Official NBA Thread

goose

Down the stretch, refs choose not to call denying the landing spot a foul? M'kay.

Per the rule book: "Defenders may not move into the landing area of an airborne shooter. On this play, the defender continues moving forward and he walks under the shooter, affecting his ability to safely return to the floor. This is a defensive foul as the airborne shooter must be allowed to return to the floor safely."

GS wins.

And Auburn moves on to the national championship game.

Oh, wait...

Down the stretch, refs choose not to call denying the landing spot a foul? M'kay.

Per the rule book: "Defenders may not move into the landing area of an airborne shooter. On this play, the defender continues moving forward and he walks under the shooter, affecting his ability to safely return to the floor. This is a defensive foul as the airborne shooter must be allowed to return to the floor safely."

GS wins.

And Auburn moves on to the national championship game.

Oh, wait...

:LOL:
  • Like 1

Raptors keep it up tonight! Kawhi is a monster! And Siakim is pretty good himself.

Sixers get the win down the stretch. Edited by goose

Raptors keep it up tonight! Kawhi is a monster! And Siakim is pretty good himself.

Sixers get the win down the stretch.

WTF are you talking about, goose? The Sixers weren't in the playoffs for the 2016-2017 season.

Try to stay on topic, please.

:P

Well, you got your wish. Tonight was retro-Night in the Eastern conference playoffs. Boston sucked.

Why the midrange game has disappeared...another game where optimal strategy leads to a loss in game aesthetics.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mapping-shots-in-the-nba-changed-it-forever/?ex_cid=538twitter&fbclid=IwAR2Hon24URv0s3DTi_YiYZ2C9rFW_F9SMj--fQniMdpp6lBuSCswC-CSRwk

It's been making a bit of a comeback (by the likes of Kevin Durant), since it's virtually undefended now.

Not that that adds much to the aesthetic of the game.

• Like 1

Why the midrange game has disappeared...another game where optimal strategy leads to a loss in game aesthetics.

https://fivethirtyei...6lBuSCswC-CSRwk

It's been making a bit of a comeback (by the likes of Kevin Durant), since it's virtually undefended now.

That's really the true lesson of Moneyball and its successors, to be able to discover flaws in conventional wisdom and exploit it. The problem is that as conventional wisdom comes closer to optimal strategy this will become more and more difficult.

https://fivethirtyei...6lBuSCswC-CSRwk

That's really the true lesson of Moneyball and its successors, to be able to discover flaws in conventional wisdom and exploit it. The problem is that as conventional wisdom comes closer to optimal strategy this will become more and more difficult.

And play becomes more and more homogenous.
  • Like 1

I think we're probably going to be stuck with what we've got for a while, though.

A while back I described the Warriors as becoming the most unlikeable team in the NBA. Here's an article summing up how they are perceived by some. It follows game 2 of the Warriors-Rockets series, in which James Harden was (accidentally) raked across the eyes by Draymond Green.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2019/5/3/18528112/golden-state-warriors-think-james-harden-houston-rockets-is-faking-injury

There are some players in that (Warriors) locker room that are not buying the whole James Harden eye being extremely hurt thing. They were talking about some of the shots he was shooting during the game then when he goes to the free throw line and squinting like he can’t see.

I can’t say I’m really surprised. This is the same classless band of hypocrites that features a coach well known for his crying about the officials who then turns around and criticizes the Rockets for being miffed at three obvious missed fouls on Klay Thompson in Game 1.

Their star point guard throws his disgusting, germ-ridden mouthpiece around the court like an 8-year-old anytime something happens he doesn’t like, while also partnering with the team’s other guard to visibly show up the officials (without penalty, I might add) when their wittle "feefees" got hurt one of the few times they weren’t the beneficiaries of the now league-office-confirmed lopsided calls.

They also make fun of Harden for drawing fouls, when their star player’s signature move — the rip through — is specifically designed only to get to the free throw line and not to actually score a bucket.

They also employ a power forward known for punching dudes in bars and kicking other players in the nuts and used to employ a center who’s only real claim to fame was injuring other players by intentionally stepping into their landing space.

Now claiming that Harden is faking when there’s obvious visual evidence to the contrary takes their insufferable douchebaggery to another level. Yes, Warriors, I’m sure Harden and the Rockets concocted some elaborate ruse that featured fake blood, a bunk cornea test, and their best player and reigning MVP sitting out 25 percent of a key playoff game just to... I’m not really sure. Glad to see the Dubs have officially stooped down to the level of the worst rejects on social media.

Houston survives and defeats the Warriors in OT, getting their first win of the series. Winning 3 of the remaining 4 is a tall order, though.

I hate when they take a long commercial break before a free throw. Unfair to the shooter.

I

Stupid political correctness; first it ruins horse racing, then the NBA.

It's too bad for me that I've never followed the NBA. I should be hootin' and hollerin' about the Bucks. :oops: