Ted Nugent - A Tale of Two Teds

The Cat 3

My family moved to Michigan from New York in 1978 when I was 15 and we lived there until 1981.

One of the artists that dropped off my radar screen over the years is Ted Nugent.

In Michigan in the late 1970's, Ted Nugent was pretty much required listening.

I don't think there was a single man, woman, child, dog or cat that didn't own a copy of "Double Live Gonzo". (Along with Bob Seger's "Live Bullet" and REO's "Live You Get What You Play For").

Myself included...and I've forgotten just how much his music had been part of the soundtrack of that time in my life.

The other thing that I had forgotten is just how good of guitar player he is.

If you can divorce him from his politics and antics and give his music an honest listen I think you'll agree just how impressive his music was from 1975 to 1981.

He toured constantly and released a studio album every year and two live albums along the way.

(Ted Nugent / Free For All / Cat Scratch Fever / Double Live Gonzo / Weekend Warriors / State of Shock / Scream Dream / Intensities in 10 Cities)

The first four multi-platinum, the remaining platinum and gold.

I saw him in December of 1978 (with The Cars opening) and Pontiac Silverdome at the height of his career...the show was just amazing.

Check out the studio version of "Stranglehold" below.

So, what your musical, (not political, etc.) thoughts about the Motor City Madman?

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

It is hard to understand how someone with that manic, disjointed personality ever had the discipline to learn guitar or read books. I don't agree with his politics but he's an interesting guy.
  • Like 4

Musically, Ted Nugent is a lot like Aerosmith in that his 1970s string of albums is very impressive, in fact, they are great. From the debut through Scream Dream there are a ton of great rock and roll songs. The man wrote great riffs and played the guitar sincerely and emotionally.

Politics and personality aside, the man is very talented. Though his musical peak is long gone, his great music is of its own value.

I like his music and, in a weird way, appreciate his personality and confidence. Foot in mouth and all.

• Like 7

Love him,

And his politics. I would be on his side if and when the sh** hits the fan! :madra:

BTW,

My first ever concert. :codger:

Same with me! I love his music, agree with his political views, and he was my first concert, too!

• Like 4

I don't agree with his political views at all or at least not most of them. That doesn't make him a bad person. I think his music was good. One of my favorite things he did was with his 60's band called the Amboy Dukes and was a track called "Journey to the Center of your mind." I love the guitar on that. The riffing in the middle sort of anticipates metal.
  • Like 3

I don't agree with his political views at all or at least not most of them. That doesn't make him a bad person. I think his music was good. One of my favorite things he did was with his 60's band called the Amboy Dukes and was a track called "Journey to the Center of your mind." I love the guitar on that. The riffing in the middle sort of anticipates metal.

Yeah,

Great tune.

• Like 2

Yeah,

Great tune.

Good stuff!
  • Like 3

Im from michigan orginally, but not really a huge fan. No hater though. I really could care less about his political views , as with most celebs.

That being said, great white buffalo is one of the greatest songs ever.

• Like 4

Im from michigan orginally, but not really a huge fan. No hater though. I really could care less about his political views , as with most celebs.

That being said, great white buffalo is one of the greatest songs ever.

I should add fred bear is a great song as well.

• Like 3

Love him,

And his politics. I would be on his side if and when the sh** hits the fan! :madra:

BTW,

Same with me! I love his music, agree with his political views, and he was my first concert, too!

"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the ACORN community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America"

"Obama's a piece of shit, and I told him to suck on my machine gun."

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year."[

Great politics...

:facepalm:

• Like 5

Love him,

BTW,

"I have obviously failed to galvanize and prod, if not shame enough Americans to be ever vigilant not to let a Chicago communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel like the ACORN community organizer gangster Barack Hussein Obama to weasel his way into the top office of authority in the United States of America"

"If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year."[

Great politics...

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone would agree with any of this nonsense.

• Like 3

Love him,

BTW,

Great politics...

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone would agree with any of this nonsense.

Horrible insults are hurled by both sides.

• Like 1

It's funny how artists who spout mindless liberal blather, truly understanding none of it, don't get the blowback Ted receives for his politics.

Double Live Gonzo SHOULD be required listening. Ted was a fantastic no frills rocker.

I doubt I agree with them either.

• Like 1

It's funny how artists who spout mindless liberal blather, truly understanding none of it, don't get the blowback Ted receives for his politics.

Double Live Gonzo SHOULD be required listening. Ted was a fantastic no frills rocker.

But Ted killed Bambi.

I don't know, but my point is more whether you can think of one such artist as readily as you likely think of Ted and conservatism?

• Like 1

But Ted killed Bambi.

With his bow and arrow?

• Like 2

I don't know, but my point is more whether you can think of one such artist as readily as you likely think of Ted and conservatism?

Bono & economic liberalism? Sinead O'Connor and religious liberalism? Bruce Springsteen and social liberalism? Barbra Streisand and feminist liberalism?
  • Like 2

Bono & economic liberalism? Sinead O'Connor and religious liberalism? Bruce Springsteen and social liberalism? Barbra Streisand and feminist liberalism?

Katy Perry and blind allegiance to Hillary?

• Like 1