Rock n' Roll not "showy" anymore?

fraroc

What mainly lacks in many bands born since 1990s is not great stage effects, but the innate showmanship of the players.

It used to be you could do both, write great songs and also know how to put on a show. I was listening to Thin Lizzy today, Live and Dangerous..perfect example. They had just enough flash and Rock star attitude, but also were great players and wrote good tunes.

• Like 2

What mainly lacks in many bands born since 1990s is not great stage effects, but the innate showmanship of the players.

It used to be you could do both, write great songs and also know how to put on a show. I was listening to Thin Lizzy today, Live and Dangerous..perfect example. They had just enough flash and Rock star attitude, but also were great players and wrote good tunes.

I was listening to Thin Lizzy today too, this one:

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Music/4c/1d/e5/mzi.pxtwscsz.600x600-75.jpg

Even as early as 1975 they had a ton of great songs.

• Like 2

The grunge movement ruined rock 'n' roll.

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

:LOL:

Can't decide if you're laughing at my opinion, or because you think the chris cornell crack was funny....

in all seriousness, I don't like the arena rocker's obsession with showmanship, and I don't like the hipster's insistence that no songs should have solos. there's a happy medium to be found here... if you only like bands with 9 minute solos and lord of the rings lyrics, you're stupid. if you only like bands with 3 minute songs who sing about heroin, new york and bad breakups, you're stupid.

I HIGHLY doubt that bands like Poison had lord of the rings lyrics.

Can't agree with that.....I accept there were a few turkeys in there, but there was some cracking stuff too.

IMO Dirt by Alice in Chains is a masterpiece, and although Layne Stayley was fairly low key as a person, there was bags of "showiness" in his vocals...that guy could really sing.

Also, Chris Cornell is a major talent, despite the increasing ridiculousness of his lyrics.

Can't decide if you're laughing at my opinion, or because you think the chris cornell crack was funny....

I'm laughing because you're saying it's good, but...

Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are great bands.

• Like 5

I just had a thought about a double bass drum: I can't remember who it was, but I could've sworn there was a band that had two of them in addition to the rest of the kit.

Two doubles, as in four bass drums?

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/lessons/040813-avhopener-1.jpg

Alex VH. Showy.

Er... oh cripes..! I meant two bass drums..! :blush:

That drum kit makes me salivate on myself. My God I love it!!! This kit and the 1984 kit RULE!!!!!!

I just had a thought about a double bass drum: I can't remember who it was, but I could've sworn there was a band that had two of them in addition to the rest of the kit.

Two doubles, as in four bass drums?

http://www.drummagazine.com/images/lessons/040813-avhopener-1.jpg

Alex VH. Showy.

Er... oh cripes..! I meant two bass drums..! :blush:

That drum kit makes me salivate on myself. My God I love it!!! This kit and the 1984 kit RULE!!!!!!

Alex is trying to be Keith Moon in that picture!

I like that we love a band that has an album about a fake dude in a fake world that involves carnies but Chris cornells lyrics are ridiculous.

Signed, spoonman

• Like 1

Music, films, sports, Broadway plays - they all fall under the umbrella of something called Show Biz

The pioneers of rock and roll - Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, even later on with Hendrix - they all understood this, and were so successfully because their personalities came thru

There is no shame in being showy - just different levels, esp in regards to sincerity

• Like 2

If you like that kind of thing. ;)

I think soundgarden is a bore but it's because of their music, not their image (musically they were closer to arena rock darlings like zep than they were to any punk rock) and I definitely wouldn't laugh at someone for liking them. especially when most of you codgers are into night ranger, asia, other various punchlines

and fraroc- who is talking about poison and their shitty no balls music? my point was that there is good music that is theatrical and over the top, there is good music that is minimalist and simplistic. rock is way too big and amazing to put yourself in either a prog box or a punk box and refuse to leave
  • Like 2

but ya know, I will throw you dinosaurs a bone. I wish more modern bands would have some level of showmanship - not saying it has to be Peter Gabriel Genesis style, but this trend of acting like you either don't notice or despise the audience is as anti-rock n roll as it gets. smash something, give us a "hello Cleveland," anything.

and fraroc- who is talking about poison and their shitty no balls music? my point was that there is good music that is theatrical and over the top, there is good music that is minimalist and simplistic. rock is way too big and amazing to put yourself in either a prog box or a punk box and refuse to leave

David Bowie was theatrical and had plenty of good stuff. Same for Queen. Same for Elton John.

• Like 1

David Bowie was theatrical and had plenty of good stuff. Same for Queen. Same for Elton John.

and a million other bands. somehow Bowie managed to still have hipster street cred despite having as crazy a stage show as Kiss.

and a million other bands. somehow Bowie managed to still have hipster street cred despite having as crazy a stage show as Kiss.

Some people seem legitimately weird and some people seem like they are trying to look weird on purpose. Kiss never passed the smell test for me.

Some people seem legitimately weird and some people seem like they are trying to look weird on purpose. Kiss never passed the smell test for me.

to me, kiss took what were essentially stones tunes, turned up the volume, threw on some costumes for attention, and made a killing. I can't fault them - they've written some timeless rock anthems, they've influenced more bands than rush, and gene has made sure people still talk about them long after people quit buying their records. I am forced to admit that there's something genius about all that

• Like 1

in all seriousness, I don't like the arena rocker's obsession with showmanship, and I don't like the hipster's insistence that no songs should have solos. there's a happy medium to be found here... if you only like bands with 9 minute solos and lord of the rings lyrics, you're stupid. if you only like bands with 3 minute songs who sing about heroin, new york and bad breakups, you're stupid.

Don't talk shit about Neil Young

• Like 2

but ya know, I will throw you dinosaurs a bone. I wish more modern bands would have some level of showmanship - not saying it has to be Peter Gabriel Genesis style, but this trend of acting like you either don't notice or despise the audience is as anti-rock n roll as it gets. smash something, give us a "hello Cleveland," anything.

Have you heard of a little band called GHOST?

:D

^^^ confuses Neil Young with Lou Reed.
  • Like 2

Without the make-up they would have been a mere footnote. Still, they have some classic pop-rock songs.
  • Like 1

^^^ confuses Neil Young with Lou Reed.

It was a joke because Neil Young has actually written about all three...