There's Still Hope!

x1yyz

I think most of us knew that Ged was the most interested in continuing on, followed by Alex who seemed as though he was conflicted...followed by Neil.. who really seems to be done with it all. That said, Neil strikes me as a hard working guy and for the most part, an agreeable guy when it comes to working with Ged and Al. In the video from the making of Snakes and Arrows, Ged talked about how Neil will give him a sheet a lyrics and that Ged may only be able to use a single line or phrase. Neil would use that as a starting point to re-work all of the lyrics into something that Ged can work with. That always struck me as significant. I'd have thought that something as personal as lyrics would have been something that Neil would have been resistant to Ged discarding. Neil just strikes me as a team guy, and if the emotional and physical demands of touring are just too difficult for him (I personally believe the physical demands are more of a hurdle than anything else) I could see Neil going into the studio and doing some recording with them.

I think Neil is a lot nicer guy in general than people give him credit for. He just has an issue with fanatics.

• Like 3

I think the "patterns" idea is a good one. The pattern I see with NP is periods of rest and reflection and then he wants to be productive. So with slow and determined steps, he sets about tackling another personal challenge. He will spend a couple of years being a family guy, which has to be way more fulfilling and important to him now but then his creative urges will creep in and my guess is he'll start writing and then shake off the cobwebs behind the drums.

By this time 4-5 years will have passed but Rush is for life, so I can easily see them recording a new album then and depending on the economic landscape, possibly a small tour. Now if for some strange reason, Rush has cultivated a whole new audience through constant pop culture endorsements and the children of the original Rush fans retaining the interests of the previous generation, then who knows? Maybe a major tour would be feasible.

Bottom line as I see it, at least 2 of the three members need a few years away from this thing called Rush - I'm cool with that.

I think most of us knew that Ged was the most interested in continuing on, followed by Alex who seemed as though he was conflicted...followed by Neil.. who really seems to be done with it all. That said, Neil strikes me as a hard working guy and for the most part, an agreeable guy when it comes to working with Ged and Al. In the video from the making of Snakes and Arrows, Ged talked about how Neil will give him a sheet a lyrics and that Ged may only be able to use a single line or phrase. Neil would use that as a starting point to re-work all of the lyrics into something that Ged can work with. That always struck me as significant. I'd have thought that something as personal as lyrics would have been something that Neil would have been resistant to Ged discarding. Neil just strikes me as a team guy, and if the emotional and physical demands of touring are just too difficult for him (I personally believe the physical demands are more of a hurdle than anything else) I could see Neil going into the studio and doing some recording with them.

I think Neil is a lot nicer guy in general than people give him credit for. He just has an issue with fanatics.

Woah, Hey now. That does not fit in with the official Neil Narrative. :tsk:

The official TRF Neil Narrative summary: Neil is a pseudo-intellectual selfish prick who needs to man up and keep playing because, damn it, that's what the fans want. ;)

PS I agree with you. I think those who are close to Neil probably find him to be a normal and generous person. He is probably awkward in situations with strangers, and even more so awkward with fans who go all fanatical. I have said it before, he probably has a bit of a jerk streak in him.... but we all do. That's being human.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

I found the comment about the R40 set list - the point that they are playing songs they don't hate or aren't tired of - interesting. Thinking of three songs in that setlist caused me to raise an eyebrow to Neil's comment: How It Is, Closer to the Heart, Lakeside Park.

How It Is because there were always hints that Neil didn't like/want to play stuff from VT because of the overall context of that album, and Alex and Ged seemed to honor that.

Closer to the Heart because Neil actually once said they got sick of playing it and that's the reason they shelved it for a while.

Lakeside Park because Geddy has suggested the song makes him cringe a bit.

