R40 Performances Better Than The Official Release

malnar

You might find better performances, but you'll never find better quality audio, which is the main reason I find most boots unlistenable.

I agree about the boots. I know lots of folks love them but I have never heard even one that I could make it all the way through to be honest. I judge everything against ATWAS unfortunately and nothing ever has ever done it for me like it does.... :codger: :sigh:

I agree 100%.

Though there are quite a few overdubs and corrections on ATWAS it is awesome depiction of the band during that era.

I wish we'd have got a Hemispheres era official release...

Well, there are some great-sounding boots from that era...

I thought he sounded awful at Philly even though the quality of the boot is outstanding.

Tulsa is good. The only drawback (in my opinion) is that it was the first show and Alex especially is kind of tight concentrating on his playing more than being his usual self on stage.

I haven't seen the official dvd yet, but I wouldn't let flaws bother me. They add charm to the show, in my opinion.

Sure some flaws can be charming, but in this case, Geddy's vocal struggles and Alex's 'new parts' make the official release a tough listen for me. The general energy level seems low compared to other shows on the tour. Stoked that they really killed it on other nights though!

Bummed out? Tough listen? I'm bummed out you and others are such a tough audience.

Not at all really, just a little shocked by such hard critics on this site. They didn't film and release their best performance on R40. Aw shit, I didn't notice!! I forgot to scour you tube for a better performance, goddam it. What's wrong with me??

Nothing. Same with the complainers with nothing good to say. Yup, nothing wrong with y'all either. Keep up the good bitching. Y'all help keep this site alive. :LOL:

I bummed-out that you think I have nothing good to say. The band played great on a number of nights on this tour. The officially released Toronto show just wasn't one of them. I'm glad you and others are enjoying it. I'm totally rocking-out to the LA Forum show, and I'm about to check out the other shows recommended on this thread.

I think what people fail to realize is that it's not complaining for the sake of complaining but because it's so heartbreaking to hear the flubs, the bad vocals, the sound issues, or the video issues on live recordings. It's hard to hear/see the slide happening. It's sad.

What's sad for me is that the official live releases from the last few tours have been captured on off nights for the band. I wish they would've sprung for recording audio/video from more nights over the course of the tour. Odds are, they have board recordings archived from every night. I'm hoping we'll see more professionally mixed shows from various tours released in the future. In the meantime, there's plenty of great-sounding boots floating around out there...

On the LA periscope thread, I think I remember someone saying they saw film equipment there. So, who knows what may be released sometime in the future?

You might find better performances, but you'll never find better quality audio, which is the main reason I find most boots unlistenable.

I agree about the boots. I know lots of folks love them but I have never heard even one that I could make it all the way through to be honest. I judge everything against ATWAS unfortunately and nothing ever has ever done it for me like it does.... :codger: :sigh:

I agree 100%.

Though there are quite a few overdubs and corrections on ATWAS it is awesome depiction of the band during that era.

Well, there are some great-sounding boots from that era...

You've got that right. For that time, they are excellent.

I thought he sounded awful at Philly even though the quality of the boot is outstanding.

Tulsa is good. The only drawback (in my opinion) is that it was the first show and Alex especially is kind of tight concentrating on his playing more than being his usual self on stage.

I haven't seen the official dvd yet, but I wouldn't let flaws bother me. They add charm to the show, in my opinion.

Sure some flaws can be charming, but in this case, Geddy's vocal struggles and Alex's 'new parts' make the official release a tough listen for me. The general energy level seems low compared to other shows on the tour. Stoked that they really killed it on other nights though!

Bummed out? Tough listen? I'm bummed out you and others are such a tough audience.

Not at all really, just a little shocked by such hard critics on this site. They didn't film and release their best performance on R40. Aw shit, I didn't notice!! I forgot to scour you tube for a better performance, goddam it. What's wrong with me??

Nothing. Same with the complainers with nothing good to say. Yup, nothing wrong with y'all either. Keep up the good bitching. Y'all help keep this site alive. :LOL:

I bummed-out that you think I have nothing good to say. The band played great on a number of nights on this tour. The officially released Toronto show just wasn't one of them. I'm glad you and others are enjoying it. I'm totally rocking-out to the LA Forum show, and I'm about to check out the other shows recommended on this thread.

Sorry, I meant it as "nothing good to say about R40 Live". I guess I thought that was implied enough. :)

Neil sounds great on R40 Live. I guess I thought that was implied enough. ;)

Haha, no, not complaining about Neil doesn't imply you thought he sounded great. You literally said nothing good about R40 in your thread until now. Sorry I had to force that compliment out of you. Your thread is now stained. ;)

I think what people fail to realize is that it's not complaining for the sake of complaining but because it's so heartbreaking to hear the flubs, the bad vocals, the sound issues, or the video issues on live recordings. It's hard to hear/see the slide happening. It's sad.

