R40 Blu-ray/Album Impressions

puffyshirt

What You're Doing/Working Man melted my face off. Cygnus and 2112 also had a similar effect. Geddy sounded better on 2112 than he has in a bit. Hemispheres seems to be among his better performance too.

I agree about geddy sounding better on 2112 than he has. Xanadu as well.

Lakeside park was rough though...

What You're Doing/Working Man melted my face off. Cygnus and 2112 also had a similar effect. Geddy sounded better on 2112 than he has in a bit. Hemispheres seems to be among his better performance too.

There were times in 2112 that he sounded like his old self.

That's more of a song where you just appreciate the effort

• Like 5

That's more of a song where you just appreciate the effort

Lol, legit point.

One thing about Rush is the always put forth their best. Of all the bands I've seen multiple times, they by far were most consistent in working hard for a quality show. Always long sets with maximum effort and skill. Not every band can say this ...

For that alone i thank them again. It has always made them a must see show to me. Even when times were tight .

• Like 1

I had friends over to watch this thing last night. Few glasses of wine and a joint.

Overall impression: - this video... this tour... goes without saying, that it was a GIFT. Neil went above and beyond to play through his various issues (chronic tendonitis I believe), Alex battles psoriasis and sore joints all the time, and Ged - who we've all slagged from about 2007 to 2012-13 as being shsaky vocally - Whatever diet he's on (avoiding dairy, red meat, and alcohol among others) is really working for him, as he actually sounds very good.

Geeky analysis: David Bottril did an admirable job mixing. My few critisisms are that I find it a little too "subsonic" heavy. Ged's busy basslines don't suit that very deep range. the drums could be alot louder, but thats been a frequent problem on every release since around R30. Alex's sound is all over the place, sometimes good sometimes bad (the verses in Camera Eye are CRINGE-inducing... that "piezo" pickup sound... other than that it ranges from tolerable to great).

As far as mixes go, I noticed on the Blu-Ray its slightly better, especially if one uses "DTS" setting. And I agree the iTunes version is slightly lacking compared to the Blu-Ray audio. **AND YES, ITS NOT THE BITRATE DIFFERENCE, ITS THE ACTUAL MIX THAT MATTERS**.

At the end of the day, Rush gave us their all for this tour, and I'm so glad we experienced it, and we have a good representation of the fantastic tour that this was :)

Edited by maxdistortion
  • Like 3

Yeesh, Alex really flubs his solo in YYZ.

LOVE Hemispheres here. So good.

He flubs the solo but it doesn't sound bad. At least he didn't hit any bad notes. He just rearranged it. :)

The same can be said about Red Barchetta. Talk about some interesting shred improv during the first half of the solo! :LOL:

Alex is the only one who's flubbing on this release but they're not total trainwrecks. Audible flubbing but still none of it led to a total trainwreck. :)

Yeesh, Alex really flubs his solo in YYZ.

LOVE Hemispheres here. So good.

He flubs the solo but it doesn't sound bad. At least he didn't hit any bad notes. He just rearranged it. :)

The same can be said about Red Barchetta. Talk about some interesting shred improv during the first half of the solo! :LOL:

Alex is the only one who's flubbing on this release but they're not total trainwrecks. Audible flubbing but still none of it led to a total trainwreck. :)

I doubt seriously they would've released a train wreck on an official release if it had happened. :)

Jacob's Ladder in full HD with this great sound mix is bloody brilliant. Maybe the best single piece of film from any of Rush's official releases. And still the show stopper of this tour for me, although Xanadu is mighty pretty too.

I'm more of a video guy than audio when it comes to live recordings, the CDs won't get near as much play as the blu-ray.

I like how they released a show that's a hybrid of the B/C rotation. It's actually the only night they played that particular set. Nice mix of tunes with some alternates that we don't have too many versions of already. I don't miss CA, OLV or DEW one bit. I only wish they could've included Camera Eye in that second set, but it's still plenty epic without it.

Edited by TexMike

Jacob's Ladder in full HD with this great sound mix is bloody brilliant. Maybe the best single piece of film from any of Rush's official releases. And still the show stopper of this tour for me, although Xanadu is mighty pretty too.

I'm more of a video guy than audio, so the CDs won't get near as much play as the blu-ray.

I like how they released a show that's a hybrid of the B/C rotation. It's actually the only night they played that particular set. Nice mix of tunes with some alternates that we don't have too many versions of already. I don't miss CA, OLV or DEW one bit. I only wish they could've included Camera Eye in that second set, but it's still plenty epic without it.

Jacob's Ladder was even more amazing because of the outstanding light show. It elevated a great song even more. This release didn't even show it to its full awesomeness.

Edited by EagleMoon

One thing I can say for sure after seeing most of the DVD is that the performance of the Hemispheres Prelude is f***ing bad ass.
  • Like 1

I'm more of a video guy than audio, so the CDs won't get near as much play as the blu-ray.

Jacob's Ladder was even more amazing because of the outstanding light show. It elevated a great song even more. This release didn't even show it to its full awesomeness.

Well, no doubt that it's not like seeing it in person. But I thought they did a nice job on it, featuring quite a few wide shots of that beautiful lighting. Could've been done more like "Carnies" last time, which they ruined with overediting.

• Like 1

My biggest issue with the BluRay is not with the performance or mix. Its the actual quality of my copy--glitchy in a few places. Audio is not affected, just the video. And luckily it only occurs in three or four spots for less than 2 seconds each time. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good representation of a typical show, but I was a bit put off by Geddy's performance in some spots, which sounded way better in NJ and NYC (a little later in the tour). Too much yodeling for me on this one. Those complaining about Red Barchetta should listen to that bass solo at the end--that alone is worth double the price of the disc. He's still the king daddy-o of bass.

Oh and I never got to hear losing it with mink until now--I can't say which violinist I like better now that Ive heard it. They both sounded amazing. I didn't get the CD, though, so I'm going strictly off my memory of MSG, where I paid very close attention. In NJ I was too busy being freaked out.

Geddy's vocals make this almost impossible to listen to. Neil's drums especially in the 2nd half sound like boxes of mud. One Little Victory sounds better than before because he is using a Fender Stratocaster.

I saw many better shows this tour than Toronto where Geddy was in top form. This show has bad editing, bad camera angles, and needed some desperate clean up work in the audio department. Geddy should never have allowed this thing out without redoing the vocals in the studio.

Geddy's vocals make this almost impossible to listen to. Neil's drums especially in the 2nd half sound like boxes of mud. One Little Victory sounds better than before because he is using a Fender Stratocaster.

I saw many better shows this tour than Toronto where Geddy was in top form. This show has bad editing, bad camera angles, and needed some desperate clean up work in the audio department. Geddy should never have allowed this thing out without redoing the vocals in the studio.

I respectfully disagree about redoing the vocals in a studio. I want to hear and see what i saw. Just my thoughts

• Like 1

And still a 1000 times better than Time Machine.

• Like 2