Prog Magazine Alex Interview

DirkPrattLerxst

https://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-11-13/the-prog-interview-alex-lifeson?registrationType=native

According to Alex, he feels like the R40 Tour was too short. At the end of the article he also mentions that he wants to start writing again. I think there's light on the horizon for the future of Rush and I would expect a new album sometime in the future!

• Like 2

Good thing we're all members and can read it!

My bad, forgot to mention you need to be registered to view it. You can register for free.

Yes, and don't bring it here. The last time they had a Rush interview or story, someone posted it here and 73 removed it. If I remember correctly.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the link, very interesting article! Union, you just have to register with your email and you can read it, they send you like one e mail, it's not too obnoxious.

Lorraine is right, DPL (or me) couldn't copy and paste the whole article even though we could see it. Last time someone did that, (from this same publisher) 73 took it down, saying , as TRF is a respected online entity with sign in procedures, it should respect other legit online publisher's sign in procedures. He made us look good. . . :)

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

A very professional approach, IMO. You discuss it, discuss it again, and when all is said and done, if one or more of the guys wants to end it (touring, that is), then you end it with no hard feelings.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

A very professional approach, IMO. You discuss it, discuss it again, and when all is said and done, if one or more of the guys wants to end it (touring, that is), then you end it with no hard feelings.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

I thought it was a very mature approach and impressive. Not many are willing to bend like that. So, if there is one dissenter, the other two give way. That's hard to do. So much for majority rules.

And what’s next for you?

I’ll keep playing for sure. I think Ged and I will get together this fall, in fact. I was over at his place last night for dinner and we just chatted very briefly and said, ‘Whenever we feel like it then let’s get together, do whatever we can and get it going, and then include Neil, see if he’s ready for it and then take it from there.’

But if for some reason that doesn’t happen then I’ll definitely work on some stuff this fall, probably even sooner.

They ain't done...just sayin'

• Like 7

I think what that's saying is that one way or another Lerxst plans to make music.

If with both Geds and Pratt, then it's Rush.

If just with Geds, then they figure out what it is.

If by himself then it's a Lerxst project.

That's my take on it anyway.

They could use Neil's recorded drum tracks from the DVD and advanced holographic technology . . .

The Flaming Lips had a back screen with Steven Drozd playing the drums while the live Drozd played live on the stage. Interesting. Really makes one pay attention to time more then one probably would with a live drummer.

• Like 1

They could use Neil's recorded drum tracks from the DVD and advanced holographic technology . . .

Bad idea. Given all the holodeck malfunctions that the USS Enterprise had to endure, we puny 21st century people would have total chaos with ours......

• Like 2

Nice of them to use Alex to try an get me as a member..bastards! Someone post it! Lol

I hope the Forum show was the final tour show. They are entering R-42 territory in 6 weeks. I for one am absolutely fine with Rush remaining a studio band giving us a new record every year and experimenting with everything from guest vocalists to guest artists.

We got 3 studio Records and an EP of covers between 1997 to 2015. Give me 10 more record's over 1 more tour with Geddy struggling to sing anything, Neil in awful pain, and Alex getting worse arthritis.

Of course the tour was too short. They should have played Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Miami,Orlando,and hit states they never went to before like Maine, Alaska, Hawaii,and states they haven't been to in decades like North and South Dakota, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Rhode Island,Idaho etc...

Yes, they should have announced a UK/Europe leg for the Fall and said that yes this will be our final trip to the UK and Europe. Say a proper farewell. Then do the exact same thing in Brazil, Chile, Peru, Argentina, and Mexico. They could have easily added those huge stadium shows and said that international touring is over for good and we thank you for 41 years of support.

Yes, they could have done the same with Asia and gone and played 10 shows in Japan. Japan got a total of 3 shows in 41 years and it was on 1 tour in 1984. Say a proper farewell at the very least outside of the comforts of the U.S. and Canada.

All in all had they done 10 shows in the U.K., Scotland, Ireland and then take a week off to rest and then 10 shows in Europe then take 2 weeks off go do South America and Mexico they would have pleased millions who couldn't afford trips to Canada or America. Hit Alaska a month later for 2 shows, Hawaii for 2 shows on the way to Japan and Asia. Take 2 weeks off and finish in the states and cities you skipped the first go around with 16 shows max.

I doubt ANYONE would be complaining right now that they missed then had they mapped it out that way after the initial 34 shows were done. They still would have had many weeks off to rest and recharge.

The only solution to unresolved business is to announce a final international tour and stay as a recording act doing residency stays on either coast and in Canada twice a year.

That's for those who still need to see Rush live. I have been seeing them since 1984. I saw 3 shows on R-40. Saw each set list. I am content. A blu ray will be in my hands Friday. I am good with that and youtube shows from the entire tour.

What I really want is new music and BAD. I grew up spoiled as a kid with a new album every year and that live album always to look forward to. R40 is now their 11th live record. That means they have as many live albums as they do studio Records up to Power Windows.

Neil's tragedies prevented probably 3 records from being made. I don't want the guy to be in pain, away from his little girl Olivia,his wife, his friends, and his own life. The time he has spent in arenas and going city to city is mind boggling. He is turning 64? He can't play like he did in 1982. Not even close.

But, Rush proved with Clockwork Angels that they CAN still write relevant exciting music. So since they don't want to ever use the retirement word,then I hope I hear in late January that they have begun writing a new album that winds up being a double album. A double album we have never gotten from them except live stuff.

Geddy and Alex both have studios at home. They can literally write an album without Neil. Send him the music in files to Los Angeles and work long diatance. Then join up in Los Angeles to record it all properly or he just goes to Toronto.

Imagine Rush giving us a new album every year again? Count me in on that. Seeing Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, 2112, and Working Man Again for the millionth time?

No thanks.

• Like 4

Marvelous revelation from the blonde third of Rush..

"I’ve always been handy with my hands and enjoy doing stuff with them"

All in all had they done 10 shows in the U.K., Scotland, Ireland and then take a week off to rest and then 10 shows in Europe then take 2 weeks off go do South America and Mexico they would have pleased millions who couldn't afford trips to Canada or America. Hit Alaska a month later for 2 shows, Hawaii for 2 shows on the way to Japan and Asia. Take 2 weeks off and finish in the states and cities you skipped the first go around with 16 shows max.

Yes that would have been perfect and in the great scheme of things, not too much more effort, especially knowing it would be the last time.

Nice of Alex to acknowledge the UK in the interview.

Edited by ChrisUK

It's too bad they didn't extend it to at least a few more dates here and Europe. Much easier to keep the ball rolling than to tear it down and restart.
  • Like 3