Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

I love Neil and he will be forever THE Rush drummer. But you can't keep a Red Barchetta in the garage.

So... there are at least 10 famous drummers that grew up listening at Rush and feeding at Neil's breast, and they know the whole catalogue by heart.

And there are at least 50 not famous (i.e. from tribute bands) that can plays Rush songs.

Let's the casting begin :)

Personally I would have no problem with Geddy and Alex performing with another drummer and calling it Rush.

Heck call it whatever they want; just continue writing and touring for as long as they want to.

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point...

Yes, this absolutely. If they want to continue, so be it.

Perfect comparison with another classic band with a huge following-

Phil doesn't want to tour anymore (but he is still gonna gig solo) and Jerry is long gone :( but Bob, Mickey (Neils bud) and Bill want to continue.

So they change the name, hire a few new musicians. Book a tour. Sell out arenas. Play the classic tunes. Fans have fun. Band makes money. And none of the ...life can't go on without Neil Peart nonsense.They shouldn't play Rush tunes without Neil nonsense. If ya don't like it don't go. If you do like the tunes that much, then go.

Dead songs get played today without Jerry and Phil. Thats as much a comparison to a Neil omission as there can be in rock. There is a future for Rush songs if G & A want to continue. Silly TRF drama should end but hey, its fun...

Also its a complete f***ing sham that the Grateful Dead decided to close the book on the name the Grateful Dead and play some farewell shows with an incomplete band buffered with special guests, only to go out scant 2 months later with even less proper Dead members with a complete buffoon singing lead playing those songs. Dead and company? WTF???

It was definitely a bit of a shock after fare thee well, but there were rumors Bob was gonna do this at some point.

At least he is upfront as to who is in the band and changed the name. But they sold out three shows at MSG- the fans have spoken.

Rush songs, G n A deserve as much as a ghost of a chance.

But the Dead is going out as a Dead band NOT the "Grateful Dead" ! They never did anything to make it seem like they were the GRATEFUL DEAD....Further...Phil and Phriends...etc. Respect to Jerry, gotta love that!

Back when Skynyrd had their accident, and the rest of the band went out as Rossington Collins, that was the ultimate respect for Ronnie, and only played Free Bird as an instrumental (with a spotlight on a lone mic stand center stage whenever the vocals came in....was really touching to see live!) out of respect....but when they decided to make it a marketing thing and go out with Johnny it turned into a farce! (never saw that...a friend who was a major die hard went and decided that it was pathetic! Called it Skynyrd-lite)

What Styx is doing is pathetic! (since Dennis DeYoung isn't doing it anymore) Foghat has only their drummer..sorry..that's all marketing, no authenticity! Even what's left of Yes isn't cutting it at the moment! (hasn't since Jon Anderson had to stop several years back) Hell Gilmour's version of Pink Floyd was a HUGE slap in the face to the band's heritage! Saw them in 1987 and 1994, and while it was a decent show...it was a Gilmour solo concert with two of the members...I saw Roger Waters a few times, and that was more of a Pink Floyd show!

If Alex and Geddy go out as something else and play Rush tunes...that's not a big deal...but if they get another drummer and call it Rush (which I sincerely doubt they'd do) that would be wrong, and it should be stopped!

• Like 1

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

So you'd rather see them go out making fools of themselves like the Who and the Stones, who sound like dogshit and are just caricatures.

You want to see Barry Sanders walk away as the best, or Payton Manning make a fool of himself?

Why does he have to give up his family to be in Rush? Lots of guys have families and play in working bands. Okay, maybe it was harsh to call him selfish, but he should consider how the others feel and the fans. They are better and more popular than they've ever been. CA is one of their best albums, IMHO. The HOF INDUCTION. Why leave while on top? Makes no sense to me, sorry.

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

So you'd rather see them go out making fools of themselves like the Who and the Stones, who sound like dogshit and are just caricatures.

You want to see Barry Sanders walk away as the best, or Payton Manning make a fool of himself?

I want none of the above. Who said they have to choose from your limited options? I've said it all long, read my posts. If Neil wants to retire so be it. But what if the other two want to continue? What I want is for two of my heroes who have devoted their lives to making music to continue if they wish to. I couldn't agree more. CA is one of their best albums ever. HOF. I've seen more than 20 shows since the time machine tour. They are playing better than ever. Why on earth would he choose to leave now? I would have tried to convince him for one more record and an official worldwide farewell tour done properly. Then they probably would have been content with retiring together. Sorry, he's selfish. And for those of you who disagree with me, I don't care. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Think what you want. I will think what I want. So, what's the name of that band that Mick Jaggar now tours with? Do they have the right to be called the Rolling Stones? When Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony toured with a different drummer last year, what was the name of their band?? Oh yes, it was Black Sabbath. Hmmm.....looks like you need an attitude adjustment.

That's actually a terrible argument because those bands are notorious for lineup changes. Rush has only one album with a different lineup and that one hardly cracks most people's top 15...

Think what you want. I will think what I want. So, what's the name of that band that Mick Jaggar now tours with? Do they have the right to be called the Rolling Stones? When Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony toured with a different drummer last year, what was the name of their band?? Oh yes, it was Black Sabbath. Hmmm.....looks like you need an attitude adjustment.

