Anyone get R40 yet? if so how is it???

nicky6

Hi! I'm new to this message board, but by no means new to Rush. I discovered this board over the weekend, when another board I've been on for years was down with technical errors. Could not post until my account here was approved this morning.

I have a question. Are there any "easter eggs" on this DVD, like they've done on older live concert releases? I was sure there would be things hidden in the main screen, but could not get my remote to make anything special happen.

Has anyone else noticed that if you put the DVD in the player and just let it sit on the main screen for a while, the circle with the R40 in it gradually changes every few minutes.

First, it changes to a circle with an old picture of the guys and says Our 40.

Then, it changes to a circle with a clock ticking and says Hour 40.

Then, it eventually changes to a circle with a live video of Geddy's little Terriers and says ARF 40.

Then, the final image is Geddy as a pirate and he says AAARRRGGG 40.

Has anyone else seen this? I was sure there would be something hidden behind one of these, but moved my remote around and got nothing.

Hi! I'm new to this message board, but by no means new to Rush. I discovered this board over the weekend, when another board I've been on for years was down with technical errors. Could not post until my account here was approved this morning.

I have a question. Are there any "easter eggs" on this DVD, like they've done on older live concert releases? I was sure there would be things hidden in the main screen, but could not get my remote to make anything special happen.

Has anyone else noticed that if you put the DVD in the player and just let it sit on the main screen for a while, the circle with the R40 in it gradually changes every few minutes.

Then, it eventually changes to a circle with a live video of Geddy's little Terriers and says ARF 40.

Has anyone else seen this? I was sure there would be something hidden behind one of these, but moved my remote around and got nothing.

I noticed that the other day when I had it pulled up and was making lunch. It's kind of what it did during the intermission. It's too bad there aren't any extras on the dIsc. Those are always the one of the best parts.

I requested this as a Christmas present from my wife. I always piss her off when I just go buy something for myself around my Birthday and Xmas. I don't really get it...I'm saving her the time and the bother.

geddy,s brother Allan did a great job of producing this-------well done.

I have yet to listen to the CDs but the Blu-ray sounds good.

geddy,s brother Allan did a great job of producing this-------well done.

I have yet to listen to the CDs but the Blu-ray sounds good.

I just checked out the cd,s and they sound very good, i am very pleased with the whole package.
  • Like 1

I listened to the CDs first then the bluray. I was pleasantly surprised with both. The cymbals on the first kit can get a little lost but that's on the recording end.

I listened to the cds on my way to return the package due to the blu ray issues. I like that they left the "train wreck"moments in there. Just curious, out of those who noted problems,did anyobe have issues trying to return them? Best buy wanted to issue a gift card but I threatened to dispute it with my cc company and he eventually issued the refund.

It's a great live souvenir. Again probably the best live Blue Ray they have released IMO. Many factors contribute to that. First and foremost is the audio quality and mix. It sounds great. It really does. Great separation of all the instruments., It does not sound brickwalled, Alex's effects and different tones really cut through for the first time, Geddy's bass is the best it has sounded on a live recording since Exit Stage Left and it's not even close. Neil's drums as a whole sound really nice. I felt they sounded great on Snakes And Arrows live too. I am just glad he went back to basics on this tour with a condensed kit and using real cow bells and his bells behind him. Vocally it is about as good as you can expect from Geddy at this stage. It's the best he has sounded on a live recording since R30.

The Set-list is also so freaking good. It is a real treat from Animate on. Obviouisly I love the CA material but we just had that fill on the previous tour.

One thing I am puzzled with is if they recorded 2 nights in Toronto, why would they leave that horrendous opening chord flub on Far Cry when they had two nights of that tune (unless of course Alex did it on both nights). It is really painful and I have to just skip that tune. In fact when listening to the CD (now 3 times straight through) I have only two skip songs, Far Cry being one and How It Is being the other.

