Neil's Replacement

Mieko8

Weren't they called Rush long before they ever met Neil? ������������

That's a terrible argument. You know damn well that without Neil, they would never be the band as you know them now. They'd never have reached the heights they did with him

Edited by Union 5-3992

I don't think Mike Portnoy(as great as he is)would be an adequate replacement for Neil. Then again I don't think anyone would be.

Keep that egotistical jackass away from Rush...he's a good drummer but his personality alone should bar him from sharing the stage with the other two.

I met him briefly once but I honestly don't know much about his personality. He seemed nice to me but I don't think he's as laid back as Geddy and Alex and he probably doesn't have their off the wall sense of humor either.

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth. They have the right to continue without him if they choose to do so. They'd be just as great. What they did with Neil is out there and can't be undone. They can certainly continue the march forward if they were so inclined. Is there anyone here who goes to all the shows that would stop going if it was a different drummer? I'd still go to the show. I'd be sad Neil's not there but oh well. Better than forced retirement if they still want to play.

That's a terrible argument. You know damn well that without Neil, they would never be the band as you know them now. They'd never have reached the heights they did with him

I didn't say that. Don't put words in my mouth. They have the right to continue without him if they choose to do so. They'd be just as great. What they did with Neil is out there and can't be undone. They can certainly continue the march forward if they were so inclined. Is there anyone here who goes to all the shows that would stop going if it was a different drummer? I'd still go to the show. I'd be sad Neil's not there but oh well. Better than forced retirement if they still want to play.

I think you're underrating Neil's position in the band. They need him to be Rush. Without him, it would never be the same. I'd probably not see them if they continued to be called Rush.

I love Neil but.............Ponder this:

Lou Gramm has been OUT of Foreigner LONGER than he was IN Foreigner.

Steve Perry has been OUT of Journey LONGER than he was IN Journey.

And they were the SINGERS.

Both bands very successful touring with new singers for 10-20 years....BTW feel free to put an APB out for Dennis DeYoung while you are at it....Styx is doing just fine without him

If you think a drummer, cannot be replaced, you are highly mistaken. I personally don't think it would happen,

but nothing, NOTHING shocks me in rock and roll

• Like 2

I'll preface this by saying that I love Neil, and completely respect his feelings and decision if he feels that he would like to step away .. As I said before, he has been an integral part of some of my all-time favorite music ..

With that said, whether the band records only, records and tours with him or records and tours without him, none of that will be "the same" ... Each album and each tour should be different, and step in a new direction - that is what we have all come to love and expect from RUSH, going all the way back to the way each album starting with The Debut was a piece of progress ..

At this point, I would never go see them live again WITH Neil - he has made it clear that touring and playing live is not something he enjoys - emotionally or physically ..

The comfortable shoe is no longer interesting with Rush ... It is like a husband and wife staying together simply to get thru the holidays even though one ( or both ) no longer wants to be there .

As I suspected, I am not in the minority. I could sense this watching Geddy and Alex talk about it. They are not done. They want to move forward. They have more music within them to share. They are moving ahead with or without Neil. That said, I think when Neil realizes it, he will reluctantly limp to the finishline with them, rather than watch them do it with someone else.

Both Geddy and Alex have said that Rush is probably not done. But if Neil does not wanna join, then at least Alex have said he will make another solo album. I think that is enough.
  • Like 1

No. Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well. Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.

I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.

Better than the lyrics Neil shoe horned into Geddys mouth on Clockwork Angels.

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 3

Having not seen the Rush 40 Tour since i'm in the U.K., I would welcome the idea of being able to see 2/3 of the group if it means touring without Neil. Obviously, I'd rather have Neil there, it goes without saying, but it's very very unlikely to happen at this point. However, from the various interviews Geddy and Alex have done recently, it's blatantly obvious they wanted to extend the R40 tour to the U.K. and Europe, and are probably slightly frustrated that Neil put the kibosh on that desire. They also made it clear that they are keen to get back into writing again.

If it means seeing Geddy and Alex with another drummer then I'd absolutely take it; it's the only option I have right now for seeing Rush (or as near to Rush as one can get at this point) ever again. Would they consider it? I have no idea.

• Like 1

Alex and Ged can carry on with a new band. Let's face it, the lyrics/vocals have been awkward and mis timed/crammed for the last three albums so they won't miss Neil as a lyricist. As for Neil's drumming? Well, he's been shortcutting that as well so I don't see any harm in exploring other creative options...
  • Like 1

I could sense this watching Geddy and Alex talk about it. They are not done. They want to move forward. They have more music within them to share.

In that rolling stone interview it's clear that Ged & Al want to, and are going to, write new material in some way shape or form...either as solo material or some type of band formation. And their frustration, or resignation, that Neil is done at least with touring, is palpable.

This is heresy to be sure (and I think Peart would appreciate that): there are plenty of capable drummers out there that could create new and interesting music with Ged & Al. Would it be Rush? No.

Neil wrote on Hemispheres (I'm paraphrasing) that we can journey on a path together as long as our goals are the same. Perhaps their goals are no longer the same. Nothing lasts forever and none of them are getting younger. Best to move forward and make hay while you can.

Either way I'll listen to whatever they put out. But it's obvious to me that there is serious internal conflict about their musical futures as a trio.

• Like 2

It could never be Rush without Ged or Al, but I do believe they could still be Rush with another drummer. They did it once already, they could do it again. How many people have gone in and out of the Stones, and the Who? Page and Plant have worked together without Bonham. Geddy and Al should move on with someone else if they still want to play IMHO.

Heck, I haven't considered it Rush since Rutsey left the band.
  • Like 1

As for Neil's drumming? Well, he's been shortcutting that as well...

Settle down, that's a bit much.

Exactly. That's taking the nitpicking to an extreme.

• Like 1

No. Don't forget that they need a lyricist as well. Unless you want geddy to return to writing lyrics telling women what time it is and that he fancies some sex.

I assume Geddy wrote the lyrics for his My favourite headache album and they are not too bad.

The other option would be for Alex, Geddy and Neil to record studio album(s) and have another drummer tour it.

• Like 1

The other option would be for Alex, Geddy and Neil to record studio album(s) and have another drummer tour it.

Yeah, I could totally see that. Win, win for all.