That's actually a terrible argument because those bands are notorious for lineup changes. Rush has only one album with a different lineup and that one hardly cracks most people's top 15...

They weren't notorious for lineup changes before they made a lineup change. You are an idiot. Rush will soon be known as a band with a lineup change. Stay home with Neil while the rest of us enjoy the show.

They weren't notorious for lineup changes before they made a lineup change. You are an idiot. Rush will soon be known as a band with a lineup change. Stay home with Neil while the rest of us enjoy the show.

Black Sabbath has performed without Bill Ward longer than with him. They replaced Ozzy, Bill, Geezer, they've had a revolving door in that band. The Rolling Stones in their early history had a similar situation with Brian Jones leaving, Wyman being replaced, as well as Mick Taylor. Huge names that were replaced by people that progressed the band's sound in ways that completely revitalized both bands (Some Girls and Heaven & Hell). But unlike them, Rush has been the same 3 people for 41 years, they are known for their consistency and lack of drama. It's far too late in the game to replace Neil. He's become part of the brand, their reputation. Geddy & Alex would never actually play with someone else as Rush.

But I agree with you that they can sub for Neil as a different group. I only disagree when it comes to calling it "Rush." Call me petty, I don't care. I absolutely would see Geddy & Alex without Neil but to call it Rush would be an insult to their legacy and to Neil's immeasurable contribution to the band.

• Like 1

No....Alex and/or Geddy will/might be doing something with a different drummer...it won't be Rush...get over yourself...

No....Alex and/or Geddy will/might be doing something with a different drummer...it won't be Rush...get over yourself...

Get over yourself? What makes you an expert? Did either of them tell you this personally? My guess is no. Therefore you know nothing other than what you've read in interviews. You can get over yourself - you know nothing.

Personally I would have no problem with Geddy and Alex performing with another drummer and calling it Rush.

Heck call it whatever they want; just continue writing and touring for as long as they want to.

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point...

AC-DC had three different drummers - Simon Wright, Chris Slade and Phil Rudd, and it was still called AC-DC. And Chris Slade has come back.

Get over yourself? What makes you an expert? Did either of them tell you this personally? My guess is no. Therefore you know nothing other than what you've read in interviews. You can get over yourself - you know nothing.

You seem to be pretty damn sure of yourself that they're going to turn into the next Dream Theater and just keep plugging away replacing people.... The last time Neil had his "issues" and the band went on hiatus told me enough that they aren't Yes who just keeps replacing people and plugging away not able to tell the players without a damn scorecard!

Most people thought that the band was FINISHED and the other two came out with their solo stuff... I think that if they were going to continue Rush without Neil, it would have happened LONG ago...that's all I need to know in this one!

• Like 1

Neil could still write the lyrics! He could probably drum on any new albums as well, as he'd be able to rest if he needed to.

I would love to see all three of them tour Europe once more, but if it's too much for Neil I'd rather they did the tour with another drummer than not at all. It's not selfish of Neil to say he can't handle touring any longer, as long as he's happy for them to pick someone else.

Phil Collins is coming out of retirement-------just sayin

And furthermore, he's going to look like he did when he was drumming for Brand X!

Hmmm..... I think if he tried that he might break a hip at this point.... :P

Edited by Jaminbenb

I'd call it Rush if I were Ged and Alex. Why give up their empire because one guy wants to quit? Sure it wouldn't be the same to us or them, I'm sure. Still, if I wanted to go on, I'd use the name. Maybe bring in someone who could play the fills on Natural Science correctly. Like me. :outtahere: Edited by Pound of Obscure

And furthermore, he's going to look like he did when he was drumming for Brand X!

Rush could tour with Phil and maybe transition YYZ into Groovy kind of love.

Rush could tour with Phil and maybe transition YYZ into Groovy kind of love.

NGFH. From there it might evolve into You Can't Hurry Love. Nothing worse than a white person covering Motown, IMHO. This from a native Detroiter.

AC-DC had three different drummers - Simon Wright, Chris Slade and Phil Rudd, and it was still called AC-DC. And Chris Slade has come back.

I genuinely don't get the point of this post.

First of all, across their long career, AC/DC also has had two different front men and, in their prime, two different bass players. They have now also replaced Malcolm with Stevie. The only original member is Angus.

Second, AC/DC's drummers have never been the primary lyricist for the band.

Third, AC/DC's drummers have never been on par with the reputation of Peart in terms of style and recognition.

Finally, comparing the history of AC/DC's line up to Rush's is like comparing the history of the St. Louis Cardinals to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sure, both are professional sports franchises. Both have been very successful in their sports. Both have rabid fan bases and are highly respected organizations. But one is a football team and the other is a baseball team.

The logic just doesn't equate.

No one goes to an AC/DC concert wondering who the drummer is. That can't be said for Rush.

All *that* said, Ged and Alex can do whatever they want and the bulk of the fans will likely follow. But I don't ever see them recording and/or touring as Rush without Neil. That's not who they are. That's just not their style.