Z vs Zed

fraroc

Thread title makes no sense eh.. Z and zed are the same.

Oh really?

So the name of this animal can be zebra or zedbra?

http://dailysun.bowdoin.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Zebra.jpg

it's a zebra and it's spelled with a z which is pronounced "zed".. like don't be such a hoser eh.. ;)

Oh really?

it's a zebra and it's spelled with a z which is pronounced "zed".. like don't be such a hoser eh.. ;)

I see. So if a part of another word, it's zee. If standing alone, it's zed. Makes perfect sense.

I know that's how I learned my ABC's in school. Then again, I attended 1st through 12th grade and not grade 1 through grade 12. :crazy:

Oh really?

Well, with Zebra there is actually the Zeb-ra vs. Zeeb-ra pronunciation difference ;)

Just listen:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/zebra

Edited by Your_Lion

They were going to call it "Ding-da-ding-ding-ding-da-ding-ding-ding-ding-da-da" originally. Then they were thinking "-.-- -.-- --.." but the label wouldn't go for it.
  • Like 1

I always called it YYZee. Still do.

To me it's always been (and always will be) YYZ(ee). I know it doesn't make sense to say it like that but it never occurred to me to call it YYZ(ed) before I joined this forum.

I find this interesting, since you guys are from Zed countries. May I ask why you don't say 'Zed'?

To me it's always been (and always will be) YYZ(ee). I know it doesn't make sense to say it like that but it never occurred to me to call it YYZ(ed) before I joined this forum.

I find this interesting, since you guys are from Zed countries. May I ask why you don't say 'Zed'?

I can't speak for LittleRushmonkey, but for me, I just naturally assumed it was pronounced as YYZee - I didn't know it was pronounced any other way. Even so, it's become a habit.

• Like 1

I can't speak for LittleRushmonkey, but for me, I just naturally assumed it was pronounced as YYZee - I didn't know it was pronounced any other way. Even so, it's become a habit.

I think it sounds better and my dad has always said zee so I've always said zee.

• Like 3

I think it sounds better and my dad has always said zee so I've always said zee.

I've said Zee since 1981 so it's hard to change. I also think it sounds better

Edited by EagleMoon

I pronounced it YYZed until I heard the band call it YYZee. I'm sure that Lee or Peart ( or both) pronounced it with the American "Zee".

That said it should be YYZed there can be no debate on that as, obviously, it's based on the airport call sign for Toronto.

I pronounced it YYZed until I heard the band call it YYZee. I'm sure that Lee or Peart ( or both) pronounced it with the American "Zee".

That said it should be YYZed there can be no debate on that as, obviously, it's based on the airport call sign for Toronto.

Except they can call it whatever they want since it's their song, regardless if it's based on something else or not.

Except they can call it whatever they want since it's their song, regardless if it's based on something else or not.

Well not once you tell everyone what "YYZ" is and them being Canadian an' all.

Edited by Tony R

Let's express our unhappiness in the apparent retirement of our favorite band by arguing about nothing on the Internet.

Discussing stuff on an Internet Forum. How novel!

What is it about the title "therushforum.com" you do not understand? If this discussion of trivia is upsetting you try going to your safe place, stick your thumb in your mouth and wear a fresh pair of diapers.

Sure they can, it's their song. :LOL:

Edited by EagleMoon

Sure they can, it's their song. :LOL:

Laughing like a braying donkey does not reinforce your viewpoint in any way.

• Like 1

This is tangentially related to the Zee vs. Zed thing, so here goes...

Can someone tell me why we, in the English-speaking world at least, call certain countries by something other than their name? For example, there is a country called Deutschland. Why do we call it "Germany" when that is not it's name? Why do we need to Anglicize things?

• Like 1

In other news, what is it that Alex says in the A Show Of Hands video during La Villa that is missing audio with the Hazard warning??

Or, have we had that topic on here for the 10th time also??