r40 worst live version to point of embarrssing..

nicky6

Hemispheres, I would have to say. Not a bad song, but they sort of just sounded like they were getting tired at that point.

This is not "nit" picking. Geddy's voice is God awful on R40. As some have stated, he should've went into the studio and fixed it like Ozzy did on "Tribute". Such a damn same that they released this as I couldn't make it all the way through. it's just fact. It was time to hang it up.

Thank You very much!!! Goodnight!!!

If Cut To The Chase had been played i would have wonded how Alex was going to pull that guitar solo off more than worrying about Ged's vocals

Just as an aside i did a soo three hour gig just a day ago and my voice completly went half hour in.So.lots of instrumentals and various gizmos to help me out.So i feel for Ged.

I didn't see this mentioned but the 'backing vocals'are most likely a voice harmonizer effect which once activated puts different frequencies and intervals to the original.Its all over modern music these days.Thank god we have people like Pink(not really a fan)and Adele(fan)who refuse/don't use effects live because they want to keep it real and are blessed(in the case of Adele)with a great voice.Ged could have cheated us with a pitch correcter or overdubbed in the studio but he kept it real .I felt How It Is did fall a wee flat but i am happy to have it.

If Cut To The Chase had been played i would have wondered how Alex was going to pull that guitar solo off more than worrying about Ged's vocals

Just as an aside i did a solo three hour gig just a day ago and my voice completly went half hour in.So.lots of instrumentals and various gizmos to help me out.So i feel for Ged.

I didn't see this mentioned but the 'backing vocals'are most likely a voice harmonizer effect which once activated puts different frequencies and intervals to the original.Its all over modern music these days.Thank god we have people like Pink(not really a fan)and Adele(fan)who refuse/don't use effects live because they want to keep it real and are blessed(in the case of Adele)with a great voice.Ged could have cheated us with a pitch correcter or overdubbed in the studio but he kept it real .I felt How It Is did fall a wee flat but i am happy to have it.

Edited by grasbo

Closer To The Heart is one of my all time favorites, and the only one I think Ged really can't do justice anymore, unless he decides to sing it completely different. Good thing the instruments were record perfect and pretty much everyone sings along to that one. Too bad they really couldn't get away with not playing it, would've been very disappointed if they hadn't on R40, considering that will likely go down in history as the one time my dad and I saw Rush live. Concessions must be made I suppose, voices grow old, but songs like that are timeless.
  • Like 1

It's painful for me to listen to any live recording after S&A. His voice just sounds like crap live to me.
  • Like 1

Closer To The Heart is one of my all time favorites, and the only one I think Ged really can't do justice anymore, unless he decides to sing it completely different. Good thing the instruments were record perfect and pretty much everyone sings along to that one. Too bad they really couldn't get away with not playing it, would've been very disappointed if they hadn't on R40, considering that will likely go down in history as the one time my dad and I saw Rush live. Concessions must be made I suppose, voices grow old, but songs like that are timeless.

they can either tune down a step or Geddy can sing it differently

It is a physical fact that our voices get deeper as we grow older. Geddy's voice has so much more tone and depth now even though he cant sing as high as he did in his 20's

It is a physical fact that our voices get deeper as we grow older. Geddy's voice has so much more tone and depth now even though he cant sing as high as he did in his 20's

He can definitely yodel really well.

• Like 1

Call me a late but call me cheap. I bought the R40 CD set used at a local record store. There have been more than one time that your quote was the 1st thought on me brain. Some parts even a bit painful to listen. The musicianship is impeccable but I have to admit if I was going to turn someone one to :rush: (which I still do all the time) this collection would not hit their ears lol. Don't get me wrong I truly respect that they are willing to throw what they are and what that have become out there. With that said if they ever did another show I would I would go without a doubt. Long live :rush:

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

• Like 2

Call me a late but call me cheap. I bought the R40 CD set used at a local record store. There have been more than one time that your quote was the 1st thought on me brain. Some parts even a bit painful to listen. The musicianship is impeccable but I have to admit if I was going to turn someone one to :rush: (which I still do all the time) this collection would not hit their ears lol. Don't get me wrong I truly respect that they are willing to throw what they are and what that have become out there. With that said if they ever did another show I would I would go without a doubt. Long live :rush:

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

I can listen and watch that part between Tom Sawyer through 2112 without cringing too much but the rest of it, forget it.

It sucks because Geddy's voice was SO awesome for so long.

I like his early shrieky stuff all the way through T4E. He just fell way off at the end, the poor guy. If one day I couldn't play bass anymore... well that's got to be one of the worst things ever, to lose a skill like making music or singing at the level you're used to.

• Like 2

Generally doesn't start to get REALLY bad for me until they creep back into the '70s. I know why they did it and I get the concept and it was very ambitious and all of that but as a fan it's tough to watch.

It's not just Geddy attempting to compete with his 20-year-old self, Alex and Neil were suffering too. Of course, when they got close to the point where they hit a certain level consistently it ended.

I pretty much stopped listening to live recordings after the S&A live release. Love Ged, but his voice just can't do it anymore.
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

That's my overall reaction to this thread.

My take: Leave the R40 set lists (all of them) alone. They were, in fact, perfect. Was there a song X, Y, or Z fan could have done without? Yes, of course. Over the course of 40+ years the band has built a variety of fans with a variety of preferences. But there were also plenty of songs that made X, Y, or Z fan grin ear-to-ear. For my money, the band did a remarkable job of A) touching on the vast canon of their career, and B) putting a little something in there for everyone... including themselves. That's hard to do. They could have mailed it in as a "best of" setlist. They could have played Dreamline... again. They could have done a lot, lot worse.

Sure, Ged sounded great on some songs and terrible on others. I saw some back-to-back shows where he was inconsistent on the same songs. But that's life and touring and a life of touring for 4 decades. Indeed, it was painful at moments, but I am just thankful they gave us one more spin.

Agree 100%.

• Like 1

:facepalm:

That's my overall reaction to this thread.

My take: Leave the R40 set lists (all of them) alone. They were, in fact, perfect. Was there a song X, Y, or Z fan could have done without? Yes, of course. Over the course of 40+ years the band has built a variety of fans with a variety of preferences. But there were also plenty of songs that made X, Y, or Z fan grin ear-to-ear. For my money, the band did a remarkable job of A) touching on the vast canon of their career, and B) putting a little something in there for everyone... including themselves. That's hard to do. They could have mailed it in as a "best of" setlist. They could have played Dreamline... again. They could have done a lot, lot worse.

Sure, Ged sounded great on some songs and terrible on others. I saw some back-to-back shows where he was inconsistent on the same songs. But that's life and touring and a life of touring for 4 decades. Indeed, it was painful at moments, but I am just thankful they gave us one more spin.

I agree completely except for the "it was painful at moments" part. It was never painful for me. I loved all of it.

Hemispheres Prelude sounded terrible in the lower key. Since Geddy can't sing it anymore, they shouldve just played it in the regular key up till the vocals kick in and then transition into Cygnus X-1. No fuss no muss.
  • Like 1