Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

Personally I would have no problem with Geddy and Alex performing with another drummer and calling it Rush.

Heck call it whatever they want; just continue writing and touring for as long as they want to.

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point...

AC-DC had three different drummers - Simon Wright, Chris Slade and Phil Rudd, and it was still called AC-DC. And Chris Slade has come back.

I genuinely don't get the point of this post.

First of all, across their long career, AC/DC also has had two different front men and, in their prime, two different bass players. They have now also replaced Malcolm with Stevie. The only original member is Angus.

Second, AC/DC's drummers have never been the primary lyricist for the band.

Third, AC/DC's drummers have never been on par with the reputation of Peart in terms of style and recognition.

Finally, comparing the history of AC/DC's line up to Rush's is like comparing the history of the St. Louis Cardinals to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sure, both are professional sports franchises. Both have been very successful in their sports. Both have rabid fan bases and are highly respected organizations. But one is a football team and the other is a baseball team.

The logic just doesn't equate.

No one goes to an AC/DC concert wondering who the drummer is. That can't be said for Rush.

All *that* said, Ged and Alex can do whatever they want and the bulk of the fans will likely follow. But I don't ever see them recording and/or touring as Rush without Neil. That's not who they are. That's just not their style.

I realize that - it just came to my mind, that's all.

Phil Collins is coming out of retirement-------just sayin

And furthermore, he's going to look like he did when he was drumming for Brand X!

Hmmm..... I think if he tried that he might break a hip at this point.... :P

Rush could tour with Phil and maybe transition YYZ into Groovy kind of love.

Su....Su.....Subdivisions!

• Like 1

There is ZERO chance of Rush continuing without Neil.

Geddy doing a solo record is quite probable.

Yeah, because you talk to them every day, and you are the one they chose to tell their future plans. Yours is an opinion and prediction like the rest of us. No one knows their future plans except for the two of them. That's all we know as being fact.

There is ZERO chance of Rush continuing without Neil.

Geddy doing a solo record is quite probable.

Yeah, because you talk to them every day, and you are the one they chose to tell their future plans. Yours is an opinion and prediction like the rest of us. No one knows their future plans except for the two of them. That's all we know as being fact.

Haha, I definitely know for sure they will not tour as Rush without Neil. It's not an opinion. It's a fact. :)

• Like 1

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

Because Neil never embraced fame and fortune. One of the few rock stars who never set out to be a rock star. He has stated numerous times throughout the years that drumming is his "job". It is work for him much more than it is a passion. With that said I don't believe he is done with Rush. I believe we will see another album and some live performances but without the "touring" schedule. A 10 or 12 date concert schedule spread out over 4 to 6 months that will allow a flight home after each concert so he is only away for a couple of days every other week. I can see this happening once, maybe twice over the next 4 or 5 years but probably nothing beyond that.

There will never be a replacement, period. It was an incredible run and they performed a fulfilling final tour for the fans.

Looking forward to another Geddy solo album/hopefully tour, as well as Alex and Geddy producing new bands moving forward.

All good.

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

There will never be a replacement, period. We need to accept that its over and move on... it was an incredible run and they performed a fulfilling final tour for the fans.

Looking forward to another Geddy solo album/hopefully tour, as well as Alex and Geddy producing new bands moving forward.

All good.

Wrong. Period, wrong. Read the official statement that came out yesterday. Ged and Al have been scrambling all week to back track the news that was apparently taken out of context. According to the statement yesterday, there will be another new album coming soon.

There will never be a replacement, period. We need to accept that its over and move on... it was an incredible run and they performed a fulfilling final tour for the fans.

All good.

Wrong. Period, wrong. Read the official statement that came out yesterday. Ged and Al have been scrambling all week to back track the news that was apparently taken out of context. According to the statement yesterday, there will be another new album coming soon.

We'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

Because Neil never embraced fame and fortune. One of the few rock stars who never set out to be a rock star. He has stated numerous times throughout the years that drumming is his "job". It is work for him much more than it is a passion. With that said I don't believe he is done with Rush. I believe we will see another album and some live performances but without the "touring" schedule. A 10 or 12 date concert schedule spread out over 4 to 6 months that will allow a flight home after each concert so he is only away for a couple of days every other week. I can see this happening once, maybe twice over the next 4 or 5 years but probably nothing beyond that.

