Anyone get R40 yet? if so how is it???

nicky6

I bought it yesterday. It sounds great. But don't go by me. I think all the live albums sound good until I read other people's negative comments, than I can't NOT hear the flaws.

Are you talking about the CD or the DVD? Just curious as I value your opinion...

Welcome back Narp.

CD. I don't buy DVDs to be honest. I'd never sit down and watch them.

Thanks friend. Good to be back. I have spread the word that the old man wants R40 for Christmas. I can wait that long and I will know every nook and cranny of the thing by the time I get it from being around here. I have requested the CD and Blu Ray as I would prefer to watch it to be honest. I also need something to play the Blu Ray on but I may have to get that myself. I am a bit behind the times when it comes to tech. I haven't even owned a gaming system since Atari :LOL: .... :)

Same here... CD and Blu Ray set request for Xmas... really looking forward to it. Great stuff..

• Like 1

I went into Best Buy to see if they had put it on the shelf early but no such luck.

Did they say they would have it tomorrow?

they have it now. You probably already know

There will probably be a Rush shirt in the offing for Christmas as well. Seems to be a tradition in my senior years since my kids became adults. You can never go wrong with the old man opening a package with Rush gear in it... :dweez:

As long as it's not anything from R40. Some pretty poorly designed t-shirts for that tour.

The Farewell to Kings shirt was nice in the front, but he blue in the back wasn't very aesthetically pleasing

I like the R40 Shirts. They're great

Glad you do. I'm just not a fan. The CA's t shirts were so well designed and there's so much they could have done with the R40 ones. Shame because it was a lost opportunity.

Hey I just picked mine up at Best Buy, and found out that I made the packaging! The inside photo was taken at LA, and you can see me (or, at least, my orange baseball cap) next to my friend Christine (blue shirt) in the lower right hand side of the picture. Nice of them to personalize my R40 experience. What a souvenir!

Cool stuff. I found myself in one semi-closeup during 2112 and a number of wide crowd shots, so I'm extremely happy about that too. Feels great to make it into a release for one of your favorite bands :)

:cheers: I haven't seen the dvd yet - still eagerly awaiting the European release - but I've been told I'm also in there :banana: :cheerleader:

cool for you both! :sundog:

I went into Best Buy to see if they had put it on the shelf early but no such luck.

Did they say they would have it tomorrow?

they have it now. You probably already know

No. I didn't call and they never answered my email.

Maybe I'll call later. I don't think anyone out here is beating down their doors to buy it. I may be the only Rush fan in the area.

It's a waste of time to try to call. At least it was here because they say on the recording that they don't check merchandise when you call.

• Like 1

For the first time in 30 years, I've decided not to get a Rush item on release day. All so the kiddies could get Daddy something for Christmas.

I thought about that, but will probably just get socks,..

That's all I get anymore. I used to get undies too before I gave them up years ago... ;)

Ugh Narps, bells longer than the rope? No photos, please. :LOL:

ewwww :scared:

Grey you're not right! (Said lovingly )

So you've checked out Narps' package? :LOL:

• Like 1

For the first time in 30 years, I've decided not to get a Rush item on release day. All so the kiddies could get Daddy something for Christmas.

That's all I get anymore. I used to get undies too before I gave them up years ago... ;)

:blush: In my dreams my friend. A bit elderly for this young lady I do believe even if it were possible... Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

I enjoy it, but Geddy's voice is strained for the first several tunes and he's louder than he needs to be.

Watching the bluray right now for the first time. Easily the best sounding of all of their live releases except maybe ESL. That's saying something. Even the CDs sound great. Dave Botrill is awesome! He fixed VT and now this! Plus the video editing so far is quite tasteful, not quite so frantic as the last couple. Nicely done. Very happy with this one. If this is the last one we get its a good one to go out on. :)
  • Like 6

Watching the bluray right now for the first time. Easily the best sounding of all of their live releases except maybe ESL. That's saying something. Even the CDs sound great. Dave Botrill is awesome! He fixed VT and now this! Plus the video editing so far is quite tasteful, not quite so frantic as the last couple. Nicely done. Very happy with this one. If this is the last one we get its a good one to go out on. :)

I appreciate your opinion. Given your background I hold it in pretty high regard. Just from what I've seen so far I'm really looking forward to the video. Excellent camera work.

