Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

Believe me. I see both sides and can justify both. Back to my main point, it sucks that they want to continue but instead, they're stuck in purgatory. Neil may not owe the fans anything, but you'd think he'd care enough about those 2 guys to do it one more time....for them.

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

I would go see them play with another drummer and I wouldn't care what they called themselves. Rush, Rash, R 40 something. I wouldn't care. To old for sentimentality at this point and I don't begrudge Neil his retirement either. He has earned it and then some. I just want to be entertained or not PERIOD. Just make a decision at some point and get on with it "While we're young" (Rodney D). Just my take and probably not a popular one either... :codger:

Oh, I wouldn't have a problem with Geddy and Alex doing something together, including live performances. I'd take offense to them calling it Rush, but any musical output from these boys (as long as it isn't like Presto) I'll happily give a shot, especially if it's done live.

As if that period has nearly as much significance as FBN-present, or even the debut with Rutsey. I'd consider that an extremely dumb excuse to continue as "Rush" without Neil.

From what I've read, Neil was done after Clockwork Angels. I think he was asked by the guys to " do it more time...for them". He did care enough about them to do it again. I respect that. He has to be wondering....At what point is enough, enough? I think the physical demands are greater on Neil than on the other guys, and that has to be taken into account. I've also read lots of posts and comments online that Neil appeared to be struggling to catch his breath on many nights. I say the man deserves my thanks for making my life so much better, and that he's earned his wish to retire.

It's like they said in that recent interview about his hands after the shows during this tour being covered with all the calluses and sores. That's got to be painful as heck.

Getting winded I understand. Back or neck pain I understand. I don't understand why callouses or sores on hands would be any worse this tour than any other since they started an evening with rush.

I think their point was that it's a lot harder on him physically than it is on them during a show.

Then I assume it's always been that way. I just don't see what has changed.

Getting old is what has changed. For one thing when you get older your skin gets thinner and you lose muscle tone. This is the first time I've ever noticed while watching the Blu-ray of this last tour was how old Neil's arms look. He looks like he's lost quite a bit of muscle tone.

I'm nearly the same age or I wouldn't have posted what I did. Im not looking for an argument. Muscle tone doesn't affect the skin on hands. I can't speak to loose skin on hands either but I doubt it. As I originally said, I understand the ravages of old age which is why I would understand what is common. It's the reason Phil Collins took so much time off.

You didn't quite understand what I was saying. Not saying they're the same thing, but both things happen as you get older. I'm not talking about loose skin, but thin skin. Makes you more prone to calluses and sore spots than when you're younger.

didn't read the whole thread but at this point I'm fine with geddy and alex touring with a new drummer under a different name. don't call it rush but f**k it, "lee, lifeson and ___" or something like that, and tour as much as they like. or better yet, alex can get a new drummer and new bassist/vocalist and just play stuff from 74-81. I don't care anymore

as far as portnoy, I'm not exactly a mike portnoy fan but hell, he's dedicated his whole life to sounding like neil peart! he's been in 50 goddamn rush tribute bands, he's earned it. other good replacements would be meg white, lars ulrich...
  • Like 1

No. Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well. Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.

It's a bitch finding a rhyme for nihilistic. Almost as difficult as finding a rhyme for Orange

as far as portnoy, I'm not exactly a mike portnoy fan but hell, he's dedicated his whole life to sounding like neil peart! he's been in 50 goddamn rush tribute bands, he's earned it. other good replacements would be meg white, lars ulrich...

Wait whaaaa???

and Twisted Fahking Sister

Did everyone watch the new video of Ged and Al with Rolling Stone? This time they were more forthcoming with the truth about what's going on. Clearly, they want to record and tour. Clearly, Neil is resistant and possibly ready to retire. So, I dare ask the question and let the daggers fly.

Any chance they would continue with a new drummer? If they want to continue, why let one person sink the ship? You could see in the interview how frustrated Geddy is with Neil. Surely there's lots of banter behind the scenes, or complete radio silence.

I'll say this, they gave up their careers for Neil and waited 4 years for him to grieve, and that was the right thing to do. The least he could do in return would be to give them another record and a proper farewell tour. I'd venture to say he's selfish and doesn't care how they feel or what they want, or the fans.

After 40 years of playing he owes no one anything. If he wants to retire he should. The fans? The fans got his best for 40 years! 3 hour shows!

Are you trolling, bro?

• Like 4

Think what you want. If you think it's over, you can stay home when we all attend the next tour that may or may not include Neil on the throne.

Please stop....it's over...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jaminbenb/Rush1%20copy_zps6qgt1skk.jpg

Think what you want. If you think it's over, you can stay home when we all attend the next tour that may or may not include Neil on the throne.

