What are your top 10 Rush songs

Tom_Sawyer99

People are going to kill me for my picks but...

1. Far Cry (Snakes & Arrows)

2. BU2B (Clockwork Angels)

3. Bravest Face (Snakes & Arrows)

4. YYZ (Moving Pictures)

5. How It Is (Vapor Trails)

6. Faithless (Snakes & Arrows)

7. Virtuality (Test for Echo)

8. Working Man (Rush)

9. Losing It (Signals)

10. Everyday Glory/Out of the Cradle (tied for 10th from Counterparts and Vapor Trails)

I like the new, harder rock music more than the older music. Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer are great songs but they aren't in my top 10.

Ok, but are Bravest Face, How It Is, and Faithless even hard?

Bravest Face and Faithless are and parts of How It Is are harder too.

Ok. Then, I disagree. I don't believe those songs are hard. Maybe our definition of "hard" differs.

Is a diamond hard? Is jell-o hard? Is grilled salmon hard?

Is there a difference between "hard rock" and "rock hard"

?

Yes.

One is a music genre.

The other describes my abs.

:LOL:

img_9030.jpg?w=570&h=427

That's obviously just the wind catching the front of his shorts...

People are going to kill me for my picks but...

1. Far Cry (Snakes & Arrows)

2. BU2B (Clockwork Angels)

3. Bravest Face (Snakes & Arrows)

4. YYZ (Moving Pictures)

5. How It Is (Vapor Trails)

6. Faithless (Snakes & Arrows)

7. Virtuality (Test for Echo)

8. Working Man (Rush)

9. Losing It (Signals)

10. Everyday Glory/Out of the Cradle (tied for 10th from Counterparts and Vapor Trails)

I like the new, harder rock music more than the older music. Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer are great songs but they aren't in my top 10.

Ok, but are Bravest Face, How It Is, and Faithless even hard?

Bravest Face and Faithless are and parts of How It Is are harder too.

Ok. Then, I disagree. I don't believe those songs are hard. Maybe our definition of "hard" differs.

Is a diamond hard? Is jell-o hard? Is grilled salmon hard?

Not the start of Bravest Face, but Faithless is a pretty hard song. By hard I mean like heavier music. Basically the opposite of Rivendell.

Well I have to apologise for my reply firstly. I am 50 years old and my Knowledge of Rush from the start up until Signals is Encyclopaedic. After that I am afraid I know f***ing Jack Shit. I would like to correspond with fellow fans who have followed our band since 82 onwards. Alex was my inspiration when I first was bought an electric in 1979 and I learnt all of the Rush songs from the first album up until Moving Pictures. He was my greatest hero and still remains to this day although later on I was influenced by EVH on lead guitar. But you know? Eddie loved Rush and you can hear his tribute to Alex on the "Pleasuredome" track from Van Halen's "f**k" album. So I think these two wonderful bands should be celebrated in equal measures. Alex was and is the most versatile and creative guitar player on the planet. He plays classical, acoustic, finger style, prog progressions and Led Zep type rock. Nobody has ever created a greater guitar sound than Alex with the possible exception of EVH. Alex managed to make a 3 piece band without keyboards pre 1982 sound bigger than any Progressive rock band with keyboards. He created a "massive" sound. Please just listen to "Hemispheres" which I believe is a very very underated album. That massive chord at the beginning - it is an F sharp 7 suspended 4th but not in the usual way. He just plays an F sharp Major and lets the top B and E strings just open and ring out! This would not normally sound very good but through that Hiwatt just overdriven to produce a powerful raunch and not too distorted and with the Roland Space Echo and Chorus it sounds heavenly brilliant!!! There is some studio flanging swirling about with the sound as well but I don't know what that is. Anyone enlighten me? Sorry for babbling on but to me the guitar sound on the Hemispheres album is just perfection, it does not get any better than that, end of!!
  • Like 2

