Favorite bass line in Rush song

GernTheFish

I'm going to break my choices down into a few different categories. Just some random choices off the top of my head. Not anywhere near complete or anything.

Ones that have given me the most grief over the years. Learning and playing.

Digital Man

YYZ

The Analog Kid

La Villa

Natural Science

Most enjoyable just to listen to, where Geddy is really in the groove.

Dreamline

The Body Electric

The Big Money

Marathon

Vital Signs

Most fun to play:

Tom Sawyer

Natural Science

Freewill

The Spirit of Radio

YYZ

Where's My Thing?

• Like 3

All of Rush´s albums are a " non confessed " bass album by themselves...with all respect to the wootens and sheehans of the world...Geddy stands up apart...only Jaco had that kind of creativity on the instrument.... :geddy:

Victor Wooten is one of the 3 most influential musicians to ever pick up the instrument. I love Geddy but he doesn't belong on the Mount Rushmore of Bass Players. He'd be on the 2nd group of four though.

The first four have to be Paul McCartney, James Jamerson, Victor Wooten and Jaco.

Then I'd go with Geddy(just barely over Chris Squire) Stanley Clarke, Steve Harris and John Entwistle.

• Like 1

All of Rush´s albums are a " non confessed " bass album by themselves...with all respect to the wootens and sheehans of the world...Geddy stands up apart...only Jaco had that kind of creativity on the instrument.... :geddy:

Victor Wooten is one of the 3 most influential musicians to ever pick up the instrument. I love Geddy but he doesn't belong on the Mount Rushmore of Bass Players. He'd be on the 2nd group of four though.

The first four have to be Paul McCartney, James Jamerson, Victor Wooten and Jaco.

Then I'd go with Geddy(just barely over Chris Squire) Stanley Clarke, Steve Harris and John Entwistle.

Influential to whom? He's not really done that much that's "unique". He's a lot like Marcus Miller in that sense. Lots of slapping technique and not much else.

• Like 3

No way in hell a frustrated guitarist makes it on the Mt Rushmore of bass

Why are you calling him a frustrated guitarist?

I think that first and foremost, bass is a foundation, and my favorites have that bottom end covered - balls and all

Victor Wooten - at least to my ear ( and eyes ) - approaches the bass as a lead instrument and as misses the mark as far as laying down that growl

I just don't feel he is balanced, and I see him as more of a lead player than a bass player

I think that first and foremost, bass is a foundation, and my favorites have that bottom end covered - balls and all

Victor Wooten - at least to my ear ( and eyes ) - approaches the bass as a lead instrument and as misses the mark as far as laying down that growl

I just don't feel he is balanced, and I see him as more of a lead player than a bass player

Ah I see. Yeah, I think he approaches bass as it's own instrument, not just a bottom end instrument, but I think Geddy does as well.

Ah I see. Yeah, I think he approaches bass as it's own instrument, not just a bottom end instrument, but I think Geddy does as well.

I disagree on Geddy ... Geddy is an incredible bass player - because I feel Geddy does approach the bass as a foundation and bottom end without thought to being a lead instrument ..

And in no way do I intend this disparagingly .. My best friend is a bassist, and he always jokes "Oh yeah, just ride the low E" and I don't mean that ...

Just personal taste - when I hear the bass in Circumstances, or something like Digital Man, I love it - I go back and listen and listen and it is inspiring ......

• Like 2

.... just listening to Countdown

.. all systems check, T minus nine, as the sun and drama start to mount . .

And then Geddy lays down that growl .. He's got such a perfect feel for what the song is - his bass is the foundation, but it is so good it is also the song too

• Like 2

I disagree on Geddy ... Geddy is an incredible bass player - because I feel Geddy does approach the bass as a foundation and bottom end without thought to being a lead instrument ..

And in no way do I intend this disparagingly .. My best friend is a bassist, and he always jokes "Oh yeah, just ride the low E" and I don't mean that ...

Just personal taste - when I hear the bass in Circumstances, or something like Digital Man, I love it - I go back and listen and listen and it is inspiring ......

Well I think they both do their own thing. One thing both Vic and Geddy have done for the the bass is expand what the definition of the instrument can be. Just like John Entwistle playing those little solos in My Generation, or Stanley Clarke playing the piccalo bass, or even someone like Michael Manring who plays 6 string solo bass, they all have broadened that definition. I love it. It's wonderful that the instrument has become so versatile and isn't just limited to playing root notes.

• Like 1

Surely you realize that these two tiers that you've constructed are insanely subjective. Everyone on the second tier has had as much influence as anyone on the first tier
  • Like 1

Surely you realize that these two tiers that you've constructed are insanely subjective. Everyone on the second tier has had as much influence as anyone on the first tier

If it were insanely subjective it'd be Kip Winger, Gene Simmons, Sheryl Crow and Dee Dee Ramone.

Edited by edhunter

Although there are other parts I enjoy, I think the verses on Turn the Page are very impressive, because they are a bitch to play whilst singing at the same time (I've tried)

This one

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ok, seriously. I guess lll go with one of my favs, i actually love it on Red Tide

If you want a close up look of Geddy's basslines you have to check out Troy on You Tube. Here's Digital Man:

http://youtu.be/AFWqyrIkK_Y

I've seen some of this guy's videos. He's good.

But can he doing while hopping on one leg?

I know this guy from another forum and it always cracks me up. He never has any expression on his face. May as well be Data playing.