What's sad for me is that the official live releases from the last few tours have been captured on off nights for the band. I wish they would've sprung for recording audio/video from more nights over the course of the tour. Odds are, they have board recordings archived from every night. I'm hoping we'll see more professionally mixed shows from various tours released in the future. In the meantime, there's plenty of great-sounding boots floating around out there...

On the LA periscope thread, I think I remember someone saying they saw film equipment there. So, who knows what may be released sometime in the future?

I didn't see any film equipment and I was pretty close to the stage. It was a killer show that's for sure.

• Like 1

I didn't see any film equipment and I was pretty close to the stage. It was a killer show that's for sure.

There goes that theory then.

All I have from that show is the end of it. Whoever filmed it was in the second row. It's very good. They played their hearts out.

I thought someone said one of the songs was recorded there. The Dinklage Losing It maybe?

Sorry, I meant it as "nothing good to say about R40 Live". I guess I thought that was implied enough. :)

Haha, no, not complaining about Neil doesn't imply you thought he sounded great. You literally said nothing good about R40 in your thread until now. Sorry I had to force that compliment out of you. Your thread is now stained. ;)

Huh? Did you mean to say that I literally said nothing good about R40 "LIVE" in my thread until now?

Edited by malnar

I thought someone said one of the songs was recorded there. The Dinklage Losing It maybe?

I'll go back and read the thread. It will keep me out of trouble. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Huh? Did you mean to say that I literally said nothing good about R40 "LIVE" in my thread until now?

Damn, I noticed I had left out "Live" after posting. I was afraid might easily confuse you and it did, so again, my apologies

Back on topic!

I'm disappointed with the choice of show too.

The band, Geddy's voice in particular, really got into it's groove later on.

Xanadu from Las Vegas is an example. He managed to pull off all the vocals in the harder parts with NO yodeling!

• Like 2

Damn, I noticed I had left out "Live" after posting. I was afraid might easily confuse you and it did, so again, my apologies

I take it back then. Neil sucked on R40 Live-just not as bad as Alex or Geddy. ;)

Edited by malnar

Back on topic!

I'm disappointed with the choice of show too.

The band, Geddy's voice in particular, really got into it's groove later on.

Xanadu from Las Vegas is an example. He managed to pull off all the vocals in the harder parts with NO yodeling!

Totally agreed. Same with Alex-his playing got so much more confident and on-point later in the tour. I think it took him a while to get his THC intake ratios dialed-in just right.

Edited by malnar

IMO opening night in Tulsa was a little weak while Denver was flawless, I'd love to have the Denver show on Bluray.

THIS X 1000.

Easily the better of the 2 shows I saw. If Clockwork Angels on the CD was taken from this show, that makes sense. That song in particular was a fabulous performance.

I was at both the Denver and Dallas shows and agree they were among the best of the tour. (I recorded parts of both shows and put it on YT.)

Geddy sang particularly well in Denver. Check out Prelude from that night. Xanadu in Dallas also very much kicked ass.

I wouldn't call the official Toronto release bad by any means, but there were better R40 shows for sure. Unfortunately it's too expensive to tour with a full camera crew.

• Like 1

But I watched the Las Vegas and Denver bootlegs and my jaw is on the ground. Ged sounds unbelievable.

I was at the Vegas show and yes Geddy sounded very good indeed :)

Better than Toronto!

I was at both the Denver and Dallas shows and agree they were among the best of the tour. (I recorded parts of both shows and put it on YT.)

Geddy sang particularly well in Denver. Check out Prelude from that night. Xanadu in Dallas also very much kicked ass.

I wouldn't call the official Toronto release bad by any means, but there were better R40 shows for sure. Unfortunately it's too expensive to tour with a full camera crew.

I've probably watched some of your footage from those shows!

According to Geddy, they didn't go back and "fix" anything in the studio on ATWAS, and he was so irked by some of the unfixed bits that ESL was overly corrected and tweaked in the studio, which robbed it of the whole live atmosphere entirely. ESL was essentially a studio album with some live tracks mixed in, whereas ATWAS was really live and without a net. I forget which interview he talked about all this in detail, but that was his description of the difference between those two albums.

According to Geddy, they didn't go back and "fix" anything in the studio on ATWAS, and he was so irked by some of the unfixed bits that ESL was overly corrected and tweaked in the studio, which robbed it of the whole live atmosphere entirely. ESL was essentially a studio album with some live tracks mixed in, whereas ATWAS was really live and without a net. I forget which interview he talked about all this in detail, but that was his description of the difference between those two albums.

He talked about it during his solo appearance on That Metal Show.

Speaking of fixes, I know Alex's solo on RTB got fixed on R40 Live. Anyone notice any other fixes? I'm surprised YYZ was left untouched.