Well I have to apologise for my reply firstly. I am 50 years old and my Knowledge of Rush from the start up until Signals is Encyclopaedic. After that I am afraid I know f***ing Jack Shit. I would like to correspond with fellow fans who have followed our band since 82 onwards. Alex was my inspiration when I first was bought an electric in 1979 and I learnt all of the Rush songs from the first album up until Moving Pictures. He was my greatest hero and still remains to this day although later on I was influenced by EVH on lead guitar. But you know? Eddie loved Rush and you can hear his tribute to Alex on the "Pleasuredome" track from Van Halen's "f**k" album. So I think these two wonderful bands should be celebrated in equal measures. Alex was and is the most versatile and creative guitar player on the planet. He plays classical, acoustic, finger style, prog progressions and Led Zep type rock. Nobody has ever created a greater guitar sound than Alex with the possible exception of EVH. Alex managed to make a 3 piece band without keyboards pre 1982 sound bigger than any Progressive rock band with keyboards. He created a "massive" sound. Please just listen to "Hemispheres" which I believe is a very very underated album. That massive chord at the beginning - it is an F sharp 7 suspended 4th but not in the usual way. He just plays an F sharp Major and lets the top B and E strings just open and ring out! This would not normally sound very good but through that Hiwatt just overdriven to produce a powerful raunch and not too distorted and with the Roland Space Echo and Chorus it sounds heavenly brilliant!!! There is some studio flanging swirling about with the sound as well but I don't know what that is. Anyone enlighten me? Sorry for babbling on but to me the guitar sound on the Hemispheres album is just perfection, it does not get any better than that, end of!!

Steve, how do you like being back in Journey??

• Like 3

Sorry I will get back to the topic. Please bear in mind that I an old fart so all of this come from 1981 or earlier.

10 - Closer To the Heart

9 - Fly By Night

8 - Finding My Way

7 - YYZ

6 - Freewill

5 - La Villa Strangiato

4 - Bastille Day

3 - The Trees

2 - Spirit of Radio

1 - Red Barchetta

• Like 2

Steve, how do you like being back in Journey??

Are you sure that's the right Steve Smith? I thought he was the Kennedy in-law come back from the other side to haunt us.

• Like 2

Sorry I forgot about one fabulous Rush song. Limelight XXXXXX Definitely one of Alex' finest work and I love it how the chorus is played in 3/4 time signature and at the end Neil starts playing a straight 4/4 over Alex and Geddy 3/4 time, just like Kashmir by Led Zep. Wonderful wonderful XXXX

Hello all Rush fans, I have loved the band for nearly 40 years since 78 XXX

What is really cool is that everyone at my school called me a total dork and loser when everyone in England was into punk rock. Now Rush are just about the coolest band on the planet. Just about every new rock band cites them as an influence. Aint it just f***ing great when you stick by your principles and beliefs and are proved right in the end?? !!!!! Happy days my fellow Rush lovers. Never EVER compromise what you really believe in. Peace and love, take care X

• Like 8

This is hopeless bah!! I am new here and I can not upload my profile photo. Also my membership name remains "long awaited froind" and I want to change it to "long awaited friend" Any mods please give me some advice here???

Can't remember how to do the photo thing because I've had the same one for a while - I think you have to upload it from photobucket or something like that. As for the froind thing, I think all new members are given that title - it's a nod to the first part of La Villa.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Tell us your favorites - album, song, whatever. And correctly answer the following skill-testing question: Do you consider Permanent Waves a 70s album, or an 80s album?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

This is hopeless bah!! I am new here and I can not upload my profile photo. Also my membership name remains "long awaited froind" and I want to change it to "long awaited friend" Any mods please give me some advice here???

You have to have a photo saved to your computer.

Can't remember how to do the photo thing because I've had the same one for a while - I think you have to upload it from photobucket or something like that. As for the froind thing, I think all new members are given that title - it's a nod to the first part of La Villa.

By the way, welcome to the forum! Tell us your favorites - album, song, whatever. And correctly answer the following skill-testing question: Do you consider Permanent Waves a 70s album, or an 80s album?

Yes, we await the correct answer to that question.

:popcorn:

Permanent Waves was recorded in 79 at the Rockfield Studio and released in 1980, I may be wrong, it has been a long time dude ha ha!

Yes Buenos Naches Mine Froinds yeh I get it now, sorry to be a dunce! bah!

And also I have a question for you. Why are the first pressings of Permanent Waves so sought after now?

