R40 - XANADUUUUU

puffyshirt

I'm surprised they didn't cut out that squeaky funky note Alex hits right after the intro.

You talking about the last note he hit during the looping 7 pattern, right before he drops down to the sustained A power chord?

Yeah that note sounded wrong, it threw me off a bit. I'm amazed they didn't overdub that part.

It sounded wrong because it was wrong. That said, it's a forgivable flub given how much his skills have deteriorated these past dozen or so years. I feel bad for the guy and wish that he had friends close to him who could have said to him years ago, "you had an excellent run...there's no shame in throwing in the towel...the longer it takes you to hang it up, the more distance there will be between the top of your game and when you finally quit".

I'm surprised they didn't cut out that squeaky funky note Alex hits right after the intro.

You talking about the last note he hit during the looping 7 pattern, right before he drops down to the sustained A power chord?

Yeah that note sounded wrong, it threw me off a bit. I'm amazed they didn't overdub that part.

It sounded wrong because it was wrong. That said, it's a forgivable flub given how much his skills have deteriorated these past dozen or so years. I feel bad for the guy and wish that he had friends close to him who could have said to him years ago, "you had an excellent run...there's no shame in throwing in the towel...the longer it takes you to hang it up, the more distance there will be between the top of your game and when you finally quit".

I feel like you live under a bridge somewhere

Yeah that.

Singing isn't too good and I'm not sure what anyone means by it being the best recorded version of Xanadu. The are some really annoying cuts to those two MP blokes moving amps. Why do we need to see that? It just detracts from the visual performance.

C+

I saw Xanadu in the 70s, you guys are nuts if you think that concoction for R40 is better.

So far none of the R40 videos have been examples of stand-out performances. I get that people were hyped for the tour since the word on the street was that it was going to be their last, and who wouldn't like to think that somehow Rush was going to turn in finale performances that were somehow a cut above, but it seems like the "liking to think that" has somehow translated to "they actually did".

Indeed. I think the rationale here is that if you don't think it is fantastic Rush might collate that info and hold it against you somehow. It's the only plausible reason for this blind adoration.

Visually it is a triumph, the odd pointless side stage view apart and probably the sound will be excellent too.

You can polish a turd.

I wish Rush were keeping track of my info; how flattering would that be? ;) In my case, it's not blind adoration, nor saying the performances are totally fantastic, but that the experience of watching the R40 performance is what's fantastic. It brings back so many emotions and memories -- this winter when a photo of Geddy's basses was leaked and there was a double neck in the back :) , the first time it was played at Tulsa, all the Periscope viewing parties this summer here on TRF, etc etc, you get the idea. For me, each tour performance has it's own associations that make it unique; I don't have the ear to evaluate note by note . . . . .

• Like 1

I am too. It was really jarring.

Singing isn't too good and I'm not sure what anyone means by it being the best recorded version of Xanadu. The are some really annoying cuts to those two MP blokes moving amps. Why do we need to see that? It just detracts from the visual performance.

C+

I saw Xanadu in the 70s, you guys are nuts if you think that concoction for R40 is better.

I agree completely. This was a pretty poor version. I've seen better videos taken by audience members on this tour.

• Like 1

C+

I agree completely. This was a pretty poor version. I've seen better videos taken by audience members on this tour.

It's just sentimentality.

C+

Sure, but it's too bad they couldn't have gotten a better rendition of it for the DVD, or at the very least fixed it up a bit more.

C+

Sure, but it's too bad they couldn't have gotten a better rendition of it for the DVD, or at the very least fixed it up a bit more.

But it's the single most brilliant definitive version of the song ever!!!

Why must you be such a hater? ;)

• Like 2

Don't trust your feelings, Luke. ;)

• Like 1

The ESL version is obviously better but this is solid. I don't think any performance on this album is the best of anything they've ever done, but everything was solid all around. Of course they are not playing a 37 year old song as good as they were 37 years ago, but nothing on this album is anywhere near the sound of a band that needs to "throw in the towel"
  • Like 1

C+

But it's the single most brilliant definitive version of the song ever!!!

Why must you be such a hater? ;)

I didn't say that. You must be thinking of someone else in this thread. :LOL:

I feel like you have a large floppy appendage growing from your forehead.

C+

So did i, and this performance is right up there!!! Do you ever have a good thing to say about anything?

I was lucky enough to be there, how wonderful is this performance. Geddy nailed the vocals,Alex and Neil were spot on.

There's loyalty and then there's blind loyalty. ;)

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to be there, how wonderful is this performance. Geddy nailed the vocals,Alex and Neil were spot on.

Call it what you want, I was there I loved it, and that is all that matters,
  • Like 1

I'm happy that you loved it. And I can get how the excitement of being at a live show can cloud your memories of it, but unless you and I are listening to different versions of the R40 Xanadu, there's simply no justification that claim that Geddy "nailed the vocals".

• Like 2

I'm happy that you loved it. And I can get how the excitement of being at a live show can cloud your memories of it, but unless you and I are listening to different versions of the R40 Xanadu, there's simply no justification that claim that Geddy "nailed the vocals".

Whatever, not going to argue with you :cheers:
  • Like 1