If Neil isn't playing it ISN'T RUSH! If Geddy isn't playing it ISN'T RUSH, if Alex isn't playing IT ISN'T RUSH! What don't you get?

Rush is the three guys that have been Rush for the past 41 years...if one, or two of the band decides to go out on tour it WILL NOT BE RUSH! It will be the Alex Lifeson Band, or the Geddy Lee Band! BUT IT WILL NOT BE RUSH!!

If the three guys decide that they want to have another go at it, then it WILL BE RUSH....but at the moment for all intents and purposes, the band as a physical playing entity is NO MORE!

• Like 1

Think what you want. I will think what I want. So, what's the name of that band that Mick Jaggar now tours with? Do they have the right to be called the Rolling Stones? When Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony toured with a different drummer last year, what was the name of their band?? Oh yes, it was Black Sabbath. Hmmm.....looks like you need an attitude adjustment.

If Neil isn't playing it ISN'T RUSH! If Geddy isn't playing it ISN'T RUSH, if Alex isn't playing IT ISN'T RUSH! What don't you get?

Rush is the three guys that have been Rush for the past 41 years...if one, or two of the band decides to go out on tour it WILL NOT BE RUSH! It will be the Alex Lifeson Band, or the Geddy Lee Band! BUT IT WILL NOT BE RUSH!!

If the three guys decide that they want to have another go at it, then it WILL BE RUSH....but at the moment for all intents and purposes, the band as a physical playing entity is NO MORE!

Think what you want. I will think what I want. So, what's the name of that band that Mick Jaggar now tours with? Do they have the right to be called the Rolling Stones? When Ozzy, Geezer, and Tony toured with a different drummer last year, what was the name of their band?? Oh yes, it was Black Sabbath. Hmmm.....looks like you need an attitude adjustment.

What about Yes? Don't forget Yes! They've been touring as that band with 99 different guys over the years....

Sorry dude.... Alex and Geddy with Mike Portnoy will not be RUSH! Alex and Neil with John Myung will NOT BE RUSH! Geddy and Neil with Joe Satriani will NOT BE RUSH! I don't need an attitude adjustment, you need a reality check! This is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SITUATION! IT WILL NOT BE RUSH WITHOUT ALL THREE GUYS IN THE BAND!

• Like 1

Ok, if you want to believe you are right, than God bless. Have a nice day and thanksgiving feeling you are right and we're all wrong.

What about Yes? Don't forget Yes! They've been touring as that band with 99 different guys over the years....

Sorry dude.... Alex and Geddy with Mike Portnoy will not be RUSH! Alex and Neil with John Myung will NOT BE RUSH! Geddy and Neil with Joe Satriani will NOT BE RUSH! I don't need an attitude adjustment, you need a reality check! This is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SITUATION! IT WILL NOT BE RUSH WITHOUT ALL THREE GUYS IN THE BAND!

Whatever. You can have a nice day and Thanksgiving knowing you are right and the rest of us are wrong. Ged and Al can do what they want without needing permission from you. If they want to tour with another drummer and call it Rush, stay home in protest because it's not Rush and we'll all have a great time without you.

Whatever. You can have a nice day and Thanksgiving knowing you are right and the rest of us are wrong. Ged and Al can do what they want without needing permission from you. If they want to tour with another drummer and call it Rush, stay home in protest because it's not Rush and we'll all have a great time without you.

Dude...what don't you get... they WILL NOT CALL IT RUSH! I'm not saying that they'll never tour together, or never do solo stuff..but they will not call it Rush! You're delusional if you think they will!

Rush is THREE PEOPLE and THREE PEOPLE alone! If Rutsey were still alive, then MAYBE they'd call it Rush...but Alex, Geddy and another drummer will not be Rush! It will be under a different name!

• Like 1

"I don't think Neil has to consider a damn bit how the fans feel. He's got every right to quit if he wants, and spend all of his time with his family. He doesn't owe anybody anything. "

This exactly !

• Like 4

I'm inclined to agree with Jaminbenb, if they tour without Neil they're going to be a completely new band.

The Lifeson-Lee Experience!

This is wrong- we all know they will be in a 5 piece called ELLPL

EMERSON, LEE, LAKE, PALMER, AND LIFESON

Edited by Disembodied Spirit
  • Like 2

I'm inclined to agree with Jaminbenb, if they tour without Neil they're going to be a completely new band.

The Lifeson-Lee Experience!

This is wrong- we all know they will be in a 5 piece called ELLPL

EMERSON, LEE, LAKE, PALMER, AND LIFESON

Now THAT would be interesting!

• Like 1