Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

There's a townhall interview / meeting today with "Rush" - only Geddy and Alex are appearing. Does this mean it's not really Rush if Neil's not there? Looks to me like they are Rush when Neil isn't there!!!

You seem to be unfamiliar with how promotion works.

Oh really? That's funny. If there's no more Rush what are they promoting???? I like how so many people here say they are not Rush without Neil. However, how many times do they appear as Rush without him? He couldn't even be bothered to appear in Hollywood when they got a star. Fans pay him big bucks for meet and greets and he can't even bother to attend. It's always Geddy and Alex only without him. So don't tell me they aren't Rush without him. That's bullshit. And don't reply with your comments about he's shy and uncomfortable - I've heard all the bullshit for decades. They should get a new drummer and continue without him. Period.

There's a townhall interview / meeting today with "Rush" - only Geddy and Alex are appearing. Does this mean it's not really Rush if Neil's not there? Looks to me like they are Rush when Neil isn't there!!!

Oh really? That's funny. If there's no more Rush what are they promoting???? I like how so many people here say they are not Rush without Neil. However, how many times do they appear as Rush without him? He couldn't even be bothered to appear in Hollywood when they got a star. Fans pay him big bucks for meet and greets and he can't even bother to attend. It's always Geddy and Alex only without him. So don't tell me they aren't Rush without him. That's bullshit. And don't reply with your comments about he's shy and uncomfortable - I've heard all the bullshit for decades. They should get a new drummer and continue without him. Period.

You might want to respond below the quote. Makes it easier to see what you've written.

Why all the anger? You really seem to have an attitude about this. Any person affiliated with a project can do the promotion. It doesn't have to be all of them. If a movie comes out they interview the actors, maybe the director. Does that mean any of the rest of the people affiliated with the project aren't really part of it? Neil does interviews in magazines and tv, does that not count?

And who is playing for meet and greets? Where?

• Like 2

You might want to respond below the quote. Makes it easier to see what you've written.

Why all the anger? You really seem to have an attitude about this. Any person affiliated with a project can do the promotion. It doesn't have to be all of them. If a movie comes out they interview the actors, maybe the director. Does that mean any of the rest of the people affiliated with the project aren't really part of it? Neil does interviews in magazines and tv, does that not count?

Game, set and match...
  • Like 1

Or how to find his arse with both hands.

Or how to find his arse with both hands.

No I think he found it.

I hesitate to even enter the fray, as I have no issue either way

But I believe that part of the point Meiko was making is made right there, in the bold:

The fact is that Neil does do TV and magazines, and seems well at ease and comfortable - it is the interaction with the fans that he avoids and to some, has contempt for ..

I don't think that there is any arguing that Neil has an enormous ego - the guy is a classic narcissist .. I happen to love what he did early on and fully realize that it takes a person like that do accomplish what he did ......

You cannot remove the parts and have the same person

But I don't think it is fault or short sighted if someone has a problem with Neil's choice of behavior

Edited by Lucas

But I believe that part of the point Meiko was making is made right there, in the bold:

The fact that Neil does do TV and magazines, and seems well at ease and comfortable - it is the interaction with the fans that he avoids and to some, has contempt for ..

I don't think that there is any arguing that Neil has an enormous ego - the guy is a classic narcissist .. I happen to love what he did early on and fully realize that it takes a person like that do accomplish what he did ......

But I don't think it is fault or short sighted if someone has a problem with Neil's choice of behavior

Except for the idea that he owes us something. That's the problem people seem to have around here.

• Like 2

The fact that Neil does do TV and magazines, and seems well at ease and comfortable - it is the interaction with the fans that he avoids and to some, has contempt for ..

Except for the idea that he owes us something. That's the problem people seem to have around here.

That I agree with

• Like 1

Lemme guess...you've never seen the band live, and it's a bucket list thing for you to see RUSH....

dude...give it up...why does Alex and Geddy in some way shape or form NEED to be Rush in your eyes?

As I said before...the Lifeson-Lee project would be a decent thing if they got the right drummer! (basically anyone but Portnoy) Rush it it's own thing.... get over it already

• Like 2

No, they'd retire before getting a replacement for Neil. Rush isn't Rush without all 3 of the guys.