Losing It (both versions) is a joy live. It really goes to show how great Signals was as an album. That song was powerful and they played it with unbridled passion.

Bonus tracks - I think Clockwork Angels is not nearly as good as the performance/recording on the last tour. I also think The Wreckers is not nearly as good either. In fact Alex's guitar during the main verses is weak compared to the last tour. The Camera Eye is fat. I like it. Vocally not the greatest but musically it is hot. Red Barchetta other than the break down coming out of the solo (can't stand that decision never have, never will it brings the song to a grinding halt) sounds solid. Distant Early Warning is glorious. OLV is a song I am not a huge fan of.

So are there any signature live recordings here? You know....other than Losing It I am not sure. But the sum of the parts is what makes the whole work so well. The energy, the passion and the fact that this is probably it for the band as a live touring act make this a must have for any true Rush fan.

8/10

Edited by Todem
  • Like 2

One thing I am puzzled with is if they recorded 2 nights in Toronto, why would they leave that horrendous opening chord flub on Far Cry when they had two nights of that tune (unless of course Alex did it on both nights). It is really painful and I have to just skip that tune. In fact when listening to the CD (now 3 times straight through) I have only two skip songs, Far Cry being one and How It Is being the other.

I saw a YouTube video of Far Cry from the first night and he didn't flub opening chord there either. It's strange that there's a few moments where they overdubbed the flubs (the solo in Roll The Bones cause Alex flubbed it both nights) but for the most part the performances were left as it. I guess whomever whether the band, David Bottrill or some other person handling the final touches on the audio decided to not overdub/use the first night's performance in case of flubs, it just seems a bit lazy on their end to not fix it up every flub instead of just a select few.

But whatever, at the end of the day, I prefer an excellent mix over an flawless performance. This could've been a flawless performance, but if had the production of CA Tour, I probably wouldn't listen/watch the whole thing more than once.

Edited by PolarizeMe

When I listen to OLV on the blu-ray through headphones, it sounds very studio enhanced. Like another layer of Geddy vocal was added. Have not listened to CD version to compare.

Your picking up the taped background vocals that are triggered during the show.

Anyone know if there's a UK release date for this, region 2? Looked on Amazon UK, no region details.

Both the Time Machine and Clockwork Angels DVDs were in Region 0, rather than Region 2, so I imagine it will be the same for this.

As yet, the release date is still 4th of December...fingers crossed it doesn't get pushed back any further

Anyone know if there's a UK release date for this, region 2? Looked on Amazon UK, no region details.

Both the Time Machine and Clockwork Angels DVDs were in Region 0, rather than Region 2, so I imagine it will be the same for this.

As yet, the release date is still 4th of December...fingers crossed it doesn't get pushed back any further

I daren't make an order for it in case it turns out to be region 1.

When I listen to OLV on the blu-ray through headphones, it sounds very studio enhanced. Like another layer of Geddy vocal was added. Have not listened to CD version to compare.

Your picking up the taped background vocals that are triggered during the show.

Yup. Vapor Trails is probably still their album that requires most background samples to be triggered. There are just endless layers of music on that album.

opening chord flub on Far Cry when they had two nights of that tune (unless of course Alex did it on both nights)

my impression was that it was intentional... I've seen him bend things many times and it struck me as another example of that

opening chord flub on Far Cry when they had two nights of that tune (unless of course Alex did it on both nights)

my impression was that it was intentional... I've seen him bend things many times and it struck me as another example of that

Trust me it wasn't intentional. He didn't do it other nights.

Trust me it wasn't intentional. He didn't do it other nights.

Plus, it sounds objectively terrible.
  • Like 2

hi! Welcome!

Hello, and welcome!

They stopped putting easter eggs on the DVDs a few years ago. They became moot when people started watching them on computers, where you can look at each file on the DVD and there are no surprises.

That's cool that they put that animation on the main screen though. That was fun!

Welcome to TRF! :hi: