The History of Rush In Chart Form

MrMan

Hi all. Am new here but a longtime Rush fan. Have been reading through some of the threads and find the opinions and insights quite interesing, especially the debates about when Geddy's voice changed and why Power Windows is the best/worst album of all.

I'm a big fan of visuals and put together a webpage charting the history of Rush. I hope you'll check it out and find it interesting. You can find it here: http://lifeismusic.m...-in-chart-form/

• Like 1

That was fascinating look at their history chart wise however the charterer appears to be love him some PW.

Yeah, I noticed that too - seemed like one guy's opinion charted out a million different ways

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 4

The release counts aren't right, either. You've missed a couple live releases and videos somewhere.

I go into that on the post. The basic gist of it is that for the band's first 20 years they released 600 minutes of studio material compared to 200 minutes of live material; little of that live material was duplicative.

Since then, however, they've produced 210 minutes of studio content and 1,100 minutes of live material. Much of this live material is duplicative. Add the fact Geddy's voice has declined dramatically over the last 10 years or so...and I see no need to buy a new live release where 90% of the songs already appear on previous live albums and feature versions inferior to previous versions.

What I wrote on the post:

I'll make one comment on this situation. On the one hand, who cares if Rush wants to put out a live document of every tour now? No one forces me or any other fans to buy them, it's our choice. On the other hand, it does seem a nakedly commercial money-grab; an attitude that is in conflict with the band's overarcing themes and messages.

I would much prefer the band mine their rich history for previous live documents that would capture them in their prime. They kind of did this with the ABC 1974 release, but that's from the band's first tour, before they really hit their stride. I think fans would eagerly pay for complete live shows from their 1975 to 1988 prime (I know I would).

Edited by MrMan

The release counts aren't right, either. You've missed a couple live releases and videos somewhere.

I go into that on the post. The basic gist of it is that for the band's first 20 years they released 600 minutes of studio material compared to 200 minutes of live material; little of that live material was duplicative.

Since then, however, they've produced 210 minutes of studio content and 1,100 minutes of live material. Much of this live material is duplicative. Add the fact Geddy's voice has declined dramatically over the last 10 years or so...and I see no need to buy a new live release where 90% of the songs already appear on previous live albums and feature versions inferior to previous versions.

I'll make one comment on this situation. On the one hand, who cares if Rush wants to put out a live document of every tour now? No one forces me or any other fans to buy them, it's our choice. On the other hand, it does seem a nakedly commercial money-grab; an attitude that is in conflict with the band's overarcing themes and messages.

I would much prefer the band mine their rich history for previous live documents that would capture them in their prime. They kind of did this with the ABC 1974 release, but that's from the band's first tour, before they really hit their stride. I think fans would eagerly pay for complete live shows from their 1975 to 1988 prime (I know I would).

Rush had nothing to do with the "ABC1974" release.

They authorized it in as much as they didn't block it's release. It shouldn't go in the catalog tho.

They authorized it in as much as they didn't block it's release. It shouldn't go in the catalog tho.

I'm not sure if they could legally block it under European laws...