...when I was a kid...

Tom Sawyer

was THE coolest TV star EVER!!

(and still is, and always will be IMHO)

http://i68.tinypic.com/64e5uc.jpg

live in a trailer by the beach, chain smoke and eat junk food and drive a Camaro...that's a real man!

Junk food? well he ate a lot of tacos, but it was FIREBIRD not a camaro, sheesh that's like mixing up a Corvette and a Chevette for crying out loud!! :P

pffft whatever. same car, different grill.
  • Like 1

live in a trailer by the beach, chain smoke and eat junk food and drive a Camaro...that's a real man!

Junk food? well he ate a lot of tacos, but it was FIREBIRD not a camaro, sheesh that's like mixing up a Corvette and a Chevette for crying out loud!! :P

I never really saw his appeal. Now Robert Conrad/James West....yes. :D

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-upKwv8u0Ez0/TufXkVdEtvI/AAAAAAAABBg/ECV2ypV9308/s1600/RobertConrad6_myfirstgaycrush.blogspot.com.jpg

Well yeah, James West was a cool mofo. Fun tv show! 19th century 007 and all that. But James Rockford was a regular guy and more identifiable. There's a greater chance of me eating crap and to struggle by living in a mobile home than to be agile and spring from my horse onto a moving train. ;)

pffft whatever. same car, different grill.

:LOL: Love it!

...I was Angus. :o

At the age of 10-11, a friend and I, tinkered us some wooden guitars and we rocked out to the whole If You Want Blood cassette.

We even had concerts in his garden, and the flowers were the audience. :LOL:

• Like 2

I used to run home from school so I could watch Speed Racer. There was only one video game, and it was called Pong. I probably put 1,000 miles on my Schwinn Stringray (with the banana seat) each summer. If you wanted to watch cartoons, you waited until Saturday morning. Nobody made you wear a seatbelt. We played outside all day, and sometimes into the night (playing Romans and Christians or Ghost in the Graveyard). I would stay up late on Saturday nights to Watch Belushi and Aykroyd on SNL, but I didn't get half the jokes.

Speed Racer 3:30 on Channel 32, with Magilla Gorilla, and the Banana Splits around the same time.

• Like 1

I used to run home from school so I could watch Speed Racer. There was only one video game, and it was called Pong. I probably put 1,000 miles on my Schwinn Stringray (with the banana seat) each summer. If you wanted to watch cartoons, you waited until Saturday morning. Nobody made you wear a seatbelt. We played outside all day, and sometimes into the night (playing Romans and Christians or Ghost in the Graveyard). I would stay up late on Saturday nights to Watch Belushi and Aykroyd on SNL, but I didn't get half the jokes.

Your childhood sounds a lot like mine, but I was in my teens when SNL started.

Sounds like both of you are around the same age as my older brothers, all of whom are now between 47-54.

Yep. I'm 46.

Funny story about SNL. We were on a family vacation in Michigan. I was probably 8 or 9. We were walking back to our hotel after getting ice cream, and I say to my father, "Dad, you're an ignorant slut." I had no idea what I was saying, and I probably would have gotten quite a beating but my mom was laughing so hard, my Dad couldn't help but laugh too. :)

• Like 5

Speed Racer 3:30 on Channel 32, with Magilla Gorilla, and the Banana Splits around the same time.

Wasn't Speed Racer on channel 44?

Wasn't Speed Racer on channel 44?

You might be right but I remember 32. I know 44 had Get Smart, Leave It To Beaver, and they'd run that ad for for Kenny Rogers guitar pickin fun strummin lessons, and Husker Du (not the band)

Your childhood sounds a lot like mine, but I was in my teens when SNL started.

Sounds like both of you are around the same age as my older brothers, all of whom are now between 47-54.

Yep. I'm 46.

Funny story about SNL. We were on a family vacation in Michigan. I was probably 8 or 9. We were walking back to our hotel after getting ice cream, and I say to my father, "Dad, you're an ignorant slut." I had no idea what I was saying, and I probably would have gotten quite a beating but my mom was laughing so hard, my Dad couldn't help but laugh too. :)

Oh man, that's a great story. There are tons of similar stories in our family too. And we STILL bring them up at family gatherings. :)

• Like 1

had a 5 speed bike with a center shifter, long handlebars, sissy-bar, clothes-pin hold playing cards in spokes, towing a homemade wooden hydroplane! Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 2

I had a telescope. It was pretty cheap. It rusted out fairly quickly, and it wasn't all that powerful.....