Cheers dude, I just love how my favorite band when I was 13 in 1979 has become so cool now XXXXXX

Ok dude since you are not on line now I will tell you. Neil co-designed the cover of Permanent Waves. At the time the music was "New Wave" this wave and that wave. Neil's philosophy was well fashion comes and goes but class is permanent. I love all types of music, there are no styles just good music and bad music. My record collection has everything from The Carpenters and James Taylor to Mettallica and Nirvana and Soundgarden depending on how the mood takes me OK?

The cover featured that beautiful girl, her hairstyle was very popular in the 1950's and known as a "permanent wave" and a lot of background scenery referred back to the 1950's when Rock and Roll first came to the fore. That is maybe what Neil was trying to say - it is just still rock and roll whatever style it comes in.

As far as the prized first edition cover goes. See the Newspaper on the ground on the left? It was the New York Post from the 1953 US Election. It ran the headline "Dewey beats Truman" but they had got it wrong, Truman won the presidency that year. The New York Post lawyers contacted Rush management and threatened to sue, so the headline had to be blanked out. The original album cover with the very early releases with the headline on the paper is very very collectible now.

Thats awesome. Welcome Mr Smith. I am pretty much a Rush fan growed up on them since the Power Windows era onward but the reason I fell for them was because of classic songs like Subdivisions, Freewill, Limelight, Tom, etc. I think if you are a fan of crunchy heavy Alex you may really enjoy the albums from Counterparts onward. I love PoW because Alex really was at his peak utilizing textures and his energy was really infectious knowing he had to fit his notes inside a structure that was really limited to him. Check out his solo on Grand Designs from PoW. Really melodic and fiery.

1. Xanadu

2. Territories

3. The Anarchist

4. 2112: Oracle: The Dream

5. Subdivisions

6. The Body Electric

7. Red Barchetta

8. The Camera Eye

9. Far Cry

10. Carnies

I like a lot of the lesser known songs...

• Like 1

1. Xanadu

2. Territories

3. The Anarchist

4. 2112: Oracle: The Dream

5. Subdivisions

6. The Body Electric

7. Red Barchetta

8. The Camera Eye

9. Far Cry

10. Carnies

I like a lot of the lesser known songs...

Welcome to the forum Justus

Edited by Lucas

Welcome to the forum Steve

There will be no help, as the forum is sorta like Rollerball, or something

Or just imagine a small room full of feral cats, and you, being the newbie, is simply tossed in, the door shutting behind you

The membership names change as your post count goes up. You can be assigned a specific one when you've posted enough that people get an idea of your personality and know a bit more about you. And yeah, the profile pic has to be under a certain size or it won't upload.

I cannot give a top ten because my mood changes constantly.But here we go,

Red Barchetta

Xanadu

Countdown

The Trees

Earthshine

The Camera Eye

Marathon

Between the Wheels

Presto

Natural Science

List is subject to change without notice and no correnspondence will be entered into.Terms and conditions apply.

Ten is a tough call.

In chronological order:

1. Before and After

2. Anthem

3. In The End from ATWAS

4. 2112

5. Xanadu

6. The Trees w/Broons Bane intro from ESL

7. Free Will/Spirit of Radio tie

8. Natural Science

9. Tom Sawyer/Limelight tie

10. Witch Hunt/Camera Eye tie

Ask me tomorrow and the list might be very different.

• Like 2

Ten is a tough call.

In chronological order:

1. Before and After

2. Anthem

3. In The End from ATWAS

4. 2112

5. Xanadu

8. Natural Science

Great list

And good to see your posts again rftag !

• Like 1

Subdivisions

The Pass

Bravado

A Passage to Bangkok

Anthem

Bastille Day

A Farewell to Kings

Natural Science

Jacob's Ladder

Vital Signs

Welcome to the forum PS

He's a substitute for another guy...
  • Like 2

Ten is a tough call.

In chronological order:

1. Before and After

2. Anthem

3. In The End from ATWAS

4. 2112

5. Xanadu

8. Natural Science

Great list

And good to see your posts again rftag !

Thank you so much Lucas! Feels good to post here again. Been away too long.

• Like 1