Geddy´s voice on Different Stages disc 3

YYZumbi

When I read the title on the main page I thought it was Geddy's voice on "Different Strings." Only one of the greatest songs ever! I always wanted that song live too. Damn!

Anyway sorry! I like Geddy's voice on the "A Farewell To Kings" bonus disc better!!!

Then again what do I know?

Rush RULES!

• Like 2

When I read the title on the main page I thought it was Geddy's voice on "Different Strings." Only one of the greatest songs ever! I always wanted that song live too. Damn!

Anyway sorry! I like Geddy's voice on the "A Farewell To Kings" bonus disc better!!!

Rush RULES!

A Farewell To Kings bonus disc..? Whats that?

Rush RULES!

The Farewell To King's bonus disc is just that - a third extra disc that covers the Hammersmith, London UK tour from 1978.

Rush RULES!

The Farewell To King's bonus disc is just that - a third extra disc that covers the Hammersmith, London UK tour from 1978.

Thats the one I mean....

You must prefer a younger geddy's voice style, i prefer the late Geddy's style, but Geddy had always a lot of charm young or old, sick or not...

I guess I do prefer his 70s voice, yes. But to me he have always had a great voice! No matter what age hes been, or if hes been sick or not.

It´s like on the Time Machine live album, I really like his voice on that album as well, even thou the album gets much hate just because of his voice.

I must like the way he sound when he is sick...

Loved his earlier voice. Power + passion.

Same here. Geddys voice has always sounded interesting and unique, but never more so than in the 70's.

• Like 1

I...don't understand. Are you saying it sounds different compared to disc one and two? Or different compared to other shows of that era? Disc three is a bonus disc with a concert from a good 10-15 years prior to the shows on discs one and two, so of course he'll sound different.

I...don't understand. Are you saying it sounds different compared to disc one and two? Or different compared to other shows of that era? Disc three is a bonus disc with a concert from a good 10-15 years prior to the shows on discs one and two, so of course he'll sound different.

I have heard the comments that people said they didn't like disc three because of him being sick. It sounds good to me.

I have heard the comments that people said they didn't like disc three because of him being sick. It sounds good to me.

Hmm, weird. I never heard that about that performance specifically, and I've listened to that album literally dozens of times and thought it was incredible. never noticed anything off. Not like Time Machine, where he was sick and sounded like crap.

Hmm, weird. I never heard that about that performance specifically, and I've listened to that album literally dozens of times and thought it was incredible. never noticed anything off. Not like Time Machine, where he was sick and sounded like crap.

The only thing I notice about it in particular is that he sings some phrases delayed a beat or two, but that's it.

Just out of sheer curiosity, I'd be interested to know how we know he was sick on that specific performance from almost 40 years ago, haha. That's definitely a fun fact.

From an interview with Alex - Guitar Shop magazine.

What made you pick the Hammersmith Odeon show specifically?

We came across it when we were clearing out a tape storage room. Geddy had a bit of a cold when we did that gig and after hearing the tapes initially, didn't feel that great about his singing. So the tapes were put away and we basically forgot about them. But when we came across them again recently, we knew we had something that was very cool. In the past, we've closed periods in our development with live albums. But this time, by having the stuff from 21 years ago and because we covered material from the various periods of Rush during the '97 tour, it took a different complexion. It became more of a retrospective release.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

That '78 Hammersmith show is just incredible. Yes, I love Geddy's voice on it, but it's more than that.

Am I the only one who is totally blown away by the sound of the drums on that disc? They are booming, thundering...otherworldly. It's amazing.

• Like 2

Yes, love this show more than ATWAS, and if only geddy wasn't late with some of his vocal delivery, and they would have left lakeside park on here, which would have came right after by-tor, I can see them taking off drum solo and closer to the heart, but they could have left LP on. but other than that. excellent. one of my favs. and the sound is really killer for an old 1978 recording..
  • Like 1

Geddy's voice sounds fantastic there! I don't see why some criticize it so much.

Cygnus X-1 might be my favorite version ever. All the other songs are great. 2112 isn't on there, but it should be.

Overall, a great performance. Coincidentally, the AFTK tour is, IMO, his last with his peak power and range.

The Hemispheres tour was a big step down.

Geddy's voice sounds fantastic there! I don't see why some criticize it so much.

Cygnus X-1 might be my favorite version ever. All the other songs are great. 2112 isn't on there, but it should be.

Overall, a great performance. Coincidentally, the AFTK tour is, IMO, his last with his peak power and range.

The Hemispheres tour was a big step down.

This seems to be your favorite subject.

Geddy's voice got me into Rush in the first place, so it is my favorite thing to talk about here.

His mid- to higher-register vocals still had loads of appeal for me after Hemispheres - especially 79 - 84. His voice has such a unique timbre (or whatever it's called - that quality that makes it distinct). I think Clockwork proves he still has the ability to belt out that higher stuff, at least in the studio.

Geddy's voice got me into Rush in the first place, so it is my favorite thing to talk about here.

His mid- to higher-register vocals still had loads of appeal for me after Hemispheres - especially 79 - 84. His voice has such a unique timbre (or whatever it's called - that quality that makes it distinct). I think Clockwork proves he still has the ability to belt out that higher stuff, at least in the studio.

I've enjoyed listening to his voice all through the years and it's only been the past few where it started declining a lot and it hasn't been as pleasant to hear. I think his voice changed to suit whatever they were doing at the time.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1