.....but to me, it was AWESOME. I followed the paths of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter every night, marveled at the rings of Saturn, and charted the position of sunspots as they moved around the Sun. I would check out the Orion Nebula and the Pleiades, and during solar eclipses, I could see the rough surface of the edge of the moon as it crossed the Sun's disc......

Oh, man.......I'm getting all verklempt!! :doh: :LOL:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

- I used to play with these colorful sticks. I had to move the one I wanted and earned points according to the color. The black one made the players win 50 points:

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s649/petuniadecristal/Rush_References/varetas_zpsih48n538.jpg

- Also used to play the old version of Prince of Persia:

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s649/petuniadecristal/Rush_References/prince-of-persia_zpssny5ovyt.jpg

- And used to play this game:

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s649/petuniadecristal/Rush_References/GV5990_zpsctakqzia.jpg

Edited by rhyv

My game "platform" was an Atari 2600.

I rode my Schwinn Stingray to the furthest reaches of the neighborhood... no one minded.

My folks would sometimes leave me and my sister in the back seat of the Chevy Malibu while they picked up a few things in the store... no one minded.

We would play in a gravel pit with junk and have roman candle wars, play with rocket engines without using the rocket body, that kind of fun stuff.

...Yeah, had to walk to school in wind storms and snow. This was Anchorage, Alaska in the '70's. Deal with it.

Got in fights at school. Got a "swat" from the principal, and a spanking when I got home for creating a ruckus.

Going to Pizza Hut on Muldoon Rd. was a treat.

Dad would buy me firecrackers and M-80's. He taught me how to use a rifle.

• Like 2

...had an actual Big Wheel and was sure the moon was following me.

...rode many times in the back of a pickup truck long distances without wearing seat belts.

...went round trip from the Bay Area to LA in my dads Corvette. I was 2.

...the Bee Gees were a contemporary popular music act

• Like 1

When I was a kid, older people always whinged about how life wasn't like it was when they were a kid.

Oh, and when I was a kid, I like Disney, ABBA and chart pop.

They had DELICIOUS orange flavored baby aspirin (you know where this is going) and after my sister and I made a few tries at the bottle it was banned from our house. Doctors really had much fewer choices as far as Rx's and that was the mark of being really ill in our house- going to the Dr., because all he ever gave out was codeine or penicillin, my mom made sure we were pretty sick, first!
  • Like 1

They had DELICIOUS orange flavored baby aspirin (you know where this is going) and after my sister and I made a few tries at the bottle it was banned from our house.

http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/351152/300.JPG

:drool: :drool: :drool:

In 4th grade, I ate a whole box of these:

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/images/products/cough_drops/smithbrothers_wildcherry_coughdrops.jpg

Puked it all up in the hallway, right by the teacher...... :doh:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

They had DELICIOUS orange flavored baby aspirin (you know where this is going) and after my sister and I made a few tries at the bottle it was banned from our house.

http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/351152/300.JPG

:drool: :drool: :drool:

In 4th grade, I ate a whole box of these:

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/images/products/cough_drops/smithbrothers_wildcherry_coughdrops.jpg

Puked it all up in the hallway, right by the teacher...... :doh:

My nephew ate an entire bottle of Flintstones vitamins. Didn't get sick but had a bit of a stomachache.

• Like 2

My game "platform" was an Atari 2600.

I rode my Schwinn Stingray to the furthest reaches of the neighborhood... no one minded.

My folks would sometimes leave me and my sister in the back seat of the Chevy Malibu while they picked up a few things in the store... no one minded.

We would play in a gravel pit with junk and have roman candle wars, play with rocket engines without using the rocket body, that kind of fun stuff.

...Yeah, had to walk to school in wind storms and snow. This was Anchorage, Alaska in the '70's. Deal with it.

Got in fights at school. Got a "swat" from the principal, and a spanking when I got home for creating a ruckus.

Going to Pizza Hut on Muldoon Rd. was a treat.

Dad would buy me firecrackers and M-80's. He taught me how to use a rifle.

That Pizza Hut,

Is now some Japanese type of restaurant.

In the early 90s, Race For Your Life was in heavy HBO rotation so I saw it when I visited my dad on weekends.

• Like 1

:clap: Walt Disney

every Sunday night. Then bed time.

I remember Wild Kingdom and then Disney.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 4