Barchetta - "Bar-Chet-tah" vs "Bar-Ket-tah"

Geddyleegenes

Because in Italy, it's officially pronounced "Bar-Ket-tah".

Didn't know this until a year or so ago. Heard it pronounced "Bar-Ket-tah" on one of those Classic Car shows on Spike TV or some cable channel like that. Thought the guy who said it like that was an idiot, but then it turned out he was saying it correctly.

Geddy didn't know that the "H" wasn't pronounced and neither did Neil when he wrote the lyrics.

How do people in Italy sing it when they sing along with Geddy? Do they sing "Bar-Chet-tah" or do they sing "Bar-Ket-tah"?

And just how exactly do people in Canada sing it when they sing along with Geddy? Do they sing "Bar-Chet-Zed"?

• Like 2

I have heard Neil pronounce it in its proper way in at least one interview before. Not sure that means anything but... Edited by Narps

Along these same lines, do you say "par-ma-zhan" or "par-me-san"? How about "poin-sett-a" in stead of "poin-set-tia"? Irregardless, does any of this matter? Not hardly. Literally a mountain out of a mole hill. Edited by goose

Didn't know this until a year or so ago. Heard it pronounced "Bar-Ket-tah" on one of those Classic Car shows on Spike TV or some cable channel like that. Thought the guy who said it like that was an idiot, but then it turned out he was saying it correctly.

Geddy didn't know that the "H" wasn't pronounced and neither did Neil when he wrote the lyrics.

How do people in Italy sing it when they sing along with Geddy? Do they sing "Bar-Chet-tah" or do they sing "Bar-Ket-tah"?

And just how exactly do people in Canada sing it when they sing along with Geddy? Do they sing "Bar-Chet-Zed"?

I think this song title is pronounced:

ZED BARCHETTA!

LOL!!!!!!!!

I love myself!! No really I do!

I don't need to be co-dependant on a woman anymore! FUKK IT! RIGHT?

I'm "Nobody's Hero!"

It's barKetta, but I sing the way I feel in that moment... it comes natural to sing barketta, anyway... ;)

And when we talk about the song, it's ALWAYS barketta :)

• Like 1

BTW... what is La villa STRANGIATO? ahah

La villa is a house with a garden all around... but strangiato is a big question point ;)

I think it could come from the word "strano" that is your "strange/weird/bizarre". So strangiato could be about something that become strange, so it's a house with the garden that become strange after something happened ;)

Having a bad thing for Italian cars I really wish they had got it right on MP; Bar-KE-tah sounds so much better to me. I realize Neil didn't have the benefit of the internet in 1981, but being such a big car guy, I still wonder how he could not know how to pronounce barchetta. The namesake, the Ferrari 166, starred at the Mille Miglia race in its day (hence the name change to166MM), which at the time was the world's most prestigious race, like Le Mans would later become. Probably he had only read about these things and had not heard someone say it; I've heard barchetta said so many times (in reference to the car) that I almost can't help but wonder how he couldn't have known the word, but then he didn't have the benefit of watching documentaries and interviews on YouTube like me of course. Still, Toronto must have some genuine Italian restaurants; go get dinner and ask a native how to pronounce the word.

Even so, Red Bar-CHE-tah remains their best song, with the possible exception of Xanadu. Minor sin, easily overlooked. Of course Neil will sleep better knowing I feel that way ;)

• Like 1

FOOLS! All of you! There is a mispronunciation but it is not the one you are thinking. You've got the wrong car for one.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/1980_Camaro_Berlinetta_Ad_1.jpg

It is Red Berlinetta as in Camaro Berlinetta.

Edited by JohnRogers

A brilliant berlinetta from a better, vanished time?

Of course they don't call 1978-1980 The Grand Second Gilded Age for nothing!

Ride like the wind

Straining the limits

Of Camaro and man

Laughing out loud with fear and hope

I've got a desperate plan

Of course the plan was desperate. The build quality of a 1980 Camaro was terrible!

• Like 1

Ride like the wind

Straining the limits

Of Camaro and man

Of course the plan was desperate. The build quality of a 1980 Camaro was terrible!

I think the gleaming alloy air car was just a Chrysler k car

Ride like the wind

Straining the limits

Of Camaro and man

True, LOL. At least Ford didn't put out a Mustang II Berlinetta (adding insult to injury). Looks like the Camaro Berlinetta has craftsman-stitched fine Corinthian weave fabric seats (all the way from Corinth!).

• Like 1

Along these same lines, do you say "par-ma-zhan" or "par-me-san"? How about "poin-sett-a" in stead of "poin-set-tia"? Irregardless, does any of this matter? Not hardly. Literally a mountain out of a mole hill.

Irregardless?

:eh:

On the subject of the thread, I say Bar-chet-ta...(hmm, and I do like Chet Atkins, while I'm at it...but that doesn't have anything to do with it).

However- if I ever find myself in Italy, I will say Bar-Kett-ta...because, you know...when in Rome...

Edited by Blue J