Implying that Neil is selfish for wanting to retire is foolish. ~50 years being Neil Peart is nothing short of incredibly bodybreaking work. And it's his second chance at a family. Who would give that up?

Not selfish at all, its well deserved retirement, just abrupt. Late Jan announcement of short tour starting in early May....its not our farewell, but oh yeah, wink nod, the drummer dude is done.

Terrible way for Neil to say thanks to the loyal fan base. BTW, by his own words, Neil NEEDED some big money after the hiatus ended in2002, and the only way to do that in this era is TOUR.

Thanks fans!!!

As founding members G & A have every right to continue. I hope it's under a new name, but Rush was theirs before they met Neil.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

it doesn't need to be rush.

just alex and geddy and whoever else playing rush songs, that's all i ask!

Yeah, but why Rush songs? Then it IS Rush no matter what you call it.

I would be ok with Ged and Alex hooking up with another drummer, a rhythm guitar player, and even a new vocalist. Then it could be its own entity and it would be exciting.

• Like 1

Personally I would have no problem with Geddy and Alex performing with another drummer and calling it Rush.

Heck call it whatever they want; just continue writing and touring for as long as they want to.

• Like 2

Personally I would have no problem with Geddy and Alex performing with another drummer and calling it Rush.

Heck call it whatever they want; just continue writing and touring for as long as they want to.

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point... Edited by Narps

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

Yes and they were a two bit bar band from Toronto who couldn't even score a record deal.

They were also, a while later but also pre-Neil, a band that did win a record deal and recorded songs that would be staples of the Rush set for decades to come. They'd be quite justified to tour as Rush if they wanted. I don't care either way myself really.

• Like 1

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point...

Yes, this absolutely. If they want to continue, so be it.

Perfect comparison with another classic band with a huge following-

Phil doesn't want to tour anymore (but he is still gonna gig solo) and Jerry is long gone :( but Bob, Mickey (Neils bud) and Bill want to continue.

So they change the name, hire a few new musicians. Book a tour. Sell out arenas. Play the classic tunes. Fans have fun. Band makes money. And none of the ...life can't go on without Neil Peart nonsense.They shouldn't play Rush tunes without Neil nonsense. If ya don't like it don't go. If you do like the tunes that much, then go.

Dead songs get played today without Jerry and Phil. Thats as much a comparison to a Neil omission as there can be in rock. There is a future for Rush songs if G & A want to continue. Silly TRF drama should end but hey, its fun...

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Agree totally. It wouldn't be a new concept at all and not even for them technically. Couldn't care less at this point...

Phil doesn't want to tour anymore (but he is still gonna gig solo) and Jerry is long gone :( but Bob, Mickey (Neils bud) and Bill want to continue.

So they change the name, hire a few new musicians. Book a tour. Sell out arenas. Play the classic tunes. Fans have fun. Band makes money. And none of the ...life can't go on without Neil Peart nonsense.They shouldn't play Rush tunes without Neil nonsense. If ya don't like it don't go. If you do like the tunes that much, then go.

Dead songs get played today without Jerry and Phil. Thats as much a comparison to a Neil omission as there can be in rock. There is a future for Rush songs if G & A want to continue. Silly TRF drama should end but hey, its fun...

Heres the main differnece I see. Jerry Garcia died.

Phil's still alive. So if Neil were to drop, heavens forbid, it would be OK for G n A to continue, but since he is retiring its not ok? Lots of rules in Rush world.

Neil is choosing to end his career. Let those that want to continue, if they want to continue, those who founded the band, let the music live on.

• Like 1

Phil's still alive. So if Neil were to drop, heavens forbid, it would be OK for G n A to continue, but since he is retiring its not ok? Lots of rules in Rush world.

Neil is choosing to end his career. Let those that want to continue, if they want to continue, those who founded the band, let the music live on.

I see no evidence that Neil is choosing to end his career.

Yes they said they are slowing down and its obvious Neil is reluctant to go on tour. I'm not one of those people who believes the end can be assessed as being the end, because what is the end really...

• Like 1

Also its a complete f***ing sham that the Grateful Dead decided to close the book on the name the Grateful Dead and play some farewell shows with an incomplete band buffered with special guests, only to go out scant 2 months later with even less proper Dead members with a complete buffoon singing lead playing those songs. Dead and company? WTF???