Anyone get R40 yet? if so how is it???

nicky6

i just got it.....and i just watched the 2nd set on. which is i think the way i'll always watch it. as set 1 is a bore. Well losing it onward i should say.

set 2 on is a GREAT DVD

Mick

Losing It onward is where the magic happens. I enjoy both sets, but set 2 is really something special.

Mink's losing It solo gives me chills.

Mick

They really nailed Losing It. Really loving this DVD.

• Like 1

i just got it.....and i just watched the 2nd set on. which is i think the way i'll always watch it. as set 1 is a bore. Well losing it onward i should say.

set 2 on is a GREAT DVD

Mick

There are quite a few I think I will skip from the first half as well. I do like the performances of The Main Monkey Bidness, How it Is, Between the Wheels and on from there. Too bad you can't program your own set list on these things.

• Like 1

Too bad also that they couldn't have had the feature that was on Rio, which was the multi-angle versions of a few tunes - it would have been nice for Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1 and Prelude.
  • Like 3

Too bad also that they couldn't have had the feature that was on Rio, which was the multi-angle versions of a few tunes - it would have been nice for Jacob's Ladder, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1 and Prelude.

One thing that really got me annoyed.

I wasn't interested in the guys on stage moving the stuff. At one point, I forget if it was the Hemi Prelude or Cygnus X-1, I wanted to be able to watch Alex play it. What did they show? The men moving things.

• Like 1

I wasn't interested in the guys on stage moving the stuff. At one point, I forget if it was the Hemi Prelude or Cygnus X-1, I wanted to be able to watch Alex play it. What did they show? The men moving things.

It makes you wonder if they grasp one essential truth about a lot of Rush fans: we want to SEE the performance if we can. A lot of us aren't there to dance (not that it's possible), to watch colorful lights, to be entertained by cartoons or spectacles. We want to see Lifeson's fingers tearing up the fretboard and that look of intensity on his face; we want to see the blur of drumsticks as Peart makes that half-circle journey around the toms.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

It makes you wonder if they grasp one essential truth about a lot of Rush fans: we want to SEE the performance if we can. A lot of us aren't there to dance (not that it's possible), to watch colorful lights, to be entertained by cartoons or spectacles. We want to see Lifeson's fingers tearing up the fretboard and that look of intensity on his face; we want to see the blur of drumsticks as Peart makes that half-circle journey around the toms.

Apparently they don't grasp that fact. I would love it if just once that would have the screen divided into three so I could watch, at different times, each one during a song.

I'm not interested in the audience. And not the men moving things around. I want to watch Alex, Geddy and Neil play. So many times, not being a musician, I am unsure exactly who is doing what (except if the bass is obvious - sometimes I think it's Alex and it winds up being Geddy playing) and I count on the videos to tell me who is doing what and when. I got so mad with the R40 Live - I forget which song it was - maybe Cygnus or the Hemi Prelude - I wanted to watch Alex to see how he was playing those notes that I was hearing, and what did the camera do? Switch to the guys moving things at that point in the song. :( :eh: :wtf: :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I received the blu-ray for Christmas and have watched it a couple of times so far. I really enjoy it. It's very good. First time I watched it I skipped Set 1 and got directly to the 2nd set. I have watched the first set once, but I will probably stick to the 2nd set and encore when watching the movie.
  • Like 1

Best Buy finally has up on website the ability to buy and store pick up. The one with the flashlight and it is on sale!!!!

I'm gonna pick up the CD/BluRay at Best Buy today and hopefully the mix on the CDs don't suffer the same problem.

Just got home from Best Buy...the flashlight is totally amazing...glad I went out the first day!

Hey I just picked mine up at Best Buy. . .

I got mine from Best Buy in Highland Indiana this morning! Bluray with the flashlight( odd souviner)!

I just went over there and bought mine. The little flashlight is cool. No real extras on the blu-Ray which sucks.

I asked for the Best Buy version for Christmas, because I wanted the flashlight. It's really cool, but does everybody else's project the Starman backwards? If they're all that way, because they were cheaply made in China, then I wasn't going to worry about it. I think I remember somebody else saying that, but I wasn't sure which thread. But, if it's just a few that are wrong, I'd like to return mine for a proper one.

Best Buy finally has up on website the ability to buy and store pick up. The one with the flashlight and it is on sale!!!!

I'm gonna pick up the CD/BluRay at Best Buy today and hopefully the mix on the CDs don't suffer the same problem.

Just got home from Best Buy...the flashlight is totally amazing...glad I went out the first day!

I got mine from Best Buy in Highland Indiana this morning! Bluray with the flashlight( odd souviner)!

I just went over there and bought mine. The little flashlight is cool. No real extras on the blu-Ray which sucks.

I asked for the Best Buy version for Christmas, because I wanted the flashlight. It's really cool, but does everybody else's project the Starman backwards? If they're all that way, because they were cheaply made in China, then I wasn't going to worry about it. I think I remember somebody else saying that, but I wasn't sure which thread. But, if it's just a few that are wrong, I'd like to return mine for a proper one.

