R40 CD/DVD Packaging: Could the trays be any more awkward?

zappafrank

Picked up the Best Buy version of the combo pack, and good Lord, are the disc trays awful. Not only do the center teeth/whatever/latches seem fragile and flimsy as hell (both putting discs in and taking them out), but the way you have to place the bottom discs under a piece of hard plastic but with no room to get under it to lift it up and out just makes for multiple attempts before finally getting the disc out.

Whoever thought this was a good design really needs to be taken to task.

ETA: The indents for the bottom discs do no good when you constantly feel like lifting the disc out is going to break the aforementioned center latch thing, even if you depress it slightly with your other hand, which then of course requires that you have a flat surface to lay everything on lest you rip or bend the cardboard packaging trying to mess with the discs themselves.

Edited by zappafrank
  • Like 9

Have you noticed best buy flashlight.the Starman is backwards.probaly made in china.

You're kidding....

I thought this was well known by now?

Have you noticed best buy flashlight.the Starman is backwards.probaly made in china.

You're kidding....

Must not have read those threads....(I chose not to pay the extra $10 to find out for myself.)

You're kidding....

Must not have read those threads....(I chose not to pay the extra $10 to find out for myself.)

I'm not sure if it was posted about much here but just in general.

Most original Rush-related issue to complain about?

It's the only time they've ever had packaging quite so awkward so that's why it hasn't come up before. Probably the same person designed this as the T-shirt graphics from the last tour. They were both pretty amateurishly done.

• Like 3

Not only do the overlapping trays suck, but it drives me nuts how small they made the print that tells you which of the 4 discs is which! The blu-ray can only be distinguished by the tiny "b" at the very bottom of the disc. Terrible design all around. Edited by TexMike
  • Like 3

It's pretty much the same packaging as all of their DVD's, but the R30, S&A and CA DVD's had more discs, so there was more fold overs. I wish they had made a limited amount of Steelbook editions though. Also...the Time Machine DVD had a glossy cover, which I wish R40 had. They definitely could have put a little more effort into those details.

Piss poor packaging for such a great release.

Just piss poor.

Oh well. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of the music and video. Negative Nancy is not in my circle of friends. Sort of shocked that now, Optimistic Olivia now has a "retired drummer" for a Dad; her/their needs are greater than ours; individually or collectively. Peart Family FTW.

Besides, how can RUSH top Clockwork Angels and their next R40 tour?

CA + R40 are their epic grapefruit/honeydew...I am both sated and satisfied.

The Garden can grow from all of their seeds and crops and harvests, bountifully.

I have come to terms with it, saying. No offense, either-- friends...

We got lucky or, fortunate with Vapor Trails (and it's not all about Neil, or is it, but w/e).

Two more increasingly EPIC albums S+A, CA and you cannot beat Headlong Flight, BU2B, The Garden. Why try?

These guys are my ABSOLUTE favorite band ever, since 1983, and I can only applaud/thank/relish/enjoy/re-listen/re-listen/listen again to all of the (live) albums.

ATWAS, ESL, ASOH and on, plus the numerous bootlegs I acquired in the '90s.

Well, I only care to share how they've influenced me, and I think my happy gravy boat is full, or at least complete.

Circa 1997: <Well what were our briefs and griefs then...hurry up Neil..?>

NP's been thru hell and back, and back.

My suggestion: Put Clockwork Angels on, all the way to The Garden, Philosophize?

Hugs, guys...sorry for the rant...

My sense upon seeing the Vancouver show this summer was that they are so done.

But you know, R40 Anthem is on Blu-Ray right now...gotta run...

Edited by Hakky2112

Our local Best Buy did not have any Rush DVD's or Blue ray sets at all. My wife bought mine online. I've only watched it once and did not notice any issues with the packaging?

Our Best Buy is pretty shitty IMO.

• Like 2

I haven't received my copy of R40 live yet but i am going to grumble in general about cd/dvd packaging.I am careful when handling my collection( but not anal) but now I have separate storage sleeves for some of my multidisc sets because the trays are broken or the cds/dvds are just too hard to get out.One day I went to play Rio(first disc)and the disc cracked.Fortunately a friend burnt me a copy as I wasn't to keen on buying it again as it wasn't cheap down here in Oz.My Stevie Ray Vaughan set lost all its teeth on 3 of its 4 trays within months while LZ Celebration Day is just falling apart in general.I like how the Sector series had there own plastic inners.I got some for my LZ reissues.Looks like when R40 comes I will just get some separate storage sleeves and file away the original packaging.Annoying though.
  • Like 1

^^^This, and thanks Grasbro, this has been a pet peeve of mine for ages.

Strangely enough this all started for me with Distant Stages, and almost cost me discs 1 & 2. In the end I cannibalized the original carrier. I put discs 1 & 2 in a 2 CD jewel case with the old front cover, back cover, and insert, and used a slim jewel case for disc 3.

I'm thinking about a similar job on the original case for MFH.

C' Mon you cheap mofos we pay good money for CD's, would it kill you to properly package them?

Picked up the Best Buy version of the combo pack, and good Lord, are the disc trays awful. Not only do the center teeth/whatever/latches seem fragile and flimsy as hell (both putting discs in and taking them out), but the way you have to place the bottom discs under a piece of hard plastic but with no room to get under it to lift it up and out just makes for multiple attempts before finally getting the disc out.

Whoever thought this was a good design really needs to be taken to task.

ETA: The indents for the bottom discs do no good when you constantly feel like lifting the disc out is going to break the aforementioned center latch thing, even if you depress it slightly with your other hand, which then of course requires that you have a flat surface to lay everything on lest you rip or bend the cardboard packaging trying to mess with the discs themselves.

I've got a few of those combo packs - I know how you feel. Sometimes I'm too nervous to get the disc out in case the disc cracks from the enter.