Z vs Zed

fraroc

Let's start a thread about YYZ and discuss what the letters mean.

But really, what do you think about YYZ's voice?

The shittiest lyrics Neil ever wrote.....

You all know up here in Canada we say Y-Y-Zed, but did you know we say Zee-Zee Top, not Zed-Zed Top?

So my advice to you all from Americaland, follow our example and you'll be on the right side of history.

I'm British and pronounce it YYZee, always have. It just sounds better in this instance.

I like the hair metal band XYZed

First album produced by Don Dokken.

You Rush Closed Minded I mean Closer To The Heart Rush Fanatics wouldn't know about that band.

As a matter of fact, you Rush Fanatics are clueless about music outside of the progressive rock genre.

Shame on you.

You know who you are.

Thread title makes no sense eh.. Z and zed are the same.

I still have my luggage tags from when I took my ex wife and I to R30 in Toronto.

It was one of the greatest times of my life. Orbit Room too.

No wonder my wife left me.

YYZUCKER BROTHERS!

FUKK IT!

Signed,

AIRPLANE!

I bet some of you don't even get my sense of humor.

I've wasted 9 years on here.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1

The thread title looks funny to me, since I pronounce them both the same.

Surely "Zee vs Zed" would have been better

• Like 1

Now that we're on the topic on pronunciation (at least at page 2 as far as I've come), how do you pronounce the letter 'w'? like 'double-you'?

Would that make you "The Analog Grodouble-younup"?

Zee sounds stupid to my ears for most things, but its irrelevant.

The artist named t YYZED so thats how its pronounced, just like ZEEZEETOP named it that way.

Your particular location and colloquialisms are not germane.

Edited by Fridge

I know if a fellow American said YYZed to me, with a perfectly straight face, I would think they are amusing, and not in a good way, like those American tv journalists who try so hard to pronounce foreign names with all the inflections of someone from that country. It's not an "American way or the highway! Yeee-haw!" kind of thing, it's a "just who are you trying to impress, or do you really think this matters?" kind of thing.
  • Like 1

I'm no English teacher, but the reason I asked was because wouldn't it properly be YYZed around the world no matter where you live because it's the name of a song?

I know if a fellow American said YYZed to me, with a perfectly straight face, I would think they are amusing, and not in a good way, like those American tv journalists who try so hard to pronounce foreign names with all the inflections of someone from that country. It's not an "American way or the highway! Yeee-haw!" kind of thing, it's a "just who are you trying to impress, or do you really think this matters?" kind of thing.

Alex Trebek is terrible that way. That, being a douchebag, and condescending toward the contestants.

• Like 1