What About The Voice Of Geddy Lee?

Eel Yddeg

Eel, really, no offense intended, but there have been several threads now dedicated to this. There was a good discussion on them and now we've moved on for a while. There's no use bringing up the same topics over and over. :)

I agree but I'm sure as I type this, someone is about to post another thread about the Neil Peart situation. :beathorse:

Maybe not if we get down on our knees and pray. Real hard.

We can only hope.

They've already said its retirement from touring, which we knew already, not music entirely. I don't get why the threads are still going.

Exactly. People keep talking about a topic where there's nothing more to talk about.

C'mon Egg, we're talking about Geddy here ... The Passage To Bangkok from 1980 is great, and we're just enjoying comparing some of these shows ..

The only people who are talking about Neil in this thread at this point are the ones who don't want to talk about Neil anymore

:D

As far as Geddy's voice goes, I think we need to take into consideration the touring schedule, and perhaps some shows might have been back to back while other might have had a few days rest in between

The Pinkpop Festival in 1979 is still one of his best, and that was '79

The conversation I was having with EagleMoon started by saying that we didn't need another Geddy voice thread after the several we had gotten mere days before. We were relating that to the overflow of Neil Peart threads.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070814221426/familyguy/images/a/a6/Lois-spanks-stewie-animation.gif

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you mean it like I just virtually slapped you that wasn't my intention at all. I was just clarifying why we were talking about Neil Peart retirement threads.

nooooooo !!

Just a friendly spank

It's all in fun

Ah, okay. ;)

So I have to assume you were just looking for somewhere to post that gif and this thread fit the bill? ;)

lol

no, it was specially sought out just for Egg

I feel so special! :blush:

• Like 2

Analysis of his vocals on the Farewell to Kings tour.

I don't see why people say his voice shifted around this time. The 1977 bootlegs (Kings on the Stage, Canadian Bacon, The Magic Hall (One of the best Lee vocal performances ever), The Art Of Sound, Ron's Vault Release #5) as well as the Providence 1978 show feature him sounding just as strong as the 2112 and All The World's A Stage tour. If anything, he sounds BETTER than some of the ATWAS gigs, as they featured him trying to put on a deeper tone, which sounded odd. (Aud Lang Syme is an example) The February gigs sound a bit weaker, as he was ill during the time, but he still puts in some awesome performances. (Bastille Day and By-Tor from Apollo 1978 are the absolute best versions ever, and the Different Stages version of Cygnus X-1 is second to The Magic Hall ). Finally, the one show we have near the end of the tour features him sounding in top form, but he doesn't go for as many high notes (due to end of tour fatigue). Overall, he still sounds in top form, with the weaker gigs coming from different factors (Illness in February and end of tour fatigue in May)

I'm confused why everyone says this was the big shift in his voice.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

BUMP!

We all know Geddy lost the ability to sing high and screechy around 1978-1979, and stopped being able to hit the early highs at all by around 1983-1984.

Personally, however, I think Geddy could have kept his "screeching" voice a lot longer. I'm not sure what caused him to loose it so young (Just 25 years old!) but I think it was narrowed down to these two things.

Overtouring: Rush played WAY too many concerts back in the day. They played over 100 concerts every year from 1974-1981, including 162 in 1977 alone, and sometimes played concerts over 2 weeks in a row! They finally cut things down around 1982, but it was too little, too late. I think they could have cut a lot of concerts out. The Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures warm-up tours could have been cut out, as with the second leg of the Farewell to Kings tour and second and third legs of the Moving Pictures tour. From there, they could have cut out a lot of gigs. The 2112/All The World's A Stage tour alone had over 200 gigs! About 60-75 concerts a year would have been more reasonable.