They're all that way.

A great performance.

Video superb, nicely shot, nice pace (not jumping quickly from one to another)

Audio, everything sounds clear (guitar, bass, keys, vocals, drums (kick, snare, most toms and cymbals (Especially Neil's Ride cymbal and high hat - Superb), occasionally Neil's mid range toms and some of the crash cymbals getting buried in the mix a bit.

Highlights for me so far are...

. Headlong Flight, Main Monkey Business... (on both these Alex is just on fire, brilliant).

. How it is... comes across superb live, there's a lot of stuff going on in that song and the boys play it really well, some lovely changes from verse to chorus and coming out of the instrumental part. A real highlight for me, it really comes alive in this concert setting.

. Losing it... is superb, love the feel of Ben Mink's solo. (Really funny when Geddy introduces Ben and says "he's kindly agreed to humiliate himself tonight")...

. Jacob's Ladder, Hemispheres Prelude, Cyngus X-1, Xanadu... Stunning.

. Also great to have Presentation in as part of 2112, really enjoyed that.

The CD bonus tracks...

. The Wreckers (love the guitar tone and style Alex is playing on this),

. The Camera Eye (really love this version)

. Jonathan Dinklage's solo on Losing it (different to Ben's, enjoying it just as much)

These would be my personal highlights so far from the CD extras.

Great stuff...

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

They're all that way.

Ah, well off to find a mirror, then . . .

• Like 1

Finally got ahold of a copy. I bought the basic dvd package as I figured I would transfer the audio if I liked it, or buy the cd's at a later time. I like the set list (both set 1 and 2), and the audio mix is probably some of the best they have done. Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be and the film shows.

I think I like Clockwork Angels Live better but I'm slightly biased being that I attended a show on that tour. I don't even know what I'm trying to say here. Maybe it needs to grow on me.

• Like 2

Audio, everything sounds clear (guitar, bass, keys, vocals, drums (kick, snare, most toms and cymbals (Especially Neil's Ride cymbal and high hat - Superb), occasionally Neil's mid range toms and some of the crash cymbals getting buried in the mix a bit.

His ride and hi-hat? They are completely inaudible most of the time. Once in a while I hear them and wonder who turned that mic on by accident. His snare is heard kind of, sometimes. It certainly never cuts through, with only a few exceptions. He is cracking on it pretty good in the latter half of JL, but listen to the snare work at the beginning. Is he even playing?
  • Like 1

I received the blu-ray for Christmas and have watched it a couple of times so far. I really enjoy it. It's very good. First time I watched it I skipped Set 1 and got directly to the 2nd set. I have watched the first set once, but I will probably stick to the 2nd set and encore when watching the movie.

i will watch from Losing it on. everything beffore just dragged. it was awful.

Mick

• Like 1

His ride and hi-hat? They are completely inaudible most of the time. Once in a while I hear them and wonder who turned that mic on by accident. His snare is heard kind of, sometimes. It certainly never cuts through, with only a few exceptions. He is cracking on it pretty good in the latter half of JL, but listen to the snare work at the beginning. Is he even playing?

The crash cymbal in the quiet section in the middle is almost inaudible as well.

• Like 1

I loved the CD/DVD no complaints here! :) :rush:

This is how I feel, too. I just got it last week; watched the DVD one time all the way through, and loved it. Haven't listened to the CDs yet, though.

I don't think it was really necessary for Alex to say, "f**k you, puppet", but it did kind of make me laugh a little bit. :LOL:

• Like 2

This is how I feel, too. I just got it last week; watched the DVD one time all the way through, and loved it. Haven't listened to the CDs yet, though.

I don't think it was really necessary for Alex to say, "f**k you, puppet", but it did kind of make me laugh a little bit. :LOL:

The words "F.U. puppet" are always necessary. :LOL:

I agree. I stop the dvd right before it gets to that. Totally unnecessary, and seemingly out of character for Alex, or any of them.

• Like 1

The crash cymbal in the quiet section in the middle is almost inaudible as well.

Yeah, the chinas on the 7/8 section when they come back in. You know the ones on beat 1-6-7-1. Can't hear them at all.

• Like 1

I agree. I stop the dvd right before it gets to that. Totally unnecessary, and seemingly out of character for Alex, or any of them.

Yep.

I have to wonder when his grandchildren will see it. (I don't know how old they are, honestly- maybe they're beyond an impressionable age, as far as language is concerned. But it's not something I'd have done, if I were in Alex's shoes).

• Like 2

Yep.

I have to wonder when his grandchildren will see it. (I don't know how old they are, honestly- maybe they're beyond an impressionable age, as far as language is concerned. But it's not something I'd have done, if I were in Alex's shoes).

They all curse a lot, not that out of character, though it is off to see in a show that's usually a bit more family friendly (though they did have monkeys humping in TMMB

• Like 1