But then I thought about those songs in the context of that tour and their state of mind/heart going into it. Building this set list, they were probably in a nostalgic state of mind. How It Is takes on a different meaning for a man who is well down the healing road and looking simultaneously backward and forward - toward a different, brighter existence. I would bet Closer to the Heart evokes a lot of positive, feel good memories about fan interaction when they think about it, so not playing it again would have been hard. Lakeside Park might just be Geddy's little inside joke, but it could have been purposeful because the song is about nostalgia.... it made absolute sense to include it.

Perhaps the guys have all their songs on a spectrum. Maybe it's not completely love or completely hate with any of them. Maybe it's fluid. Kind of interesting to think of them in that way. It makes them a bit of a fan of their own work.

• Like 1

RUSH FANS UNITE!!

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

Edited by toymaker

PS I agree with you. I think those who are close to Neil probably find him to be a normal and generous person. He is probably awkward in situations with strangers and even more so awkward with fans who go all fanatical. I have said it before, he probably has a bit of a jerk streak in him.... but we all do. That' being human.

Heck, you could be describing me there. I think we (at least the three of us) are all in agreement that Neil is just a normal guy deep down.

• Like 1

RUSH FANS UNITE!!

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

http://rlv.zcache.com/dyslexics_of_the_world_untie_t_shirt-rdfd2576f542c4be6866e0f1a73aef588_f33wv_1024.jpg

For some of the buzzkills, it's really just the difference between having a new album to gripe about the production, or a new tour to gripe about the fact that Lee can't sing like he used to.

Wow, were did that come from? Time for a Coke.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Does anybody really need the see them live again at this point? I mean....the shows are great, but they can't possibly top the set list of the R40 show. If they want to record, I'm all for it, but I'm thinking maybe they should just ride off into the sunset as far as live shows. I know....I'll probably get some flack from those outside the U. S. of A:)

For some of the buzzkills, it's really just the difference between having a new album to gripe about the production, or a new tour to gripe about the fact that Lee can't sing like he used to.

Wow, were did that come from? Time for a Coke.

#truth

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust a damn thing Alex says based on his track record.

How many times has he actually been wrong? I'm only aware of the Jacob's Ladder mistake people like to bring up.

People like to pick on poor Alex but honestly he's right the majority of the time.

• Like 1

How many times has he actually been wrong? I'm only aware of the Jacob's Ladder mistake people like to bring up.

I can't think of many times he's been wrong about things, but he did say they would bring his double neck out for the CA tour

People like to pick on poor Alex but honestly he's right the majority of the time.

He's right until he's wrong, meaning, he was correct when he said it but then the plan changed. That's my take on the few times where he said something and it didn't happen. Take Jacob's Ladder. I surmise it survives set list cuts, Alex mentions it in the press, then by rehearsals Geddy says he doesn't feel it and wants to dropped and Alex says fine. That's my best guess.

• Like 1

He's right until he's wrong, meaning, he was correct when he said it but then the plan changed. That's my take on the few times where he said something and it didn't happen. Take Jacob's Ladder. I surmise it survives set list cuts, Alex mentions it in the press, then by rehearsals Geddy says he doesn't feel it and wants to dropped and Alex says fine. That's my best guess.

Right. Any time songs are mentioned or hinted at before a tour there's always a chance they might not make the cut.

New from Billboard:

"I'm getting very itchy," Lifeson says. "There's nothing specific we're looking at, but I think ultimately I'd like to get back in with Ged and start writing and then have Neil join in and take it from there. That's how we always start: [Lee] and I jamming, and we'll do that for a little while, and then Neil will start sending lyrics and we'll kind of piece it together with what we're doing. So I'm hoping that's somewhere in the near future."

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/148207

There is a new interview with Neil in Modern Drummer magazine. There are two bits I found interesting (both in the last few paragraphs). One is that Neil loves seeing people singing and air drumming along with the music. The other is this quote:

MD: What's in the future? If Rush isn't touring, will you still record? Write prose? Be a dad?

Neil: You just answered it. There's no strict answer, but those possibilities are all there.

So, we may still get new music from Rush! *fingers crossed*

:rush:

My fingers and Legs are crossed. They will do something down the road!