Fixing Corrupt Registry - Windows 7

Principled Man

My Dell 8300 is not booting up properly.

For whatever reason, I have no restore points, so I can't do a System Restore.

My computer tells me that my Registry is corrupt.

Can anyone help me or refer me to any products I can buy?

Thanks!!

There's lots of 'cleaners' available, but unless you have something you can restore to, my solution is usually nuke it and reload everything. Even with the cleaners, there's a good chance you'll have nagging problems going forward. Nuking and reloading cleans out all the nasty junk that's been accumulating in your registry. Think of it as a colonic for your PC.

I cannot wipe it clean or reload Windows. My niece has her entire semester's work on my computer, and if she loses it, she's totally screwed. I also have files that I dare not lose.

Best Buy has software products which claim to fix registry problems (along with lots of other services). Prices range from 20 to 40 bucks and higher. This is a common problem, but I don't trust myself to go into command prompt and start telling the computer to do things.....:doh:

Well good luck with the Geek Squad boys.

Might be worthwhile getting some type of backup service so it's not as painful if it craps again. I use Crashplan. It backs up to the cloud when you're not using your computer. Set it and forget it. External flash/hard drives are generally ok as well to use for backup, but they don't protect in case of fire or theft...and you have to make an effort to backup. Best Buy probably has a cloud backup service that they'll try to push on you.

I cannot wipe it clean or reload Windows. My niece has her entire semester's work on my computer, and if she loses it, she's totally screwed. I also have files that I dare not lose.

Best Buy has software products which claim to fix registry problems (along with lots of other services). Prices range from 20 to 40 bucks and higher. This is a common problem, but I don't trust myself to go into command prompt and start telling the computer to do things..... :doh:

I got my original degree before computers :codger: but when I was taking classes later on, I used to email everything to myself as I did it, as kind of a cloud back up. I know, it's easy to come up with lots of ideas and suggestions after the fact. . . . we found that out after we got home from vacation this year and the neighbors told us lightning had struck the back yard. Luckily we didn't lose the computer but did lose 2 cable boxes, monitor, router and modem. I started backing up all my photos in the cloud after that, (like my husband had been telling me to do for years! :D) Good luck!