The Caress Of Steel Appreciation Thread

Cygnus 2112

Cracking stuff, their first "great" album I would say.

Ooh I can like posts again!

How could I have reached my quota, only to be able to continue liking posts two hours later!?

Cracking stuff, their first "great" album I would say.

Ooh I can like posts again!

How could I have reached my quota, only to be able to continue liking posts two hours later!?

I believe that on the International Date Line, it just became tomorrow.

Seems as good an explanation as any, I dunno... :huh:

• Like 1

Caress is an awesome rock and roll album. I think that with two songs taking up nearly three quarters of its length, that may be why it didn't attract a lot of attention among the masses. But hey, screw them!
  • Like 2

Using a 0-4 point scale...

Bastille Day: 4/4

I Think I'm Going Bald: 2/4

Lakeside Park: 3/4

The Necromancer: 2/4

The Fountain of Lamneth: 3/4

Total points: 14/20

Average: 2.8

Percentage: 70%

My visual image of Caress of Steel:

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg

A rough and tough, messy brawl that still manages a victory

• Like 1

Yeah…not gonna weigh in on this one.

Why not?

Let's just say it's my 19th favorite Rush album, okay? ;)

Edited by Disk98

I love it

The Necromancer is RUSH at their Formula 455 Trans Am best

Had they recorded Garden Road and put it on instead of I Think I'm Going Bald, it might very well have been my favorite album

No One At The Bridge is probably the most underappreciated piece of music RUSH ever did, next to Tears .

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/JphWi_GOIao/hqdefault.jpg

You had me until Tears…. :facepalm:
  • Like 2

I've always loved everything about this album. It is the perfect blend of sheer raw energy, artistic creativity, and masterful musicianship. And aside from the amazing songs, the name and cover of the album are also as good as it gets. There could never be a more perfect name for a Rush album (especially the earlier stuff) than Caress of Steel. It perfectly describes Rush's sound and style. And the album cover artwork just flat out BAAAAADASSSSSSS!

GREAT THREAD!!!!!!

• Like 2

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/frank_frazetta_thebarbarian.jpg

That's a Conan novel cover isn't it?

• Like 1

Due to its bad reputation, I put off even listening to CoS for a really long time. And that was a big mistake. It's an awesome record, one of their 10 best for sure. Love the experimentation and reckless abandon of the band assuming its identity and stretching its wings. Alex is particularly on fire, sounding so sure of himself. Once I got past the goofy narration of Necromancer, it became one of my favorite Rush tunes. Only Bald isn't a classic and even that one still rocks and is kinda fun.
  • Like 5

That's a Conan novel cover isn't it?

http://users.rcn.com/fpage/level1/pictures/book5.jpg

I think of Conan books when I listen to Caress of Steel. I think of John Hughes films when I listen to Power Windows...not that that's bad, sometimes it's even GOOD, but you know what I'm saying

• Like 1

I love it

The Necromancer is RUSH at their Formula 455 Trans Am best

Had they recorded Garden Road and put it on instead of I Think I'm Going Bald, it might very well have been my favorite album

No One At The Bridge is probably the most underappreciated piece of music RUSH ever did, next to Tears .

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/JphWi_GOIao/hqdefault.jpg

You had me until Tears…. :facepalm:

I knew that would probably happen when I wrote it

Oh well

It's RUSH

• Like 1

Caress of Steel was similar to Hearts Heartless album. Very under appreciated, short, sweet and never quite up to what the band wanted it to be.
  • Like 1

Caress of Steel was similar to Hearts Heartless album. Very under appreciated, short, sweet and never quite up to what the band wanted it to be.

Interesting assessment. Not necessarily disagreeing, except when it comes to short, and sweet. Haha. Sweet is not an adjective I would choose to describe this album (not sweet as in kind-hearted and nice, anyway)...and it remained their longest studio album, up until Hold Your Fire.

Not terribly important to point that out, I know. Just sitting here thinking, on a Saturday afternoon...

• Like 2

I agree, I know today at least Geddy ranks it as their worst album. I must disagree with him though, I think it's among their best.

• Like 1

I agree, I know today at least Geddy ranks it as their worst album. I must disagree with him though, I think it's among their best.

I think it's great but I'd put most of the other 70's albums ahead of it.

• Like 1

I agree, I know today at least Geddy ranks it as their worst album.

Not quite. When he was asked to rank the first 8 on That Metal Show, he put FBN last.

Right. FBN last because it was the first album with Neil and they were still feeling their way together as a new band.