Oversinging: Geddy didn't need to hit all the notes, every night, for hundreds of nights straight. Even in the early years, there were a lot of times where he struggled to hit notes (See 2112 from the 5/30/1976 (Tuning Man) bootleg for a prime example, or Anthem from the 11/19/1974 (Music Is Paramount) bootleg). All of the songs in the set were through the roof high, and even the ones that weren't (In The Mood, Working Man, By-Tor) were sung much higher starting around 1976. (And some songs that already WERE, like Anthem, were sung even HIGHER) He could have been more conservative, using the studio melody lines in the aforementioned songs, and saving his voice on several nights, using conservative, lower melody lines in various songs. They also could have balanced those hard songs with easier songs to sing, such as Tears, Madrigal, and (as boring as it is) Rivendell.

With those precautions made, I think he could have kept his high range into his 40's, and maybe even longer.

Eel, if you don't mind me saying, you seem to be obsessed with Geddy and his voice. Why is that?

As for the two reasons you have given, I've read that elsewhere.

What's done is done. Geddy can't undo what he did.

No use in crying over spilled milk.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

Eel, if you don't mind me saying, you seem to be obsessed with Geddy and his voice. Why is that?

1. His voice in the '70s was really damn good!

2. His voice since then has also been good, except for the Vapor Trails/R30 voice

3. There's a lot to discuss about his voice, he's went through several eras

4. It's just so sad how he lost his glorious original voice so quickly. He was a GOD from 1974-1978! Listening to him struggle his way through 2112 in 1979 is like watching a once great boxer getting pummeled around the ring.

And I know what's done is done, i'm just pointing it out.

As an aside, most said his voice in the '70s didn't fit with later stuff, but I disagree. I can already see it now...

IN DIFFERENT CIRCLES WE KEEP HOLDING OUR GROOOOOOOOOOUND! IN DIFFERENT CIRCLES WE KEEP SPINNING! ROUND! AND! ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUND! OH YEAH!

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 1

It's just so sad how he lost his glorious original voice so quickly. He was a GOD from 1974-1978! Listening to him struggle his way through 2112 in 1979 is like watching a once great boxer getting pummeled around the ring.

You may have posted it already on this thread, but so I don't have to read through five pages, can you give me two shows with him singing 2112 so I can compare - one from before 1979 and the one in 1979 you are referring to.

That second one isn't as good as the first one but hard to tell exactly how much is his singing and how much is the poor quality of the recording.

As an alternative to the 1000 threads about Geddy's voice, here's a thread to discuss anything and everything about Geddy Lee's helium voice. Best performances, worst performances, best/worst eras, best/worst concerts...

The first topic of discussion is...

What performances of Subdivisions on this tour didn't have Geddy yodeling the choruses? I know Denver had him singing them well, but did any others?

I thought this thread was about the song written by the band Pavement.

You poor Rush souls have no clue about RUSH.

Good Luck.

As an alternative to the 1000 threads about Geddy's voice, here's a thread to discuss anything and everything about Geddy Lee's helium voice. Best performances, worst performances, best/worst eras, best/worst concerts...

What performances of Subdivisions on this tour didn't have Geddy yodeling the choruses? I know Denver had him singing them well, but did any others?

Good Luck.

Yes and most also dont have a clue about Pavement. Those people are missing out. Steven Malkmus is anhuge Rush fan. Hell he might also even be on Geddys keeper rotis league.

Good Luck.

Yes and most also dont have a clue about Pavement. Those people are missing out. Steven Malkmus is anhuge Rush fan. Hell he might also even be on Geddys keeper rotis league.

oh good lord, there's a band from the past

Pavement, Ween, The Connells

Next thing we'll be talking about Lewis Largent

Thank god for Skull Daze

Good Luck.

Thank god for Skull Daze

You keep mentioning Skull Daze.

What is it and why should I listen haha

• Like 1

Good Luck.

Thank god for Skull Daze

You keep mentioning Skull Daze.

What is it and why should I listen haha

Digtal Dad's favorite band

I'll PM you Segue

• Like 1

Good Luck.

Thank god for Skull Daze

Ive seen Ween like 6 times. Yet i don't love them. The Mollusk is an incredible album.

That second one isn't as good as the first one but hard to tell exactly how much is his singing and how much is the poor quality of the recording.

That recording is a soundboard tape.

That recording is a soundboard tape.

Still poor quality.