R40 - XANADUUUUU

puffyshirt

Being my favorite Rush song i can only imagine what it look like on this perfect lighting setting during the R40 tour. Don't want to spoil anything yet until Friday night on a big screen and surround sound. Edited by rugen

Oh my Jesuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus effing keeeeeriste! I just lost my sh**… and I’m not even kidding. All down my leg, RIGHT THROUGH my socks, busted a hole in one of my slippers, along the floor and then out the kitchen door. The neighbour slipped in it as she walked to her car. Which is great, because I don’t like her very much anyway.

That performance of Xanada is, for anyone too young to remember the 70s, perfect.

Hey, Tomorrow, get here fast… only one more sleep!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 2

You guys astound me sometimes.

Thought it was bad, eh?

I thought the vocals were rough. Alex was great, though.

I had to stop after the intro verse.

How much everyone likes it, or ???? Not quite sure what you meant. The change in Geddy's vocals since the original is more than made up for by getting to see close up all the work on the double necks, pedals, and Neil's percussion work.

Not so much for me.

I'm surprised they didn't cut out that squeaky funky note Alex hits right after the intro. They cleaned up pretty much everything else.
  • Like 1

How much everyone likes it, or ???? Not quite sure what you meant. The change in Geddy's vocals since the original is more than made up for by getting to see close up all the work on the double necks, pedals, and Neil's percussion work.

Not so much for me.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! Here is a different one for you, from the Exit Stage Left tour- I just hate that red and blue lighting, I can't see a thing when that is on! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ker-C8FE2c

I'm surprised they didn't cut out that squeaky funky note Alex hits right after the intro.

You talking about the last note he hit during the looping 7 pattern, right before he drops down to the sustained A power chord?

Not so much for me.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! Here is a different one for you, from the Exit Stage Left tour- I just hate that red and blue lighting, I can't see a thing when that is on! :)

Alex's playing is sooooo much better in that video.

Not so much for me.

Alex's playing is sooooo much better in that video.

Umm, when I pulled it up to post it for you, I did notice that his playing in the earlier is somewhat better . . . I still can't see it very well with those red and blue lights . . . that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! ;)

Edited by blueschica

Thought it was bad, eh?

this schtick is getting old.

Thought it was bad, eh?

this schtick is getting old.

Naw. Me participating in discussions never gets old.

Edited by JARG

Not so much for me.

This version of Xanadu is the epic version of an epic song. :) I love how at the end, Alex is putting all he has into playing those last chords.

There's nothing like being young.

• Like 2

Not so much for me.

This version of Xanadu is the epic version of an epic song. :) I love how at the end, Alex is putting all he has into playing those last chords.

There's nothing like being young.

So true. And rock of Rush's caliber is a young person's game.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Singing isn't too good and I'm not sure what anyone means by it being the best recorded version of Xanadu. The are some really annoying cuts to those two MP blokes moving amps. Why do we need to see that? It just detracts from the visual performance.

C+

I saw Xanadu in the 70s, you guys are nuts if you think that concoction for R40 is better.

• Like 1

Singing isn't too good and I'm not sure what anyone means by it being the best recorded version of Xanadu. The are some really annoying cuts to those two MP blokes moving amps. Why do we need to see that? It just detracts from the visual performance.

C+

I saw Xanadu in the 70s, you guys are nuts if you think that concoction for R40 is better.

This R40 version is fine if you look at it from a last hurrah perspective, but man, that ESL version is perfect and unbeatable. Same goes for the ESL version of Jacob's Ladder.

• Like 2

C+

So far none of the R40 videos have been examples of stand-out performances. I get that people were hyped for the tour since the word on the street was that it was going to be their last, and who wouldn't like to think that somehow Rush was going to turn in finale performances that were somehow a cut above, but it seems like the "liking to think that" has somehow translated to "they actually did".

Edited by JARG

C+

So far none of the R40 videos have been examples of stand-out performances. I get that people were hyped for the tour since the word on the street was that it was going to be their last, and who wouldn't like to think that somehow Rush was going to turn in finale performances that were somehow a cut above, but it seems like the "liking to think that" has somehow translated to "they actually did".

Indeed. I think the rationale here is that if you don't think it is fantastic Rush might collate that info and hold it against you somehow. It's the only plausible reason for this blind adoration.

Visually it is a triumph, the odd pointless side stage view apart and probably the sound will be excellent too.

You can polish a turd.

Edited by Tony R

C+

Noooooooooooooooo . . . . . . . . . . . :o Say it's not so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (However, being close to their age, I might like to watch people my own age now! :D)

Edited by blueschica

C+

Noooooooooooooooo . . . . . . . . . . . :o Say it's not so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (However, being close to their age, I might like to watch people my own age now! :D)

I'm ignoring the blokes who are too jaded or too "smart" to enjoy R40. You can to. :)

• Like 1

I'm surprised they didn't cut out that squeaky funky note Alex hits right after the intro.

You talking about the last note he hit during the looping 7 pattern, right before he drops down to the sustained A power chord?

Yeah that note sounded wrong, it threw me off a bit. I'm amazed they didn't overdub that part.

• Like 1