If its such a job and not a passion why is he working with teachers like Gruber and Peter freakin Erskine?? By all accounts hes still taking lessons from him.

• Like 1

If its such a job and not a passion why is he working with teachers like Gruber and Peter freakin Erskine?? By all accounts hes still taking lessons from him.

Neil said it himself. Jazz isn't rock. Taking lessons for specific projects is common for lots of musicians. I am not aware of any lessons he has stated he needed to play Rush songs. But hey, I just paraphrased what he has been quoted many times saying during interviews. And anyone who isn't aware of how much he despises fame and being recognized has been living under a rock. He said it best himself' "I just want to be a guy on a bike."

The way I see it give Olivia 3 or 4 years of growing, he will want to show her the world and what a better way to do that then tour with Rush!

We're not finished negotiating my contract yet but I'll let everyone know when it happens....

:P yeah, right... ;) ;) :LOL:

The way I see it give Olivia 3 or 4 years of growing, he will want to show her the world and what a better way to do that then tour with Rush!

If he keeps going on the way he is he won't be in much shape to do any drumming in three or four years.

• Like 2

I haven't read through the entire thread, but in the end, this says it all...6:12 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0D6vaKM1Y

In the context of a grieving drummer who is in too much pain to continue, they knew it would be impossible for them to play as Rush at that time, and they knew it.

But choosing to retire is different. G & A as founding members have the right to continue as Rush. I doubt they want to do that and they know a majority of fans dont want them to call it Rush.

If Neil were convinced he is 100% retired from recording with G & A (if not, then why take ole's $$ with a promise of more studio work) he would have an official announcement through the band management, and what would be very appropriate would be include wishing G & A well in their future music ventures, whatever THEY chose to call it.

I haven't read through the entire thread, but in the end, this says it all...6:12 mark https://www.youtube....h?v=bD0D6vaKM1Y

In the context of a grieving drummer who is in too much pain to continue, they knew it would be impossible for them to play as Rush at that time, and they knew it.

But choosing to retire is different. G & A as founding members have the right to continue as Rush. I doubt they want to do that and they know a majority of fans dont want them to call it Rush.

If Neil were convinced he is 100% retired from recording with G & A (if not, then why take ole's $$ with a promise of more studio work) he would have an official announcement through the band management, and what would be very appropriate would be include wishing G & A well in their future music ventures, whatever THEY chose to call it.

While the quote was in the context of a discussion regarding a grieving friend, it was a still a quote from 2009 or 2010, a good 10 years after they'd begun working together again..... and it sounds VERY much like a statement that he meant as an ongoing point. I agree that G & A can choose to do whatever it is they'd like to but given their friendship with Neil, I just don't see them replacing him while continuing to call themselves Rush. For the record, I personally believe that at a minimum, Neil may record with them again, and who knows, maybe even play some limited live gigs/tours. Frankly, I'm fine with whatever the 3 of them choose to do with their individual or collective musical careers...as long as they don't go out on the road with their chops in substandard form.... which I just can't see them doing.

why would it be a big deal if they continued on as rush with a new drummer? if they can replace him with someone as good or better so be it. now as far as lyrics then yes as I have said before they need neil. not to mention ged and al can be bought. think of the most outrageous dollar amount you can think of and then think of them saying no we are too loyal to "the band" it aint gonna happen. If the money is right they will tour as rush with a new drummer.

why would it be a big deal if they continued on as rush with a new drummer? if they can replace him with someone as good or better so be it. now as far as lyrics then yes as I have said before they need neil. not to mention ged and al can be bought. think of the most outrageous dollar amount you can think of and then think of them saying no we are too loyal to "the band" it aint gonna happen. If the money is right they will tour as rush with a new drummer.

Have you actually been following this band at all?

• Like 4

All three are needed to form the holy trinity that is Rush. Without any one of them, there is no Rush.

9c21dc0c32bceda548348cd3fd488234.jpg

• Like 2