Carter Buthford better than neil??

nicky6

Blake richardson is a prog metal drummer who grooves imo.

I think that the level of groove in neils playing is pretty equal to geds and alexs.

Im thinking alex is the grooviest member?

I'd say Geddy is. He gets some decent funk going in Leave That Thing Alone -- imagine how much more groovy he'd be on this song with a different drummer behind him.

http://youtu.be/zNauuexeMz8

Yeah he kills it there and i am undecided still. Just listened to a passage to Bangkok and the riffs seemed to groove.

I have to consider victor too.

It seems to me that alex is a better bass player than ged is a guitar player?

Anyways like deelite said- groove is in the heart!

What can he do on the drums that Neil can't?

Groove.

The Weapon says hello!

Not an ounce of groove there. His drumming is as stiff as an 80s drum machine.

I hope someone tries to dismiss this fact... ;)

That would be a tall order. A four-on-the-floor disco bass drum does not equal groove, at least not in this case. I like Neil's drum part in that song, but there's no funk there.

I read that Lee and Lifeson defied Peart to play the drum machine pattern they had programmed when writing the music for The Weapon and he stepped up to the mark as only he could.

It's a great drum part. And it's even better live. Of course Neil added the stick flip in there because he had a hand free for three whole beats.

http://youtu.be/WRw9wlOZ9Lg

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

I don't know, lately Ive been thinking that Geddy might have more to due with Rush's "lack of groove" than previously thought of. He tends to over play a lot, especially with thst flamenco shit.

See also: Neil's version of Working Man live.

In my experience guitarists can just seem to pick up a bass and be awesome, but it doesn't always work the other way around.

• Like 1

In my experience guitarists can just seem to pick up a bass and be awesome, but it doesn't always work the other way around.

Then again ged seems to be a better keys player than alex.

I think the bass is also perceived to be funkier or groovier than a guitar.

f**k that 90s fratboy music

Classifying DMB as '90s fratboy music' ignores what it actually is. It's very unique, and pretty darn popular. The band itself is very talented. Beauford's one of the best. Dave's acoustic work is highly unique. Lessard is as solid a bassist as they come. Tim Reynolds can shred with just about anyone. LeRoi (when he was alive) had an iconic sound. Jeff Coffin and Rashawn Ross solo multiple times a night, and I don't think many people understand just how difficult that can be. No song/set is ever played the same, and switching it up 40+ nights each summer is pretty darn impressive.

Sure, some of the fans are obnoxious and can't get out of the decade. But go to a show, and you'll see a wide range of people grooving to the music as much as the person next to them. DMB's fan base is as diverse as any -- and very few actually have the 'fratboy' mantra.

If you hate DMB's sound, that's one thing. But casting them off because of a few of their fans -- that's another.

Obviously, I'm a huge fan. But I don't necessarily think I'm all too biased. I started listening to DMB as someone who generally prefers acoustic work over electric work. For me, DMB (and Dave, especially) is a huge influence on my own musical ventures (even if they're terrible and just a hobby).

As for who's better; it's impossible to tell. Beauford is very loose, and Neil is much more tight. I believe someone earlier posted this: neither would fit in the other's band. Jam bands need loose drummers. Beauford controls each and every tune on a given night... How long it's going to be, who solos longer than the other, etc. Neil (and Rush) are more methodical. They like to pick a set and stick to it.

Does that make one better than the other? Nope. Both are immensely talented, and fit perfectly within the system.

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx
  • Like 2

Classifying DMB as '90s fratboy music' ignores what it actually is. It's very unique, and pretty darn popular. The band itself is very talented. Beauford's one of the best. Dave's acoustic work is highly unique. Lessard is as solid a bassist as they come. Tim Reynolds can shred with just about anyone. LeRoi (when he was alive) had an iconic sound. Jeff Coffin and Rashawn Ross solo multiple times a night, and I don't think many people understand just how difficult that can be. No song/set is ever played the same, and switching it up 40+ nights each summer is pretty darn impressive.

Sure, some of the fans are obnoxious and can't get out of the decade. But go to a show, and you'll see a wide range of people grooving to the music as much as the person next to them. DMB's fan base is as diverse as any -- and very few actually have the 'fratboy' mantra.

Obviously, I'm a huge fan. But I don't necessarily think I'm all too biased. I started listening to DMB as someone who generally prefers acoustic work over electric work. For me, DMB (and Dave, especially) is a huge influence on my own musical ventures (even if they're terrible and just a hobby).

As for who's better; it's impossible to tell. Beauford is very loose, and Neil is much more tight. I believe someone earlier posted this: neither would fit in the other's band. Jam bands need loose drummers. Beauford controls each and every tune on a given night... How long it's going to be, who solos longer than the other, etc. Neil (and Rush) are more methodical. They like to pick a set and stick to it.

Does that make one better than the other? Nope. Both are immensely talented, and fit perfectly within the system.

Great post. I use to find DMB kind of annoying. Then someone loaned me the Listener Supported dvd. Holy shit, I had a eureka moment. I was like, I get it! I ended up buying it, and bought a couple albums.

Carter is an immensely talented drummer, and I have a lot of respect for him.

Just how much experience do you have?

You should check out his videos.

They're in this subforum: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/forum/62-exercises-in-self-indulgence/

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

every artist has a little talent.. just because they do, doesn't mean I have to like them. I can't stand 90's music. unless its bands from the 70's and 80's putting product in the 90's. DMB just didn't do it for me. Ok, sure they are talented, but so are 10000 other bar bands. they just got lucky and came out the right time.. I bet if they tried to come out in 1983 with their shit, no one would welcome them, besides,, it wasn;t their time yet.. Edited by nicky6

Classifying DMB as '90s fratboy music' ignores what it actually is. It's very unique, and pretty darn popular. The band itself is very talented. Beauford's one of the best. Dave's acoustic work is highly unique. Lessard is as solid a bassist as they come. Tim Reynolds can shred with just about anyone. LeRoi (when he was alive) had an iconic sound. Jeff Coffin and Rashawn Ross solo multiple times a night, and I don't think many people understand just how difficult that can be.

I only know of 2 DMB songs off the top of my head, and one of those I only ever heard once, but it was cool. I think it was called "Too Much", or something like that.

But I've seen Jeff Coffin with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones about a half-dozen times, and he's amazing.

If you hate DMB's sound, that's one thing. But casting them off because of a few of their fans -- that's another.

I have nothing against the sea of backwards baseball caps and polo shirts you'll see at a DMB gig. I just think they sound shitty, sorry.

• Like 1

Drum machines must have groove. People dance to them all the time.

Yeah, but it's not the same as dancing to a funk groove. It's more like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/gifs/snl-heads_zpsgobkzn45.gif

I recently posted some funk that doesn't groove. :)

Damn straight!

Damn straight!

I'm serious! The drummer for Funkenstein is a machine and all the beats are right on the money. It's hard to tell because we rock on it so well :LOL: but when you compare the originals to the covers, you'll hear the huge differences in feel.

Speaking of unreal drummers… this girl, Senri Kawaguchi, from Japan, is only about 17. I have no doubts that in about 5 or 6 years, she will be in the top five drummers on the planet. The scary thing is that when she was only 13 or 14, she was incredible. She is like a female Tony Royster Jr.

I think she weighs about 85 pounds, soaking wet, but she hits those drums with huge power. Her technique is top shelf and her hand and foot speed is way beyond her years. Many of the so-called “famous” drummers of today could not even compete with her brilliance. There is lots of video of on the Google.

• Like 1

Speaking of unreal drummers… this girl, Senri Kawaguchi, from Japan, is only about 17. I have no doubts that in about 5 or 6 years, she will be in the top five drummers on the planet. The scary thing is that when she was only 13 or 14, she was incredible. She is like a female Tony Royster Jr.

I think she weighs about 85 pounds, soaking wet, but she hits those drums with huge power. Her technique is top shelf and her hand and foot speed is way beyond her years. Many of the so-called “famous” drummers of today could not even compete with her brilliance. There is lots of video of on the Google.

Yeah that clip with her and the other 3 japanese chicks doing jazz is awesome as hell.