of The Decade, and the 2002 Vapor Trails Tour Interview. It's also got 2 of the 3 videos from Don Kirschner's Rock concert TV special from 1974,. The Fly By Night video. The soundstage videos from A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres (Closer To The Heart is on Chronicles) Freewill live from the SARS 2003 concerts. Closer To The Heart with Steven Page and Bubbles From Canada For Asia 2005. There are also some Easter eggs (can't recall what they are at the moment.)

So I have everything that's on it then. Good to know.

• Like 1