• Like 1

I also really love that the bass is much more upfront than on previous albums.

Everything is more up front and well defined. The last few have been thin and mushy with too much crowd in the satellites. This one has a good mix top to bottom. The drums are solid, not hollow. Bass and snare drums are punchy and clear. The guitar has nice space when Al's FX are very Al. The bass is also very solid, defined and punchy. The variety of tones of the basses especially comes through very nicely. All the tones really. There's good depth, things don't step on each other. Things aren't EQ'd to death to compensate for hearing damage. It has a more natural sound overall.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2
  • Like 5

Had disc three in my car on my way over, and listened to Camera Eye... I think it sounds great actually....not sure what isn't liked?!?!

I'm the one that didn't like it. Hopefully I'm in the minority. I'm listening via Apple Music. The verses just don't sound right to me. It sounds like Alex is playing on an acoustic, and Geddy's voice just sounds too rough (as it has for the past few live albums) for me. Overall it sounds too sparse. I'm glad you enjoy. Hopefully most others will as well.

Oddly...I'm losing drums in Losing It....but it was a quick listen... Hoping to give it a better critical listen this week... getting it on Friday, and needing to run out of town for the weekend (with my wife, who isn't much of a fan) didn't give me the time I wanted to spend with it..... I just loaded the three CD's into my car and I'm hoping to give it some good time this week (my iPod won't give my the sound that I want, but it will at least let me hear it)

I think Thursday afternoon, while she donates her time at work serving T-giving dinner to patients, will give me the time I need to watch and listen to the Blu-Ray... (not an NFL fan, college only) so I'll pour a nice glass or Shiraz, and get that baby set up on my big screen!

Havn't got it yet due to living in Outer Pomgolia and to be precise living another ocean away from the big island but i love what I am seeing and hearing on You tube and Spotify.I love how the camera work editing focuses on a scene longer rather than chopping all over the place.The sound is crystal clear not muddy.I watched Xanadu and i felt like I was being transported back to the good old days of yore circa1980 except for the thinning hair and wrinkles.Losing It has always been a fave both lyrically and musically and both versions are superb.I notice there's a thread on How It Is and yes it does fall a shade flat but I am not complaining.Glad to have it.Ged's voice is much better than the last two dvd.In fact its brilliant on a lot of sons.Alex's solo on Between the Wheels is the best.I could go on.Can't wait till I get the dvd and crank it
  • Like 2

After 2 full viewings of the Blue Ray and two full front to back listens of the 3 CD set it is a triumph sonic wise. I have not heard the band sound this warm on a live release since Different Stages (which had the luxury of choosing from dozens of performances from the CP and T4E tours).

The Blue Ray footage was shot well for the most part. Crowd was pretty tame though....that's for sure. Nothing will ever top the energy of Rush In Rio (even though the audio was below the high standards they previously have set).

The lack of any extras (besides the bonus tracks) kinda is a bummer given this may very well be the last official live release from the band.

But overall I would rank this in the top 3 for me sonically. Some stand out performances in the set were:

Between The Wheels

Xanadu

Natural Science

Jacobs Ladder

Tom Sawyer

The Spirit Of Radio

Cygnus X-1

What Your Doing

Subdivisions

Losing It

The Anarchist

The Main Monkey Business

Roll The Bones

Edited by Todem

I also really love that the bass is much more upfront than on previous albums.

Everything is more up front and well defined. The last few have been thin and mushy with too much crowd in the satellites. This one has a good mix top to bottom. The drums are solid, not hollow. Bass and snare drums are punchy and clear. The guitar has nice space when Al's FX are very Al. The bass is also very solid, defined and punchy. The variety of tones of the basses especially comes through very nicely. All the tones really. There's good depth, things don't step on each other. Things aren't EQ'd to death to compensate for hearing damage. It has a more natural sound overall.

So you actually like Rush? Awesome. Beginning to wonder

I got it on release day. It is so beautiful. Definitely worth more than $20. Trust me, it's as good if not better than Time Machine

The vocals and mix are far better than the last 2 live albums, and the setlist is better than any for a long time.

:facepalm:

:blush: In my dreams my friend. A bit elderly for this young lady I do believe even if it were possible...

You guys! :tsk: