RS: Geddy & Alex answer Fan Questions

Union 5-3992

It's starting to feel like geddy is pressuring Neil through these interviews with the way he answers the touring questions. Guilt trip.

I'm willing to bet Neil never even watches it. There's at least a decent chance he'll never know or care this video even exists.

Another way of saying it is that it feels like a small window into a rift between them that is bigger than we think.

Maybe, who knows. They're old, and getting older. The fundamental difference between "I want to play while I still can" and "I'm tired and want to enjoy not playing while I still can" is pretty big, and would cause a rift between anybody, let alone people at such crucial points in their lives.

I feel like they should just settle on new music. It still lets them play and be creative, but isn't a long-term commitment for Neil. I don't blame Neil at all for not wanting to go through the mental and physical exhaustion of playing the same songs for the millionth time (with a few surprises thrown in, of course). But I also don't blame Geddy for feeling good, feeling healthy, and wanting to strike while the iron's hot. Neil (and probably Alex) must just not feel as good or healthy about it.

It's not just his drumming that takes a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show is just as tiring if not more. If he were to take a bus or fly he'd get much more rest and be able to relax and read books.

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make.

Well, actually.... no it isn't.

It's not a trade-off he's willing to make?

He doesn't want to tour anymore.

And you think he would if he wasn't riding his motorcycle from show to show?

I didn't say that. What I said speaks for itself.

Sorry man, I'm usually pretty good at making sense of non-sequiturs, but I'm not following you.

It's starting to feel like geddy is pressuring Neil through these interviews with the way he answers the touring questions. Guilt trip.

I'm willing to bet Neil never even watches it. There's at least a decent chance he'll never know or care this video even exists.

Another way of saying it is that it feels like a small window into a rift between them that is bigger than we think.

Maybe, who knows. They're old, and getting older. The fundamental difference between "I want to play while I still can" and "I'm tired and want to enjoy not playing while I still can" is pretty big, and would cause a rift between anybody, let alone people at such crucial points in their lives.

I feel like they should just settle on new music. It still lets them play and be creative, but isn't a long-term commitment for Neil. I don't blame Neil at all for not wanting to go through the mental and physical exhaustion of playing the same songs for the millionth time (with a few surprises thrown in, of course). But I also don't blame Geddy for feeling good, feeling healthy, and wanting to strike while the iron's hot. Neil (and probably Alex) must just not feel as good or healthy about it.

It's not just his drumming that takes a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show is just as tiring if not more. If he were to take a bus or fly he'd get much more rest and be able to relax and read books.

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make.

Sorry man, I'm usually pretty good at making sense of non-sequiturs, but I'm not following you.

You said that it was a trade-off that he was willing to make and I just said it wasn't because he does not want to tour. At this point he is not willing to do anything. I originally said that riding his bike from show to show is very tiring and that it would be less tiring to take a bus or fly. I can't say that if he did so that he would still want to tour but he would feel much more rested.

Edit: Well, actually it wasn't you that said the trade off thing.

Edited by snowdogged

They will release new music with Neil, but tour with a different drummer.

Just my opinion: I don't think that will ever happen.

• Like 2

They will release new music with Neil, but tour with a different drummer.

Just my opinion: I don't think that will ever happen.

I'm hearing through the grapevine that Donald Trump will be their new drummer for the tours. He will use his presidential drum kit.

You said that it was a trade-off that he was willing to make and I just said it wasn't because he does not want to tour. At this point he is not willing to do anything. I originally said that riding his bike from show to show is very tiring and that it would be less tiring to take a bus or fly. I can't say that if he did so that he would still want to tour but he would feel much more rested.

My quote:

Alright, smarty-pants, let's change it to:

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he GOT from riding must HAVE HELPED him get through the tour so it WAS a trade-off he WAS willing to make.

Is that better? If you were going to nitpick the verb tense I used and totally ignore the substance of what I said, then mind your own verb tenses as well:

Your quote:

Should have been:

It WASN'T just his drumming that TOOK a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show WAS just as tiring if not more. IF HE HAD TAKEN a bus or FLOWN, he WOULD HAVE GOTTEN much more rest and BEEN able to relax and read books.

Otherwise I could have said, "What difference does it make? He's not touring anymore anyway."

See, I can be a brat too. :)

• Like 4

My quote:

I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he GOT from riding must HAVE HELPED him get through the tour so it WAS a trade-off he WAS willing to make.

Is that better? If you were going to nitpick the verb tense I used and totally ignore the substance of what I said, then mind your own verb tenses as well:

Your quote:

Should have been:

It WASN'T just his drumming that TOOK a toll on him. Riding his bike from show to show WAS just as tiring if not more. IF HE HAD TAKEN a bus or FLOWN, he WOULD HAVE GOTTEN much more rest and BEEN able to relax and read books.

Otherwise I could have said, "What difference does it make? He's not touring anymore anyway."

Touche! I think that I just fell in love. :LOL:
  • Like 1

My quote:

Your quote:

Should have been:

Touche! I think that I just fell in love. :LOL:

LOL!! That was exhausting but fun. :LOL:

:fistbump:

Right it wasn't me. Xanadu said, "I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make." to which you replied "Well, actually.... no it isn't."

I asked you "It's not a trade-off he's willing to make?" because I was trying to figure out what you meant by "it" in "no it isn't." And then went and got all non sequitur on me.

Right it wasn't me. Xanadu said, "I thought the same thing myself, but I can only assume that the joy he gets from riding must help get him through the tour so it's a trade-off he is willing to make." to which you replied "Well, actually.... no it isn't."

I asked you "It's not a trade-off he's willing to make?" because I was trying to figure out what you meant by "it" in "no it isn't." And then went and got all non sequitur on me.

Sorry, for creating confusion.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VgqVsN6HL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's not your Gramma, it's Grammar Rock!!

Not your gramma's gramma.

• Like 2

Yes. It isn't.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VgqVsN6HL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's not your Gramma, it's Grammar Rock!!

Not your gramma's gramma.

So, whoever wins this Grammar War receives............receives................

...........OK, WAIT FOR IT.......

A GRAMMY.........???????!!!!!!!

........Nah.....that can't be it.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Geddy = WORKING MAN

A jab at Neil perhaps ?

I highly doubt it. I think at this point we can assume they respect each other's decisions enough to NOT take THOSE kinds of jabs.

Actually, I'm surprised Geddy picked that. I would've guessed he'd pick something like La Villa or YYZ

Geddy = WORKING MAN

A jab at Neil perhaps ?

I highly doubt it. I think at this point we can assume they respect each other's decisions enough to NOT take THOSE kinds of jabs.

Actually, I'm surprised Geddy picked that. I would've guessed he'd pick something like La Villa or YYZ

I think Geddy really likes the jam during the middle of Working Man. It's one of the few times where they can just let it all hang out, improvise, and do it differently every night.

• Like 1

Out of everyone here, I'm one of the least emotionally involved with Rush. My observations are objective. At least, I think they are. :unsure:

Maybe Ged and Al are just good public relations men and know what to say and how to say it. :huh:

It's very likely they don't want to shut the door on anything so they're not going to say anything that would imply that.

Absolutely. It's important to remember these guys also went through a previous five year period in which they thought the band was likely done. They have been down this road before. They don't know what lies ahead other than a road.

That said, I just don't see them touring. The end of the five year hiatus was over a decade ago. Different stages in life now with likely different outcomes. I do see them recording and *maybe* playing a show here or there (although that would be hard given the level of perfection they expect of themselves and the preparation that is required of that expectation). Maybe a residency set up, then? If Neil got the itch to play live, maybe he would agree to a stretch of "X" number of summer shows that means he doesn't go from city-to-city, that allows him to take his family with him wherever that residency may be? That kind of thing, but I imagine that is a year or two or more away, if at all. It certainly sounds like Geddy is up for anything and my hunch is Alex would go along with it just because he seems genuinely agreeable.

• Like 1

I was hoping Ged would have said his most embarrassing moment was saying hello to Houston when he was in Dallas back in May.

Oh my goodness that was funny. The look of realization on his face as the crowd went from silence to a lot of laughter and a few boos was priceless. He then corrected himself and, while pushing his hair behind his ears, said something like "That's what we in the entertainment industry call a faux pas." So, so, so funny.

• Like 3

About the question of touring - (as it sounds like Neil doesn't want to, but maybe Alex and Geddy just might)... Neil has a young child and the other guys do not. Big factor, I think.

I was hoping Ged would have said his most embarrassing moment was saying hello to Houston when he was in Dallas back in May.

Oh my goodness that was funny. The look of realization on his face as the crowd went from silence to a lot of laughter and a few boos was priceless. He then corrected himself and, while pushing his hair behind his ears, said something like "That's what we in the entertainment industry call a faux pas." So, so, so funny.

:LOL:

But that still doesn't seem as bad as falling on his ass in the story he told.

(Edited to add: oops, that was Lerxst falling on his ass, not Ged. Though Ged falling face forward drunk into the crowd is STILL worse than saying the wrong city name)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Oh damn.... :blush: :facepalm: :LOL:

Oh damn.... :blush: :facepalm: :LOL:

Oh yeah that was a bit embarrasing ;) I was there and I felt sorry for him. Poor Ged. He was a bit like a tourist thinking that "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium". Woops. He made up for this mistake in Houston two days later by making sure he got that part right. He mentioned he'd betted $500 on that one :LOL:

• Like 2