Do you buy any Christmas gifts out of obligation?

Mara

Meaning, are there people in your life who you may not really care much for, but for whatever reason you find yourself grudgingly forking over bux every Christmas to get them a gift. (I've re-gifted in such instances as well).

I know - it totally violates the spirit of generosity that is SUPPOSED to be the motivation. But sometimes it's just the wiser move to make. A smallish gesture to keep the peace.

Do you bother? And what sort of gifts do you give these people?

My personal favorite is a Hickory Farms box. Nothing says "I don't much like you, but got you a gift anyway so you don't spend the rest of the year talking trash about how I didn't give you anything" like warm cheese and calcified summer sausage!

• Like 5

Yes.

As sad as this is, the first person who comes to mind in this category is my mother. She and my stepfather, both.

Relatively cheap earrings, and some mixed nuts. Maybe a movie theater gift card. That takes care of them. :P

• Like 1

I'm pretty out-of-touch with my relatives so i don't really know what they'd like.. so i just give 'em all money. This is regarded as thoughtless by some / many but i think it's the safest - if not wisest - option.
  • Like 2

Meaning, are there people in your life who you may not really care much for, but for whatever reason you find yourself grudgingly forking over bux every Christmas to get them a gift. (I've re-gifted in such instances as well).

I know - it totally violates the spirit of generosity that is SUPPOSED to be the motivation. But sometimes it's just the wiser move to make. A smallish gesture to keep the peace.

Do you bother? And what sort of gifts do you give these people?

My personal favorite is a Hickory Farms box. Nothing says "I don't much like you, but got you a gift anyway so you don't spend the rest of the year talking trash about how I didn't give you anything" like warm cheese and calcified summer sausage!

Yeah. Well, sort of. Christmas for me is "family reunion" thing. Only close family. Well, closish, you know where I'm heading. So when everyone comes out to NY, I usually buy like a boatload of their favorite candy for all of them. But like my mom, brother, and sisters, yeah I get the good stuff.

• Like 2

I generally don't buy Christmas gifts anymore. I don't like being pushed to buy crap just because stores want to make a profit. I would rather give of myself or possibly handmade things at other times of the year.
  • Like 3

I generally don't buy Christmas gifts anymore. I don't like being pushed to buy crap just because stores want to make a profit. I would rather give of myself or possibly handmade things at other times of the year.

I do give home-baked goods to a lot of people I am close to. My dad and both grandmothers- they don't need anything, but they LOVE the Mexican wedding cookies I make. Seriously, Dad has ruined his Christmas dinner appetite with these. He is crazy for them and if I give them too early, before dinner, he tears into them and gets stuffed. I love being able to do something so simple that brings so much delight.

I get a lot of joy out of exchanging gifts with people most beloved. But the obligatory stuff? Just a way to avoid drama. Sometimes it's a matter of deciding that Christmas isn't a fun hill to on which to die.

• Like 3

My only obligatory gift? Just this ceiling fan for my ex wife...

http://i.imgur.com/wxNYygK.gif

You sure know how to woo a woman. ;)

Considering it's his ex-wife, I don't think he was trying to woo....

• Like 2

I know. I was being sarcastic. That's why I put ;) at the end.

• Like 2

I stopped caring about Christmas years ago, thanks to the younger people in my family. Christmas means just one thing to them: "I get presents!"
  • Like 1

I stopped caring about Christmas years ago, thanks to the younger people in my family. Christmas means just one thing to them: "I get presents!"

Shouldn't have let the younger ones ruin it for you. Christmas can be a great thing.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/andrewq2112/IMG_5770.jpg

((not a Christmas pic but you get the message))

• Like 2

I used to feel obligated to buy my nieces and nephews gifts every year but I stopped because I hardly see them. And they are at an age where they are old enough to have a relationship with me, irrespective of their parents. So if the only time you know me is Christmas time, then forget it.

no-gift-for-you3.jpg

• Like 2

My Kids, My Best Friend in New England, and one here in Saline, and One of my collectable Diecast vehicles. (The "Bullet" Mustang) for me....all others like Swiss Colony sweets (petit Fours) I know what they like, and It makes me more 'merry'! LOL http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Holidays/ChristmasTreeampsmilieHat.gif
  • Like 1

I'm pretty out-of-touch with my relatives so i don't really know what they'd like.. so i just give 'em all money. This is regarded as thoughtless by some / many but i think it's the safest - if not wisest - option.

Nope it's wise. Even with close family they mostly get vouchers, best option all round.

A lot of what I buy is out of obligation. Many of the people that I bought stuff for, this year, I've never met, or rarely met, but I did it so that I could buy my nieces and nephew a PS4 and Rock Band 4. He he he.

BTW, the Rush tune on that game is:

Drumroll, please:

"A Passage To Bangkok"!

Seriously, I don't know why I do it, and it's stupid. None of those people that I bought for are likely to give me anything, nor call and say, "Thank You," but they might. Like I said, I don't know them, and I basically look at it as another form or marriage tax.

The thing is, the people who I'd like to buy a gift for, whom I like, some of whom are on this forum, I don't buy for, since I spent all my money on these other guys, and my wife would probably start asking questions.

I know. I was being sarcastic. That's why I put ;) at the end.

What the heck......? :o

It never fails to amaze me that so many people create financial anxiety for themselves at Christmas time, all in order to buy each other more clutter to fill their homes. Or exchanging "gift cards." Merry Christmas, Don. Here's a $50 gift card for Best Buy. Thanks, Gladys! Here's a $50 gift card for Lee Valley! (Boy, I'm glad I went for the $50 gift card, because I would have felt terrible if she'd spent more than I had. Well, anyway, now I have $50 that I have to spend in one store, as opposed to $50 I could spend anywhere, or buy groceries or gas with, or pay a bill with or something.)

Anyway, I'm all set for spreading good cheer over the holiday. There's always January to sort it all out and pay the credit card bills that are twice or three times higher than normal.

Sorry for sounding bitter, but "obligation" does seem to be the name of the game here. Obligation to buy things for the special people in your life and often the not-so-special people, obligation to make sure you spend just the right amount on everyone. I'm glad my friends and I have pretty much all decided to stop buying each other Christmas gifts, and that the adults in my family are all content to do a $20-limit secret Santa thing.

:rantoff:

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

It never fails to amaze me that so many people create financial anxiety for themselves at Christmas time, all in order to buy each other more clutter to fill their homes. Or exchanging "gift cards." Merry Christmas, Don. Here's a $50 gift card for Best Buy. Thanks, Gladys! Here's a $50 gift card for Lee Valley! (Boy, I'm glad I went for the $50 gift card, because I would have felt terrible if she'd spent more than I had. Well, anyway, now I have $50 that I have to spend in one store, as opposed to $50 I could spend anywhere, or buy groceries or gas with, or pay a bill with or something.)

Anyway, I'm all set for spreading good cheer over the holiday. There's always January to sort it all out and pay the credit card bills that are twice or three times higher than normal.

Sorry for sounding bitter, but "obligation" does seem to be the name of the game here. Obligation to buy things for the special people in your life and often the not-so-special people, obligation to make sure you spend just the right amount on everyone. I'm glad my friends and I have pretty much all decided to stop buying each other Christmas gifts, and that the adults in my family are all content to do a $20-limit secret Santa thing.

:rantoff:

You are so not alone in your rant.

I'm not even sure it sounds all that bitter...and even if it does, it IS a realistic way to look at the whole thing.

• Like 1