What About The Voice Of Geddy Lee?

Eel Yddeg

Eel, really, no offense intended, but there have been several threads now dedicated to this. There was a good discussion on them and now we've moved on for a while. There's no use bringing up the same topics over and over. :)

I agree but I'm sure as I type this, someone is about to post another thread about the Neil Peart situation. :beathorse:

• Like 2

Eel, really, no offense intended, but there have been several threads now dedicated to this. There was a good discussion on them and now we've moved on for a while. There's no use bringing up the same topics over and over. :)

I agree but I'm sure as I type this, someone is about to post another thread about the Neil Peart situation. :beathorse:

Maybe not if we get down on our knees and pray. Real hard.

• Like 2

Another thing i want to discuss.

Did he start losing high power on the Farewell to Kings tour?

I don't think so. I barely notice a difference between his voice on the 2112/ATWAS tour and here.

Here is a version of 2112 Temples Of Syrinx from 1976 (Starts 4 minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHqpmqMDZx0

And here from 1978 (Starts 34 minutes in).

On the other hand, i notice a HUGE difference from this to the Hemispheres tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-_aUNh39E

This version of Temples of Syrinx (Starts 4 minutes in) has him singing very powerless and weak.

Discuss.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

the who is going out next year for their 50th anniversary tour, ged should fill in on a few shows.

You know, I've had this same idea. The thought of him up there on stage jamming away with two of the three original members is pretty scintillating. But over the last weekend, I saw parts of a recent Who concert (I think on Palladium) and they had like 8 guys on stage! I can see adding a keyboard player, but additional guitarists? Maybe I'm spoiled because Rush never went that way and that's what I expect all bands to do, and maybe having live musicians is preferable to some instead of the multiple layers of samples that Rush triggers on stage, but the optics of Geddy lost in a sea of backup musicians holds no appeal for me. I watched the show and thought about how bummed I'd be to see him amidst that clutter.

That said, watching Geddy slay The Real Me would be worth the price of admission.

• Like 2

They'd go away if everyone would ignore them and stop commenting on them rather than turning them into 40-page threads.

• Like 1

Had never heard this until just now

Geddy sounds great circa 1980

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m18NSgAkXHc

Sounds great.

Even if his shrieking days were over, that it still a great performance!

Another great post '70s performance is the Different Stages version of 2112. Geddy comes close to his classic shriek at times!

To me, the word shriek is not a positive one and I consider his 70s singing to be a good thing. :)

I can pretty much guarantee it. I can't wait until it blows over.

We can only hope.

We can only hope.

They've already said its retirement from touring, which we knew already, not music entirely. I don't get why the threads are still going.

• Like 1

Sounds great.

Another great post '70s performance is the Different Stages version of 2112. Geddy comes close to his classic shriek at times!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXLbnRJzADs

To me, the word shriek is not a positive one and I consider his 70s singing to be a good thing. :)

I'm not using it in a negative way. I think his '70s singing is his best.

• Like 2

Sounds great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXLbnRJzADs

I'm not using it in a negative way. I think his '70s singing is his best.

I agree

I love the early Geddy circa 1974-75 in which he was still showing his Janis Joplin influence ... But sometime around 1977, and on thru 1980, he smoothed that out and found a very natural sounding comfort zone which is my favorite

I think after 1980, he made the conscious effort to become more subtle, and as the music shifted, the style he perfected during the 70s unfortunately went out the power window

• Like 1

We can only hope.

They've already said its retirement from touring, which we knew already, not music entirely. I don't get why the threads are still going.

Exactly. People keep talking about a topic where there's nothing more to talk about.

We can only hope.

Exactly. People keep talking about a topic where there's nothing more to talk about.

C'mon Egg, we're talking about Geddy here ... The Passage To Bangkok from 1980 is great, and we're just enjoying comparing some of these shows ..

The only people who are talking about Neil in this thread at this point are the ones who don't want to talk about Neil anymore

:D

As far as Geddy's voice goes, I think we need to take into consideration the touring schedule, and perhaps some shows might have been back to back while other might have had a few days rest in between

The Pinkpop Festival in 1979 is still one of his best, and that was '79

Another thing i want to discuss.

Did he start losing high power on the Farewell to Kings tour?

I don't think so. I barely notice a difference between his voice on the 2112/ATWAS tour and here.

Here is a version of 2112 Temples Of Syrinx from 1976 (Starts 4 minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHqpmqMDZx0

And here from 1978 (Starts 34 minutes in).

On the other hand, i notice a HUGE difference from this to the Hemispheres tour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-_aUNh39E

This version of Temples of Syrinx (Starts 4 minutes in) has him singing very powerless and weak.

Discuss.

By the time Soliloquy comes around, Geddy is hitting the notes - he sounds great at the end

My spirits are low in the depths of despair, my lifeblood, spills over

We can only hope.

C'mon Egg, we're talking about Geddy here ... The Passage To Bangkok from 1980 is great, and we're just enjoying comparing some of these shows ..

The only people who are talking about Neil in this thread at this point are the ones who don't want to talk about Neil anymore

As far as Geddy's voice goes, I think we need to take into consideration the touring schedule, and perhaps some shows might have been back to back while other might have had a few days rest in between

The conversation I was having with EagleMoon started by saying that we didn't need another Geddy voice thread after the several we had gotten mere days before. We were relating that to the overflow of Neil Peart threads.

• Like 2

We can only hope.

The conversation I was having with EagleMoon started by saying that we didn't need another Geddy voice thread after the several we had gotten mere days before. We were relating that to the overflow of Neil Peart threads.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070814221426/familyguy/images/a/a6/Lois-spanks-stewie-animation.gif

• Like 1

We can only hope.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070814221426/familyguy/images/a/a6/Lois-spanks-stewie-animation.gif

What is that, mothballs? I guess that would be appropriate. :LOL:

• Like 1

We can only hope.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you mean it like I just virtually slapped you that wasn't my intention at all. I was just clarifying why we were talking about Neil Peart retirement threads.

• Like 2

We can only hope.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but if you mean it like I just virtually slapped you that wasn't my intention at all. I was just clarifying why we were talking about Neil Peart retirement threads.

nooooooo !!

Just a friendly spank

It's all in fun

• Like 1

We can only hope.

nooooooo !!

Just a friendly spank

It's all in fun

Ah, okay. ;)

We can only hope.

nooooooo !!

Just a friendly spank

It's all in fun

Ah, okay. ;)

So I have to assume you were just looking for somewhere to post that gif and this thread fit the bill? ;)

• Like 1

We can only hope.

nooooooo !!

Just a friendly spank

It's all in fun

Ah, okay. ;)

So I have to assume you were just looking for somewhere to post that gif and this thread fit the bill? ;)

lol

no, it was specially sought out just for Egg

• Like 2