CP R.I.P.

edhunter

Was fantastic fun when Ken and Julie ran it. Never understood the "biker bar" thing. We're Rush fans, that's like being the one kid in the A.V. club that got a detention once, such badasses...haha..been a ghost town lately though.

At one time I knew the reason, but why did Ken & Julie hand over the CEO reins? Just weary of the headache?

It was my home on the Internet for around 12 years. I posted there multiple times a day pretty much every day of the week during that period. I loved that place.
  • Like 5

Was fantastic fun when Ken and Julie ran it. Never understood the "biker bar" thing. We're Rush fans, that's like being the one kid in the A.V. club that got a detention once, such badasses...haha..been a ghost town lately though.

At one time I knew the reason, but why did Ken & Julie hand over the CEO reins? Just weary of the headache?

Ken could neither afford it nor had the time or the drive to do it any more. The site used to be hosted for free by a guy called SUndie and once this relationship ceased it was no longer viable. Julie probably got tired of the site because she necessarily had to interact with Ken despite them no longer being together.

They all did a good job under often thankless circumstances.

Julie's partner posts here occasionally and he's a top bloke, maybe he could enlighten us?

• Like 2

The pathological feud with Rudy from Tri-Net was an absolute disgrace. A plague on both their houses.

If you knew the full backstory of the underhanded things Rudy did to CP, you might have some empathy for the site.

I did say "a plague on BOTH their houses."

Rudy was a total dooshbag, but the very public war with him was shameful. CP basically stooped to his level. They should have taken the high road and kept the site about Rush.....and not about him.

Why do you keep on with this "what I think is what I know" schtick you apply to everything? How often do you need to be hopelessly wrong or shamelessly short-sighted before you get it?

If you think CP's battle with Rudy was shameful and are in full possession of the facts you are a disgrace. Trying so hard to be even-handed and a good old boy all the time just makes you more of a douche not less.

• Like 3

After reading this thread, I feel like I need to go check it out.

You would've loved it in its heyday. Right up your alley.

Talking about being "up your alley"- does Jer not know anything about this?

• Like 1

CP is the local pub

comfortable, no holds barred conversation - conversation that can lead to fights, sure, but one more round of Guinness and everyone remains friends

yes the decor is dated, lights are a little too low, and if anyone new comes through the front door they're welcomed/hazed with equal gusto - but if they grab a stool and order a Highland Park neat anyway, they're mates for life

TRF is the hotel bar

and while the staff take themeselves too seriously and need a drink more than the patrons, no one is so uptight that you can't round table a spirited night of fun once in a while, especially upstairs in the corner rooms

it's the kind of place that used to be the place to be on a Saturday night, but now it's the place for people who just think it's the place to be on a Saturday night

• Like 7

CP has not been shut down, from what I understand. Just some glitch with the hosting company. It'll probably be back up sometime today.

Ah, I should read the whole thread before asking questions that have already been answered.

It was my home on the Internet for around 12 years. I posted there multiple times a day pretty much every day of the week during that period. I loved that place.

Then you just had to come here and ruin the place. :rage:

• Like 3

About CP being down?

What makes you say that? (not sure if that was an insult ;) )

About CP being down?

About CP being down?

Both. I don't want him to be jealous of Tex.

• Like 1

What makes you say that? (not sure if that was an insult ;) )

During the golden years, it was a great place to be. Your humor and point of view would have fit right in. The things that TRFers tend to hate about it is what made it so appealing, imo.

• Like 6

About CP being down?

About CP being down?

Both. I don't want him to be jealous of Tex.

Sorry...my sense of humor is still waking up!

• Like 1

I joined CP in 2002, right after I moved back to Connecticut from Hell. There were a lot of great personalities, some of which are still there. Only 3 of the Brit trolls are still there. I think NickSlick was here for a while. I've had flame wars with folks there that I get along greatly with now. Again, you just needed a little thicker skin.
  • Like 3

I like them both (*but note: the bathrooms at TRF are WAY cleaner)

And any brown smudge on any part of the facilities is fresh chocolate cupcake mix! All dirt is totally edible.

I joined CP in 2002, right after I moved back to Connecticut from Hell. There were a lot of great personalities, some of which are still there. Only 3 of the Brit trolls are still there. I think NickSlick was here for a while. I've had flame wars with folks there that I get along greatly with now. Again, you just needed a little thicker skin.

Were you ATW from the beginning or did you have a different user name? I seem to remember already being there when you showed up, but I don't remember being there as early as 2002.

It's a wonderful place! You just need a thick skin and to not be a slobbering fanboy.

I got half of that covered... :)
  • Like 2

Were you ATW from the beginning or did you have a different user name? I seem to remember already being there when you showed up, but I don't remember being there as early as 2002.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if I started with ATW. I remember threads about Rush's first show at Mohegan Sun, because I was blown away that they were playing my little backwoods hometown.

I may have actually started out there as edhunter. But because of the crashes, there's no way to know for sure.

• Like 1

CP is a great place to hang out, they just run it different than we do here at TRF. I have made a few real life friends from there, went to my first meet up hosted by Ken and Julie before TRF existed. I even hosted one of their BARF parties at my house. They are a blast to party with..
  • Like 2